Potential 2006 Eddie Bauer as Tow Vehicle | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Potential 2006 Eddie Bauer as Tow Vehicle

I've been looking at a 2006 EB Explorer at the local dealership. It has 90,000 miles on it and is priced at about $15,000 even. It has the V8 4.6L and seems to be fully loaded with options including a class 2 hitch.

The purpose of this vehicle will be to go to the store (Home Depot, Lowes, etc) to pick up items which I cannot fit in my hatch back car. Also, a requirement is to be able to tow my dual axle trailer with a ~3000 pound vehicle on it. I believe this will total at least 3800 pounds dry.

I know that the tow rating on the class two hitch is 3500 pounds. I will easily surpass that weight. This being said, I would like to upgrade to a class 3/4 hitch.

Through my research, primarily on this board, I see that even though the explorer was available with a class 3 hitch, simply installing one won't resolve the other issues which my class 2 equipped vehicle is lacking as follows...
1) Likely has a 3.55 rear end, and not 3.73 as those with a class 3 from the factory do.
2) Smaller oil cooler (dealer mentioned the class 3 equipped Explorer had a larger oil cooler).

Is there anything else I am missing?

I saw a few threads where people said they have towed upwards of 6000 on a 3.55 rear end without issues. Keep in mind that I won't have a warranty on this vehicle. I typically tow about 100 miles at a time, but have been known to drive from the Northeast down to Myrtle Beach with a vehicle in tow in the past as well, so I do not want to let this be a hard 100 mile limit.

Side note, I also test drove a 2002 EB with the V8 and 77k miles for $10,500 and was much less impressed. It did, however, have an OE class 3 hitch. I will be having a 4 year loan on the vehicle, so I feel that the 2006 in 4 years will be a better investment at, granted, ~$100 more per month, than the 2002 by the end.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

There are some FOrd Dealerships that offer ext contracts online. In the past when I was looking they were cheaper than the local dealership prices. If interested let me know and I can scour my computer to find the links.
Any links you could provide would be great!

I still haven't purchased an extended warranty yet. I have an '06 Limited V8 now.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Congrats on the purchase (although you could've bought mines it already has the 7yr/100K ext warr), you will surely enjoy it. Here are the two I have priced warranties in the past:
http://www.fordesps.com/

and

http://www.fordwarrantys.com/?source=adwords2

I know many say don't waste your time with these but I believe if you aren't a mechanic and use your truck as a daily driver and plan on keeping it for awhile they pay for themselves. I bought mines when I got the truck for about 2K and close to 50K later I have had some things break stop operating. These Limited models have a lot of electronic (expensive) gizmos working.

Congrats on the purchase (although you could've bought mines it already has the 7yr/100K ext warr), you will surely enjoy it. Here are the two I have priced warranties in the past:
http://www.fordesps.com/

and

http://www.fordwarrantys.com/?source=adwords2

I know many say don't waste your time with these but I believe if you aren't a mechanic and use your truck as a daily driver and plan on keeping it for awhile they pay for themselves. I bought mines when I got the truck for about 2K and close to 50K later I have had some things break stop operating. These Limited models have a lot of electronic (expensive) gizmos working.
hah, but you're not local! Much more difficult for me to bite the bullet, on a somewhat expensive vehicle like this, sight unseen.

Thanks for the links. I'd already looked at both of those.

Considering the tranny 2-1 shift problem isn't covered, I'm not confident that my built in NAV or factory DVD would be either.

Side note, fordesps doesn't have a warranty for me because I have 42,400 miles.

fordwarranty's has a 4yr/48k mile warranty for me for $1730 going with the ExtraCare package.

why would any body want a independent rear suspension vehicle for a tow vehicle

Back