Puddle lights | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Puddle lights

Hey guys, I know I've posted this question before, but I'm hoping to attract more comments, AND I referred to the puddle lights as just "side view mirror" lights before, so hopefully, now that I have the correct terminology, I can elicit a greater response. ANYWAYS, I was wondering if anyone out there knows how I can get to the bulbs, AKA the puddle lights under my side view mirrors. I want to change the colors, but I'm scared to just pop the under-glass, and risk breaking it. I've already made some severe scratches to it attempting this. HELP!!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

thanks, and for interior lights would it be the same 10mm or the 5mm?

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

yes those would probably brighter since the mcd are higher. although i have found that even though they say the mcds are higher, sometimes that doesn't really mean there brighter. those white ones are the same ones i used in my led mods for the intertior lights.

Might be an old subject but I don't happen to have puddle lights in my mirrors and I had figured it was a lost cause until yesterday when I realized I could just wire some LED's from the bottom inside door light up to the mirror and then just build my own LED cluster to install. Haven't completely decided on what to use and how to do it but if any of you Lightiologist's have any ideas feel free to let me know.

Does anyone here offer this as a plug and play option? I dont really understand the whole process with the resistors and all, but if someone offered it as plug and play almost, I would be willing to buy it off them. Please let me know.

you can buy just the bulbs that plug in and they arent too bad but you want really bright ones which is why many people go with a larger bulb or a custom made bulb which requires a resister. I myself just upgreded the bulb to one that has quite a few LED's (sorry I forget how many) and it works great. I went to www.superbrightleds.com

you can buy just the bulbs that plug in and they arent too bad but you want really bright ones which is why many people go with a larger bulb or a custom made bulb which requires a resister. I myself just upgreded the bulb to one that has quite a few LED's (sorry I forget how many) and it works great. I went to www.superbrightleds.com

dannyb420 - Any pics of the superbrightleds.com puddle lights at night??

So I read this entire thread... I never saw an answer to the question of how to change the bulb on the puddle light if there are no screws. I just got an '03 Explorer and the driver's side puddle light is apparently burned out. There are no visible screws under the light.

This used to be my mom's vehicle (no, I am not 16 :) she was gonna trade it and I needed an SUV for the new baby) and I installed Muth Mirrors a few years ago but I cannot remember if the light was accessible when the mirror was removed. I can't imagine you have to disassemble the door to change a bulb, but I have seen Ford do silly things in the past so I suppose its possible.

If I have to take the door apart, I may as well put LED's in there when I do :)

Yes, someone please help! I have an '02 Limited, and need to change mine also. The link that TsaktuO put up isn't working for me... http://hiwaay.net/~jethridg/puddle.htm
I tried using a tiny flat-head screwdriver to pry the lens out, but heard a "CRACK" and got scared.
I don't want to do any permanent damage, and hope I don't have to pull the bloody door panel and remove the mirror for it.
Maybe someone has a picture of the lens removed, that would be great!

I don't have puddle lights period on my sport, a solid black housing, can I just replace the mirror housings with ones that do have puddle lights, then wire them up somehow?

From what I've read on these forums, you should be able to bolt up the mirrors, no problem, and your truck might already have the wiring for the lights, if you already have power mirrors.

Hey I have a question on this subject? I own a 1997 Ford Explorer Limited I need one driver mirror but im tempted to change both. I believe 95 and up mirrors were the same. I would like to get these mirrors http://www.am-autoparts.com/AM/Mirrors/Ford/Explorer/-/AM-24041744/ they have puddle and there heated do you think it will fit my 97 despite it says only 98... because most other mirrors are the same and I dont see the difference between them? Can you help?

Those mirrors will bolt onto your truck...

Just like they bolted onto my 99 Sport... Now I did not have the wiring for the puddle lights and the heated mirrors already in the 7 pin plug for the mirrors...A higher optioned Explorer might already be wired for more functions..

In fact my old mirrors' plug was only 4 pin...It powered the power mirror function and that was it...

To remedy this problem, I visited my local junkyard and removed 2 7 pin wiring connectors for the mirrors and then wired the necessary pins for the puddle lights and the heated mirror function...

I powered the puddle lights from the interior light source and the momentary keyless entry double flash... And the mirror heat function I used a relay to switch on the power to the mirror when I would turn on the rear window defroster...I tied the relays' ground into the lead from the defroster switch ground and that closes the relay and allows the mirrors to be heated as long as the defroster is on...

And since my mirrors have a screwed on lens for the puddle lights, I replaced the regular bulbs with some SMD 5 led bulbs that I also used in my dashboard... They are superbright at night and they even make a flash during the day...

Cool man thanx I hear you Im at cross roads Keep my 97 or upgrade to a 3rd generation 7 seater I really love there look and features not a big fan of the 4th generation looks to luxury ... We will see what happens

To answer the question on how to remove the puddle light housing; it's simple. I found the how-to on the internet (you can everything on the internet, right?).

Take a thin, long razor (I used a replacement razor for a box cutter. Slip in in the thin opening between the plastic puddle light housing and the side mirror - at the furthest most point from the door, closest to you. This pops up a tab inside. Holding the razor or box cutter in place, prior with a forward and down motion, towards the ground. The plastic housing comes out like butter! The same to get it back on, but no razor required - just snaps back into place. Takes less than five seconds per puddle light.

To answer the question on how to remove the puddle light housing; it's simple. I found the how-to on the internet (you can everything on the internet, right?).

Take a thin, long razor (I used a replacement razor for a box cutter. Slip in in the thin opening between the plastic puddle light housing and the side mirror - at the furthest most point from the door, closest to you. This pops up a tab inside. Holding the razor or box cutter in place, prior with a forward and down motion, towards the ground. The plastic housing comes out like butter! The same to get it back on, but no razor required - just snaps back into place. Takes less than five seconds per puddle light.

blively2, have you actually attempted this? If so, do you stick in the pointed end or the "long" end of the razor blade? Just curious. I don't want to risk breaking the lens. Thanks.:salute:

I finally did this myself, and it's exactly as he said, but I used a small, thin, flathead screwdriver. After a little wriggling, it went in, and with a only a little prying, as I pulled it down, the lens came down with it.
When the lens came out, I remember thinking, "Ok, why was this so hard again?"

02V8Limited, good deal! Glad you were able to get your lenses off. I'm going to try this tomorrow. I'll let you know how I make out.:salute:

Back