• Register Today It's free!

Poor Mileage, Runs Great Though

captaineric

Reaction score
City, State
Bellingham, Washington
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 Sport
Have a Jasper rebuilt engine in my '92 Sport and the mileage is lousy, around 13 or so (was around 15 when the engine was new but has dropped over the past several thousand miles). Checked the fuel pressure regulator and pressure is fine at 34 psi with no sign of leakage into the vacuum line. However, pressure drops to 0 immediately after shutdown. But, engine always starts right up if I turn the key on until I hear the fuel pump stop running before cranking. No CEL's noticed. Want to change the O2 sensor but looks like a ***** to get to the plug connector on the back of the engine block. Any suggestions? Have ordered a new FPR since I have the original and figure it's time to change it regardless of the gauge readings. Any other ideas? Engine runs great! Good power, no hesitation, smooth idle.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I know you are new to the site, but PLEASE DO NOT DOUBLE POST..... give it itme, people will answer your questions, there are over 20,000 members on here, most are somewhat knowledgeable ;)

Double post

Sorry about the double post. I was on the telephone at the time and lost track of what I was doing.

ok ;) as long as it was a legitimate mistake, just dont let it happen again ;) welcome to the site though, i dont htink i am being much help although im trying... hopefully some of hte otehr guys will chime in soon.... however, its late... and after certain hours its pretty much only me and a handful of other people that post..... until the morning hours

How about the obvious, air filter, plugs and wires, fuel system cleaning, proper tire pressure, ect. You can try cleaning the mass air flow sensor (search on this site for instructions). You can reset the computer. Also don't forget in the winter the engine should be warmed up before driving, and it will run rich (extra gas) until it reaches normal operation temperature.

Back