• Register Today It's free!

Power window motor differences

MichelleMD

Reaction score
City, State
Klamath Falls
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Explorer 5.0 XLT
My 2000 Explorer XLT driver side window motor replacement has run into a problem. The motor I pulled out has a completely different gear system then the earlier ones I was led to believe interchange anyone else have this experience I have pictures if necessary

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

What "earlier" one are you using?
96-01 front door motors should all be the same as long as it is from a 4 door

I definitely would use OEM motors, which can often need the disks replaced, before using any aftermarket motor. (Read: Beware of Dorman, etc...)

Good luck.

I definitely would use OEM motors, which can often need the disks replaced, before using any aftermarket motor. (Read: Beware of Dorman, etc...)

Good luck.
Just finished testing the original motor it's fine, problem must be in the regulator

The drivers door there is a rubber boot between the door and the body
If you remove the wire tie and pull that rubber boot down many times you will find a crimped/broken power window wire.......
This is a known thing with the gen II Explorer, the drivers door after miles and age, they did not give enough wire from the factory so it is not uncommon to find your broken wire in that location.

Something to look into if the fuses, relays, switches and motor check out.......

Back