Possible to switch compressors? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Possible to switch compressors?

tuckersofswhoust

Reaction score
I have 93 4.0 Aerostar with factory front & rear air. The third compressor just went out from black death. Each time EVERYTHING in the system was replaced. The compressor is a FS-10 but I was wondering if I could swap in a Sanden 709, has anybod done this? Will it prevent the problem from happening again?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yes, everything was replaced. The first time around was the dealer using R-12 which lasted 1 year & a half. The secod time I replaced everything personally and had a mechanic friend vacuum & charge with R-134a which lasted close to 4 years.

You bring up a valid point that I hadn't tought of, I believe it was a remanufactured four seasons. The box it came in is floating around the house somewhere.

I don't know if you are interested in experimenting, but on my 88 I once installed an electric compressor. They make different versions of these electric units. I had something else in mind, but I didn't test it, so I don't want to recommend it.

Shamaal posted these pictures in this thread: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=159340
attachment.php

attachment.php

Back