Passenger Side Window Wont Go Down Or Up | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Passenger Side Window Wont Go Down Or Up

BlackOut33

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Ford Explorer Ltd
Hey Guys

Finished work today started up the SUV had the heat on windows got a bit Foggy put down the drivers window she went down no problems and up..Try the passenger side window it wont go up or down at all...

When I press the button you can see the light flash like it knows your making contact with it but it doesnt do anything.

I dont know what the heck the issue is anymore but it was working fine yesterday with no issues

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated guys!

It is a bit cold over here but I dont think thats my issue because all of the other windows would be acting up?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I had similar electrical issues with my '02 XLT. The dome lights would stay on until the battery saver feature turned them off, the accessory delay wasn't working, the driver side puddle light didn't work, the keypad on the door would set off the alarm when I pressed it, the door ajar light would flash and beep at highway speeds, the radio would shut off as soon as I turned the key off, the alarm would beep twice when I armed it. Recently all 4 windows stopped working. Most recently the driver door lock actuator stopped working.

A lot of electrical issues can be traced back to broken/damaged wire(s) in the boot between the body and the driver's door. I found 3 broken wires and repaired them. The thin black ground wire was broken and after repairing it all was back to normal. When the windows stopped working, I repaired the thick black ground wire and the windows now work like a champ. I had to repair the pink/black wire to fix the driver door lock actuator.

Here is the thread for removing the door panel: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums//showthread.php?t=303524

Here is a great thread for checking for broken/damaged wires, thanks to synyster for this awesome write-up: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums//showthread.php?t=270081

Be sure to take your time when looking for broken/damaged wire(s). Check all the wires for breaks/damage. When you think you're done looking, look again, and again, and again. A bright flashlight can be very helpful.

Exproblems had the same thing happen to him recently and it turned out to be the white/yellow wire.

Good luck with the fix!! :biggthump

Hey buddy thank you im not handy when it comes to this so im going to ask a friend of mine to give me a hand on it...Im stumped

Good deal. let me know if you need anything else. I have the shop manuals.

Good luck getting it sorted.

BigRondo, Guess what

I go outside start up the truck leave open the drivers side door use the up or down for the passenger side and window goes up and also down

I shut the door try both sides nothing

What the heck?

That's because you have a broken wire in the boot!!

Let me know how I can ill have my buddy give me a hand

Exproblems explaining how he repaired the broken white/yellow wire when he was having problems with his front passenger window:

It also sounds like you have a window wire broken in the rubber boot of your door jam that works once in a while from the jarring motion. The two wire ends connect for a brief time and the window works, then seperate again breaking the power connection to the window. If the driver side door buttons for the passenger side window are not working then I would start in the driver side door boot checking for a broken wire.
Take off the inner door panel, then remove the door speaker and use the speaker hole as an access port for your hand. Reach into the inner door and push the rubber door jam boot out of the door itself and into the area between the door and the body of the vehicle. Then start pulling on each wire that comes off of the "window buttons plug harness" carefully, where they go from the inner door into the rubber door jam boot and see if any pull back into the inner door area broken off. You only need to check the wires coming off of the window button harness plug if that is the only thing not working right as of now. Repair any corresponding colored wires that are broken off, but I would pay close attention to a larger diameter "white/yellow striped" wire. This is a power wire to the front passenger side window and I know this because I just repaired this same colored wire a few weeks ago.. The other end of any broken wire should be inside of the rubber boot itself. Broken wires in the door jam rubber boot are a common problem on these Explorers.

Exproblems explaining how he repaired the broken white/yellow wire when he was having problems with his front passenger window:

Thanks BR! You beat me to it! :) As I was reading each post and saw the direction they were going in, I was about to go over to this other post of mine and copy it for Blackout to read. Good luck to your Pats this weekend with Houston and tough loss on Edelman, the Pats utility guy.

BigRondo, Guess what

I go outside start up the truck leave open the drivers side door use the up or down for the passenger side and window goes up and also down

I shut the door try both sides nothing

What the heck?

That happened because when you opened the door, you briefly connected both broken ends of the wire in the door boot and the window switch worked, but when you closed the door, the broken ends of the wire seperated again and the switch will not work. You basically opened and closed the distance gap between the two broken wire ends when you opened and closed the door. Let me know if you need any help with repairing the broken wire ends together.

