Puddle lights | Page 5 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Puddle lights

Hey guys, I know I've posted this question before, but I'm hoping to attract more comments, AND I referred to the puddle lights as just "side view mirror" lights before, so hopefully, now that I have the correct terminology, I can elicit a greater response. ANYWAYS, I was wondering if anyone out there knows how I can get to the bulbs, AKA the puddle lights under my side view mirrors. I want to change the colors, but I'm scared to just pop the under-glass, and risk breaking it. I've already made some severe scratches to it attempting this. HELP!!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You stick either a small flat blade screw driver or a pocket knife in between the lense and the plastic. U have to tap it up some in there. Then pry twords the lense and it will pop out. There's a tab that holds it on :)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i just changed mine to LEDs in my 2004 explorer. i used a box cutter. slide it in to the end farthest from the car and gently rock it back and forth until the whole light lowers then you can pull it out and twist out the bulbs.

i just changed mine to LEDs in my 2004 explorer. i used a box cutter. slide it in to the end farthest from the car and gently rock it back and forth until the whole light lowers then you can pull it out and twist out the bulbs.

Welcome aboard!!

Nice job on the fix! :D:thumbsup:

Figured I'd post this for future reference:

You do not need to remove the mirror to do this.

This picture is from the Signal Mirror How To. That's why the mirror has been removed.

Keep the mirror on the Ex and insert the blade as shown, then push up and away from door and the lens will pop out. Then twist the socket out of the lens to remove the bulb.

Be very careful with the razor blade so you don't cut yourself! If you are having trouble with the razor blade then using a very thin, small screwdriver might be the way to go! Mine popped out very easily with the razor blade. That's why I suggest using it. Better to be safe than sorry.

Hope this helps out.

3dRemovePuddleLightLense.jpg

This is a quick video on how to change the puddle lights in a 04 Eddie Bauer edition ford explorer

Awesome. Absolutely awesome. Your 3rd post is a How-To Video. :eek::thumbsup:

:salute: Welcome aboard my friend, welcome aboard. :salute:

What did you install for LED's & where did you get them?

The LEDs are just a normal led bulb you can get from any car place I can get you the actually size and brand if you would like but the key to the LEDs is making sure the polarity is correct. They make a nice upgrade and they look great on the car, I have changed all of my interior to LEDs and my puddle lights and have ordered LEDs for the exterior lights. I have HIDs in my head lights and fogs

The LEDs are just a normal led bulb you can get from any car place I can get you the actually size and brand if you would like but the key to the LEDs is making sure the polarity is correct. They make a nice upgrade and they look great on the car

Thanks.

I changed all my interior lights and puddle lights to LED's. Your puddle LED's look like they are of a higher quality than mine. If you could get me some info or a link, that would be great.

Thanks & keep up the good work! ;):thumbsup:

Thank you. :thumbsup:

I know this post is a little old but did they fit for the interior bulbs too?

if you haven't already found out...check www.sylvania.com under the automotice bulb chart tool.

i know for a fact the middle row dome light uses Festoon style bulbs, like this http://www.amazon.com/Cutequeen-Whi...F8&qid=1397097946&sr=8-2&keywords=festoon+led

IIRC they were 42mm. these are that i got. theyre very bright but are unidirectional, unlike a halogen bulb. you have to insert them and pivot the board to where it should be lighting up, unlike a normal halogen Festoon that lights omnidirectional.

IIRC also the front map lights are 3157...check out sylvania though it has all the sizes!

Back