Projector Headlights or HIDs? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Projector Headlights or HIDs?

The openings for the 9007 bulbs were the right size for the threaded portion of the Mini's, but you will need to trim off the rear mounting flange that the lock ring connects to. The threaded mounting on the Mini H1's isnt long enough to clear the whole housing and still install the bulb. Basically its not just a bolt on, needs some modifications still.

outstanding! ill be home on the first and will start my DIY shortly after. sounds like itll be fairly simple. thanks for the heads up bluez. :thumbsup:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

yea its not a bad job, just take your time and install the housings with the front lense removed so you can adjust cutoff line perfectly level. Then I would suggest tightening down the Mini projector, and using some epoxy to seal the threads and the projector to the housing so it wont rotate.

I think I am going to get a new passenger light and fix my setup. Been missing the awesome light output from this kit.

Another thing, you will need to re-pin the connector that plugs into the stock 9007 harness. the high beam and ground pins need to be switched. the TRS harness is wired for a 9004, but is the same size as a 9007, but wiring is different. found this out the hard way. if you dont switch the wiring, your lights turn off when hitting the high beams.

just bought a new passenger housing, looks like I am going to fix my set...

06bluez, i didnt get any instructions with my kit...where did you wire the solenoid?? and for the pins, i just reverse them in the plug?

the kit is intended to be universal, so there won't be any vehicle specific instructions. There is a ground point on the front header panel just in front of the battery. I mounted the solenoid and grounded it there. Run the power back to the accessory port on the engine bay fuse box behind the battery.

Here is the difference between 9004 and 9007.

i managed to get one headlight done with minimal breakage and with plenty of pics. im at a standstill with the other assembly. glue is rock hard and ive got a pretty big crack in it (top corner) from prying....and that is after i baked it at 270 for around 30 min total. im sure i can seal it back up pretty good, but does anyone have any suggestions or tips for removing the lense? other than that, this **** looks clean! i will link some pics very soon!

and 06bluez, if i run the power to the fusebox, how does the projector(do you have the bixenon also?) know to switch from low to high?? i got my hid kit from ebay, and luckily, it came unpinned. thanks for your help

update: broke a lil bit of the second housing in a fit of frustration and rage(but nothing some epoxy couldnt fix) and got the lens off and projector mounted. all i have left to do is reseal and install on the trac. sadly im waiting on bulb clips...theretrofitsource.com forgot to throw them in the box, but like the awesome company they are, theyre rushing them to me free of cost!
i highly recommend to anyone wanting to do the retrofit, go with theretrofitsource.com . they have a good product and have shown me nothing but excellent customer service. anyways, i dont see the need for a diy, its a pretty easy process.

last, can anyone elaborate on where to wire the projectors for the high/low function??

thanks all

can anyone elaborate on where to wire the projectors for the high/low function??

Did you get the premade wiring harness from TRS? if so all you need to do is plug the blue connector into one of the oem 9007 bulb sockets. that is all you need to trigger the relay.

If you are talking about the small wires that flip the solenoid on the projectors, they connect to the wiring harness, should be a male/female plug for those..

Also, did you test fit the projectors to the truck? be sure and do that before you seal on the front lens to make sure the cutoff is level...

yeah, im talking about the flip wires(red and black) and nope, didnt get the trs harness....any ideas on which wires to tap for it?? i cant do my test fit til trs ships my bulb clips. i guess i shouldve sucked it up and paid extra for the whole trs kit...oh well, live and learn.

one last question...id rather not take them apart to check, but is there a left/right projector?? like for right or left hand drive beam pattern??
thanks

just in case anyone else wants/needs to know, the morimoto mini h1 does NOT have a left/right projector like some lenses(props to Matt from theretrofitsource)

still need some help with the high/low beam solenoid. do i need to tap into the relay for the high beams??

I'm looking to get this kit, but I don't want to get the relay. Anyone know how to hook up the hi/lo switch to stock wiring?

I'm looking to get this kit, but I don't want to get the relay. Anyone know how to hook up the hi/lo switch to stock wiring?

per the diagram that ranchero sent (thanks a bunch), the right side(high beam) is dark blue/light green and the left(high beam) is white/light green. good luck with your project.

I had 10000k HIDs in my ranger that I had and loved them! I just ordered a set of 6000k's for my head and fog lights on my 02 ST ..should be in this week..cant wait :)

you loved purple headlights in your ranger, huh?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hey TrackerJoe... if you are posting pics from photobucket, hover over the picture then under it will be "image code". Paste that and your pics will show up in the thread like this
DSCN1186.jpg

Back