Hey Exproblems havent got a chance at doing it yet but soon as I can get a hold of my buddy he will show me how to do it.
Thank you tho
Do you have any pictures of what the wire looks like that was broken how do you fix it?

Hey Exproblems havent got a chance at doing it yet but soon as I can get a hold of my buddy he will show me how to do it.
Thank you tho
Do you have any pictures of what the wire looks like that was broken how do you fix it?

No, I don't have any photos of the repair I did. The wire I found broken in my drivers side rubber door boot was a "white/yellow striped" wire that is a larger diameter wire than a lot of the other wires in the door boot. It was a power wire for the passenger side window. This wire connects into the wire plug harness that plugs into the window buttons pad on the bottom of your driver side arm rest control pad. Once I repaired this wire, my passenger side window worked again. To repair the broken ends together, you need to get a foot (just for extra play/length in the new wire connection) or so of 12 gauge wire and at least (2) 12 gauge rated "wire butt connectors" that you use to connect the wire ends together with by "crimping" the wire connectors over the wire ends. You will crimp one connector and new section of 12 gauge wire to the broken half of wire in the rubber boot area and the other broken end of the wire you will crimp with a wire connector and other end of the new wire section inside the door body itself, doing it thru the speaker hole. You want to make sure you get a good, solid "crimp" on the wire connectors, using a wire connector crimping tool. You want to leave some extra loose play in the new wire repair at the rubber door boot, so the repaired wire has room to flex safely when the door is opened and closed. Any extra loose wire inside the door itself you can just tie up to the wiring bundle using a plastic zip tie, just to keep it out of the way of the window going up and down.
Another way to repair the broken wire ends together with a new section of 12 gauge wire is by "soldering" them together and you would use a shrink tube over each soldered end of the wire to protect the repair from water and the elements. The shrink tubes "shrink and seal" by applying heat(heat gun) or a brief flame(small butane torch) to them and they provide a water proof seal. You slide the shrink tube over the wire before you make the soldered repair, then slide them into place over the newly soldered area and then apply the heat to make them shrink in place.

Thanks BR! You beat me to it! :) As I was reading each post and saw the direction they were going in, I was about to go over to this other post of mine and copy it for Blackout to read. Good luck to your Pats this weekend with Houston and tough loss on Edelman, the Pats utility guy.

Loosing Edelman is not good. Monday night @ home for the Pats. Should be a good game. Bills hosting the Rams. I'm going with the Bills. How is the point total with your buddy going?

BlackOut33, sorry about the hijack.

Now back to the thread. ;)

Any luck getting it sorted? :dunno:

BigRondo how's it going buddy? I haven't had a chance yet been waiting for my buddy mechanic to have a look at it but he's been busy. Most likely sometime this week or next weekend I'll have it fixed.

Wish sometimes I was more of a handy man when it comes to this kind of stuff.
My father was a handy man but unfortunately he's not around anymore he passed 2 years ago
This baby I ride was his now mine so I'm just trying to keep up with it.

Wish you guys were close to me id have one of u guys come by.

No worries. Sorry about your Dad. Its nice that you're keeping the Ex going.

Good luck and be sure to keep us posted.

BigRondo, Thank you its been a hard 2 years without him and I really do miss him. I keep that SUV up and running as best as I can just to keep the memories going. I know its just a vehicle couple friends of mine and family members think im crazy but you know thats the only thing I have left that belonged to my Papa so I just really pamper it

I know its got 195 thousand clicks on it already but every mechanic and sees it tells me looks like it just drove off the LOT keep up the great work you Father is proud as hell of you and if you were my son id feel the same way as well....

Its comforting and it keeps me smiling when I see it all fine tuned and all that!

I know what you mean. My Dad passed last December 20th. We buried him 2 days before Christmas.

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=339950

He taught me how to work on cars. I used to love working on his car with him, although he would yell a lot if I handed him the wrong tool. :D

Keep the Ex going - your Dad is proud!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks BigRondo my father was the exact same a very handy man and I always watched him but he would yell at me as well if I gave him the wrong tool

I'm going to keep his suv till the day it's done.

My dad always told me ride it to the ground and take good care of it.

Which I still do.

Sometimes I can feel him smiling down which helps me keep going every day.

Holidays are the worst because you think about him a lot especially when you walk by the tool Isle lots of toys he would love to have but he's no longer here

Take care bro and ill keep you updated

Thanks

Back