Pins in Wiring Harness on PCM connector | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Pins in Wiring Harness on PCM connector

Scouser102

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2010 Explorer XLT 4X4
Does anyone have pictures or video of how to remove the pins from the PCM connector? I have 2 of them which are not making good contact (move the wires and you can see them work/not work)
want to take them out and tighten them up or even replace them if anyone knows where I can get the actual pins to go on the wires.
hate to replace a harness for 2 pins. Also hate to try to wire in an entire connector for just 2 pins.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I think a 2010 PCM still has a 170 way TE header with two 50 way plugs and one 70 way plug. If so, you are looking for a GET 0.64 female terminal, TE Connectivity PN 1393364-1. Here is the print.

http://www.mouser.com/ds/2/418/NG_CD_1393364_C1-647689.pdf

Here is an application spec that shows the crimping tool and the extraction tool for the sockets.
http://www.te.com/commerce/DocumentDelivery/DDEController?Action=showdoc&DocId=Specification+Or+Standard114-13060CpdfEnglishENG_SS_114-13060_C.pdf1393366-1

You don't need the extraction tool to get the sockets out. There is a hanging beam inside each circuit in the plug housing that can be pushed back with a very small pick or awl. Look at page 7 (figure 10) of this document to see cross sections. This document is for a different connector but it is in the same family and uses the same socket and latch setup.

http://www.te.com/commerce/DocumentDelivery/DDEController?Action=showdoc&DocId=Specification+Or+Standard114-13150CpdfEnglishENG_SS_114-13150_C.pdf1411001-2

You will have to pop the red cover (TPA) off. Watch this video for some good general information, and pay particular attention at about 7:40 to the way he pries the hanging beam up on the cutaway part. This is the same style beam.

Look at about 2:40 of this video. Different connector, same principle.

There are also four 1.5 mm pins in each of those plugs. I am assuming you are working with the smaller 0.64 pins.

I know these connectors well. I was involved in bringing them out of development into production.

Thank you very much, this is exactly what I was looking for.
I am now looking to source the female terminals.
I am asking some manufacturers in china if they meet the specifications, Found this one.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/20-...56Pin-ECU-terminal-for-VW-BMW/1880178867.html
once I hear if they are to the same spec I can order in lower quantities.
I will also call Mouser as they are about 1.5 hour drive from me to see if they have just a couple of them. If they do I will drive down there and pick them up.

Yes the 2010 has 3 connectors on the PCM not the single connector like older models.
Looks like I have 2 terminals where the spring beams are flattened out so they no longer make good contact. I can see this by applying some pressure to the wire and on my laptop using ForScan see the fault, no fault condition change. It is tripping the P0443 and P0403 code and sending my FRP to 70+ PSI.
All of these pins got covered with Silicon Engine Dressing by a dealer, the vapor seeps into the connector and coats them causing bad connections, After cleaning them it worked temporarily but the fact I can move a wire and see the condition change means its time to replace. Dealer wanted to change the entire harness.
I also had issues with the EGR and Throttle Position connectors which I replaced with pigtails from the salvage yard.
It is a hard issue to track down as you can take the connector off and test out with VOM and everything looks fine, makes you think the PCM could be bad when it is not. In fact I sent the PCM off for repair but they sent it back with no problem found. they did however sand blast the pins and housing of the PCM to not get dirt and oil at their workstation and it worked for a month when it came back. the sand blast cleaned the Silicon off the pins giving it a better contact but the vapor seeped back in there. Now with testing and cleaning I have the 2 bad terminals.

I will update this thread if the source in China is to spec so others can order in lower quantities.

Quick update, Mouser had a broken strip and will cut 20 pieces off for me, ready in 1 hour for pickup. So I will have them today.
If anyone needs some the broken strip had 8700 on it. (they sell in quantities of 10,000) but you have to call to order them.

Glad to help, and I'm glad to see that you could find someone to give you less than a full reel of contacts.

Back