Potential 2006 Eddie Bauer as Tow Vehicle | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Potential 2006 Eddie Bauer as Tow Vehicle

I've been looking at a 2006 EB Explorer at the local dealership. It has 90,000 miles on it and is priced at about $15,000 even. It has the V8 4.6L and seems to be fully loaded with options including a class 2 hitch.

The purpose of this vehicle will be to go to the store (Home Depot, Lowes, etc) to pick up items which I cannot fit in my hatch back car. Also, a requirement is to be able to tow my dual axle trailer with a ~3000 pound vehicle on it. I believe this will total at least 3800 pounds dry.

I know that the tow rating on the class two hitch is 3500 pounds. I will easily surpass that weight. This being said, I would like to upgrade to a class 3/4 hitch.

Through my research, primarily on this board, I see that even though the explorer was available with a class 3 hitch, simply installing one won't resolve the other issues which my class 2 equipped vehicle is lacking as follows...
1) Likely has a 3.55 rear end, and not 3.73 as those with a class 3 from the factory do.
2) Smaller oil cooler (dealer mentioned the class 3 equipped Explorer had a larger oil cooler).

Is there anything else I am missing?

I saw a few threads where people said they have towed upwards of 6000 on a 3.55 rear end without issues. Keep in mind that I won't have a warranty on this vehicle. I typically tow about 100 miles at a time, but have been known to drive from the Northeast down to Myrtle Beach with a vehicle in tow in the past as well, so I do not want to let this be a hard 100 mile limit.

Side note, I also test drove a 2002 EB with the V8 and 77k miles for $10,500 and was much less impressed. It did, however, have an OE class 3 hitch. I will be having a 4 year loan on the vehicle, so I feel that the 2006 in 4 years will be a better investment at, granted, ~$100 more per month, than the 2002 by the end.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I've been looking at a 2006 EB Explorer at the local dealership. It has 90,000 miles on it and is priced at about $15,000 even. It has the V8 4.6L and seems to be fully loaded with options including a class 2 hitch.

The purpose of this vehicle will be to go to the store (Home Depot, Lowes, etc) to pick up items which I cannot fit in my hatch back car. Also, a requirement is to be able to tow my dual axle trailer with a ~3000 pound vehicle on it. I believe this will total at least 3800 pounds dry.

I know that the tow rating on the class two hitch is 3500 pounds. I will easily surpass that weight. This being said, I would like to upgrade to a class 3/4 hitch.

Through my research, primarily on this board, I see that even though the explorer was available with a class 3 hitch, simply installing one won't resolve the other issues which my class 2 equipped vehicle is lacking as follows...
1) Likely has a 3.55 rear end, and not 3.73 as those with a class 3 from the factory do.
2) Smaller oil cooler (dealer mentioned the class 3 equipped Explorer had a larger oil cooler).

Is there anything else I am missing?

I saw a few threads where people said they have towed upwards of 6000 on a 3.55 rear end without issues. Keep in mind that I won't have a warranty on this vehicle. I typically tow about 100 miles at a time, but have been known to drive from the Northeast down to Myrtle Beach with a vehicle in tow in the past as well, so I do not want to let this be a hard 100 mile limit.

Side note, I also test drove a 2002 EB with the V8 and 77k miles for $10,500 and was much less impressed. It did, however, have an OE class 3 hitch. I will be having a 4 year loan on the vehicle, so I feel that the 2006 in 4 years will be a better investment at, granted, ~$100 more per month, than the 2002 by the end.

$15k sounds steep for an 04 with 90k on it, but that is a whole other issue.
( I recently got a F150 with 26k on it for about the same money )

Towing the kind of weight you want to pull may or may not be that bad even though you are over GWV. That all depends on terrain- you are really reaching into full size vehicle territory wanting to pull 4k if you live in the hills or mountains. Flat land towing may be doable with electric brakes and a 3/4 hitch, the v8 should have the power, its controlling that trailer and not toasting the transmission.

I picked up my 2005 V8 EB (with Class 3) in October for $12,999. It had 44,000 miles on it at the time of purchase.

$15k sounds steep for an 04 with 90k on it, but that is a whole other issue.
( I recently got a F150 with 26k on it for about the same money )
It's a 2006, not a 2004. And the 2006 felt amazing in comparison to the 2002 I test drove. The 2002 felt more like a truck whereas the 2006 had more of a car pedal feel to it.
Towing the kind of weight you want to pull may or may not be that bad even though you are over GWV. That all depends on terrain- you are really reaching into full size vehicle territory wanting to pull 4k if you live in the hills or mountains. Flat land towing may be doable with electric brakes and a 3/4 hitch, the v8 should have the power, its controlling that trailer and not toasting the transmission.
I live in Massachusetts, which is pretty hilly as a rule. ;)

It's not the engine I'm concerned about.. as the 2006 was available with a class 3 hitch rated for 7000 pounds of towing. It's the class 2 drive train which I am concerned about (namely the different rear end).

My dual axle trailer does have electric brakes.

If it is just a matter of not hammering it up hills for the transmission's sake, I can handle that. If I cannot go up steep hills at all, I cannot handle that.
I picked up my 2005 V8 EB (with Class 3) in October for $12,999. It had 44,000 miles on it at the time of purchase.
WOW, great deal!

I didn't mention, but I am trading my 2002 Subaru WRX Wagon which still has a note on it toward this new vehicle. That is why I'm looking at a dealer instead of private sale. The Subaru has some troubles so I want to offload it to auction instead of selling it privately.

