Possible tuning problem.

chriswells78

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Powell(Columbus), OH
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Limited
I have done tons of mods to my 5.0. Ecam, 1.6rr, TM headers, Custom intake, 30# injectors, 90mm MAF, custom cat back, yada, yada, yada.

I have a popping noise coming from my passenger side header, possibly cylinder #3 and or 4. I think my problem may be in my tune. I have Sniper tuning software and I'm thinking maybe I need to retard the timing a bit for the E cam. It only happend at low idle. At mid range RPM, the noice moves to the muffler area.

Am I thinking right to retard the timing? I can adjust the timing +/-5* at low, middle and WOT. I can also adjust the fuel at low, middle and WOT.

Edit, it is not throwing any CEL codes.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'd think a tuning issue like this would have it popping in all cylinders--
Could you have crossed 2 spark plug wires? Could they be arcing?
Maybe an exhaust valve isn't seating? hmmm--
I'd like to hear this---

I think I'm going to take a video if I don't get it solved tonight. I found a guy with a 5.0 Ranger w/ 331 and an e cam on eectuning.org that had a similar problem and they were talking about a vacuum leak and a possible lean condition. When I get home tonight I am going to check all of my vacuum lines. If that doesn't fix it, I will write another tune with the fuel curve a little higher.

well, I think the E cam has too much lobe to it and isn't making the motor produce enough constant vacuum at stock idle. I bumped the idle screw in the TB up 3 full turns and the popping went away. I checked my data on my Actron code reader and it said the idle was in the neighborhood of 900-1000 RPM. I wrote a new tune with the idle bumped up 150 RPM then backed the ilde screw back down.

Unfortunately now I have tons of back fire. Do any of you think the backfire is fuel related? Should I add to or take away from the fuel to cease the backfire?

Where are you wanting to take fuel away from? Leaning out the entire tunefile won't fix what you are explaining.-j

Already fixed it, thanks

No explanation?............

bonehead mistake, #3 and #4 wires mixed up.

Ah...
It happens.

The coil packs are nice, but the labeling is very poor.

I had them on the packs right, but swapped as they went over my heat shield that I added for the headers. They run next to each other for about 12 inches and I kept missing it when I ran over them with my fingers tracing the wires.

Back