Please help!!1998 4x4 VSpeedSensor where is this thing!! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Please help!!1998 4x4 VSpeedSensor where is this thing!!

rainbow9

Reaction score
City, State
avon new york
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 xlt
Hello again and thanks ahead guys..

I'm going crazy here trying to get my speedometer to work.:mad: I bought and replaced the differential mounted ABS speed sensor. Still get a check engine light and code for Vehicle Speed Sensor? Had the codes run at Auto Zone.

The guy says there is a gear driven speed sensor on the transmission and sold me one. I have been scouring the tranny in the garage, CANNOT find. I do see a sensor on top portion of tranny drivers side that looks like the one I replaced on the Rear Differential??

Going nuts here looks like an easy fix and can't afford a mechanic. Please help. I think in 1998 they did away with the gear driven speed sensor. Thanks again

1998 4x4 4dr. V6 SOHC

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

wiring checked out good. check engine still on and 0500 code for VSS.

Could it be a fuse? Where is it located? The ABS light has been on for 5 years. Could the front sensor's be bad? How much is a ABS control module cost to replace. Thanks again!!

goes hand in hand since the speed sensor and rear abs sensor are the same component. I still think you have a bad connection in the signal path to the pcm.

VSS goes from differential to 4 Wheel anti lock brake module pins 1(LG/BLK) and 17(R/PNK).
Leaves brake module at pin 10 (GY/BLK wire) and goes to pcm and all other vss Dependant devices (GY/BLK)-instrument cluster pin 1 C-287 (GY/BLK).

Excerpt from the manual-last test in the sequence. The other tests require removing the instrument cluster to check for bad speedo or circuit board.
Measure the resistance between anti-lock brake control module C186-10, circuit 679 (GY/BK), and instrument cluster C287-1, circuit 679 (GY/BK).

Is the resistance less than 5 ohms?
Yes
REPLACE the speedometer. TEST the system for normal operation.

No
REPAIR circuit 679 (GY/BK). TEST the system for normal operation.

Guys , found a broken ASB cable on the passenger side. ..re spliced and ALL SET!! speedo works perfect. Did replace the ABS speed sensor on the differential..easy job.

For the guy at ADVANCED AUTO:there is NO:mad:gear driven speed sensor on the tranny for the 98s!!! Ready for another 228,000 miles..Thanks again

I am having a similar problem but no abs light coming on. Did you ABS light come on without a bad cable/wire? My speedometer typically works for a 1 to 5 miles and either stops working or bounces up and down and then stop working. Like you, changed the diff sensor and visually checked the wiring from back to front. Still need to check front wire but wondering if if is even a possibility given that the light is not on. Anyone else with ideas. Also, this is a 1998 AWB 5.0 and I did run some smaller OD tires for a month or two if that may have damaged something I don't know. Did disconnect the battery to see if that would help but it did not.

Yes, my speedo was doing the exact same thing..sometimes work for a few miles the stop all together ..on and off for months. I think you should have the codes read, when I did at AutoZone for free, the reading said damaged VSS sensor or wire to sensor. My ABS light was on for 4 years, the wire on the passenger side had cracks in it and finally busted in half..probably when 4x4ing during huntin season. This is when the speedo went bonkers.

The speedo in the 98's is a 3 way electonic sensor sytem (2front ABS sensors and rear diff sensor to PCM, or ABS module and sends the signal to the dash. Again NO gear driven sensor on your truck!! When the right side ABS wire finally busted the readings went wild ..on and off with the speedo. Check the codes and the wires to the front guy.

Also NEVER have differing OD tires on this truck..AWD needs the same OD. I also ran for 2 years with a smaller left front than right front and started wearing out wheel hub assemblies..3 to be exact..and expert on these now!! I'm convinced this started the problems with the ABS light and eventually the speedo..

I am not a mechanic so I ofer a blue-collar poke n hope type of advice..so far I am surviving...:)...233,000 miles good luck keep us posted!!

Also..you don't need a new speedometer.its definetly an electronic problem.If the speed o was junk the needle would stick or not move at all..more prevelant on the gear driven speedos.

I am having a similar problem but no abs light coming on. Did you ABS light come on without a bad cable/wire? My speedometer typically works for a 1 to 5 miles and either stops working or bounces up and down and then stop working. Like you, changed the diff sensor and visually checked the wiring from back to front. Still need to check front wire but wondering if if is even a possibility given that the light is not on. Anyone else with ideas. Also, this is a 1998 AWB 5.0 and I did run some smaller OD tires for a month or two if that may have damaged something I don't know. Did disconnect the battery to see if that would help but it did not.

The quick and dirty check would be to verify whether or not the cruise control works properly. If the cruise works as it should, the problem is either the wiring or the gauge. If the cruise doesn't work, odds are the VSS signal is not coming from the ABS control module like it should and you need to dig deeper.

But as was already mentioned, there is no discrete VSS on a 98.

1999 AWD 5.0 problem

Hey guys, I am having the same problem with a 99 X limited 5.0 I just picked up. The speedo, cruise control, and i'm thinking the odometer aren't working at all. The abs light is on also. I have made several trips to autozone, first trip they gave me a gear driven VSS and i exchanged it for the rear wheel speed sensor but no glory. Now i find out that there is no gear driven vss so i'm not sure what to do. When i bought the thing it had a set of WAY oversized 20" rims and tires on it (found some stockers to put on today) Could that have anything to do with it?
and since the abs light is on would it be the wiring between the diff sensor and the abs module?

Back