With the purposes you are buying this vehicle for, I would hold out for one that has the class 3 towing package already. Also, with the economy and gas prices where they are, I bet you can find a lower mileage unit for about that same money, maybe even less. I think in the long run you will be better off shopping around a bit.

Up to 2005, i think the trans coolers are the same for Class II or III. Go to Ford parts direct and look for a replacement and there is only one for all. I would expect it to be the same in '06's.

2006 is when the started welding the hitch on, you either have to go with dual hitches or to get a class III you will have to cut and weld. . . .'05 was the last year you could bolt it on.

If you tow daily i would only get a 3.73's Class III. If its only a couple of I times a year it won't matter. Either way with Class II its 3200lbs. which you will be close too.

Link above no workie . .. .

According to Ford 2009 looks like it change for the V8 only the V6 comes with 3.73??? i would double check V8 might have 3.73s without limited slip.

Equips Explorer for Class III/IV towing. Package includes: • Seven- and four-pin connectors • Engine oil cooler (V6 only) • Frame-mounted hitch receiver • 3.73 non-limited slip axle included with 4.0L V6 engine Combined weight of towing vehicle (including hitch, passengers and cargo) and loaded trailer must not exceed the Gross Combination Weight Rating.

Up to 2005, i think the trans coolers are the same for Class II or III. Go to Ford parts direct and look for a replacement and there is only one for all. I would expect it to be the same in '06's.
This is good news.
2006 is when the started welding the hitch on, you either have to go with dual hitches or to get a class III you will have to cut and weld. . . .'05 was the last year you could bolt it on.
This is the first I've heard about the 06-09 being welded on! I guess most of my reading was about the 02-05 model as it's probably more popular to be modded at this point.

How does the dual hitch work? Does that mean it's a single hitch with both class 2 and class 3 receivers... or does it mean I leave the class 2 and add a class 3 below it?
Link above no workie . .. .
Here's a different (better?) link. http://www.who-sells-it.com/cy/ford...2006-ford-explorer-brochure-685/explorer.html Check out page 10.

According to Ford 2009 looks like it change for the V8 only the V6 comes with 3.73??? i would double check V8 might have 3.73s without limited slip.
That is also what my link says.

you will have two hitches, i'll post a pic of one but it isn't mine. Link works now.

Attachments

• img050.jpg
    img050.jpg
    145.9 KB · Views: 650

I've been looking at a 2006 EB Explorer at the local dealership. It has 90,000 miles on it and is priced at about $15,000 even.

as one of the guys here once said "they must be very proud of that truck". Seems a little high especially for the mileage. Look around for an '08 or '09 dealer demos i thought i saw them from the low 20's . . .still considered 'new'.
You might find a Class III. But then again you might not have many choices. . .

you will have two hitches, i'll post a pic of one but it isn't mine. Link works now.
Okay, so it basically just bolts on below the OE hitch then.

I'm trying to keep in the <$20k price range. If I wanted to pay much more, might as well just go brand new with an EB at around $34k.

I have seen many 2004 with less miles (around 70k total) for about $11.5k. That seems like a much more reasonable price. And almost all the 2004 have a class 3 hitch on them already.

I like my '04 and the '05 are the same for the most part. Around these parts dealers are starving. . .i swear i thought i saw NEW '09's for a shade over 20? These were XLS i bet.

Good news. I just purchased a 2006 Limited with 42k miles on it for $19k. Seems to be pretty loaded with options. Everything from built in NAV, to heated seats/mirrors, to DVD.

Of course, as per the topic of this thread, it has a stage 3 hitch which appears to have never been used before.

Thanks everyone for their help in this thread. I need to do some searching about getting extended warranties and if it's worth the cost. Stay tuned for another post in the correct forum if I can't find the information I need!

Good news. I just purchased a 2006 Limited with 42k miles on it for $19k. Seems to be pretty loaded with options. Everything from built in NAV, to heated seats/mirrors, to DVD.

Of course, as per the topic of this thread, it has a stage 3 hitch which appears to have never been used before.

Thanks everyone for their help in this thread. I need to do some searching about getting extended warranties and if it's worth the cost. Stay tuned for another post in the correct forum if I can't find the information I need!

I'm glad you didn't go with that 90k mile explorer, that's right about 30k miles per year on it. It was out of warranty shortly after it's first birthday.

Be VERY careful with extended warranties. In my experience the only ones worth a hoot are the service aggreements purchased from the dealership. The ads you see on the TV are junk, they made a dealership disassemble her engine and refused to pay to put it back together once their adjuster determined it was due to inadequate oil change records. Those companies make their money collecting subscriptions and skating out of claims with odd ball loop holes.

Thank you for the tips eXcali. I was offered a 36k mile bumper to bumper warranty from the finance company for $2500 which I turned down.

At 42k miles, am I too late for a Ford extended warranty?

Thank you for the tips eXcali. I was offered a 36k mile bumper to bumper warranty from the finance company for $2500 which I turned down.

At 42k miles, am I too late for a Ford extended warranty?

The dealership should have offered you something. I bought a 98 explorer back in Jan with 167k and they offered me one. Make sure whatever you get it is a "Vehicle Service Contract". Dealerships used to call these "Extended Warranties" but I believe they got away from that name. I got one call Advantage from a Dodge dealership years ago and it was a 60mo/75k mile bumper to bumper coverage with a $100 deductible. It cost me $2k on a $20k car. Advantage is only available from an authorize dealer unfortunately.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

There are some FOrd Dealerships that offer ext contracts online. In the past when I was looking they were cheaper than the local dealership prices. If interested let me know and I can scour my computer to find the links.

Back