Pushing another vehicle with an X? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Pushing another vehicle with an X?

Afrojoe

Reaction score
City, State
Ringgold, GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Ford Explorer XL 4WD
Okay guys, this is a hypothetical and I don't plan to forcibly move any vehicles, but it'd be nice to know what to expect. So, my inquiry is, how large of a vehicle/object do you think an X could push? Obviously there are many variables that would go into this such as enine, gears, 4wd/2wd, LSD/Open/Locker, ride height, ect.... Personally I have a 4wd 4.0L OHV with open 3.73s and was wondering in an emergency situation what type of objects the vehicle could move out of the way from a stop. I'm sure it could push a vehicle straight as long as clearance is similar. I'd guess it'd be able to push one sideways to some extent as well. Anyone have any experience or better knowledge on the subject? Let's assume it's flat pavement and the vehicle has decent street tires. (I know it may be a childish thought and impractical, but you never know what you'll need to do and I enjoy hypothetical.)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I pushed an Avalon convertible about 300 ft up an approx 2% grade in about 6 inches of snow. That was fun. He didn't care much about the bumper, good thing..

What you seek could be calculated. Available torque at a given RPM, multiplied by final gear reduction, factoring in the traction factor of the tires however you would come up with that.

It depends too if the object being pushed has wheels or not. Static friction is higher the bigger the contact patch. I would think an explorer in high range 4wd, could probably break the static friction of 3k to 6k pounds, on a standard pallet.

Would it be fair to pull it? Would keep from damaging the front end that way!

Vehicle wise, I think an explorer could do well to get a very heavy load rolling. I would be confident you could pull a fully loaded semi with brake off, about 60-80k. Again if you could break the static friction of the load, you can maintain movement with alot less torque.

Do you have an aftermarket bumper or push bar? I wouldn't try to push anything with a stock 2nd gen bumper. A stock 1st gen bumper maybe; at least those are made of metal. But definitely not a 2nd gen bumper.

No aftermarket bar, yet. I'd love a Westin Brush Guard, but I can't find any reseasonably priced if at all. I don't want to waste 200 or so on a cheap chinese one either (some Chinese is good, but why risk $200). I might look into getting a custom bumper made for my X. Lots of Jeeps do it around here so I'm sure they could make one for an X. Might cost a premium though. Thoughts on custom bumpers? Tips for brush guards? I don't really want a plain bull bar. I like the full coverage of brush guards, including the head lights.

Also, very well thought out and informative reply, 92exp4x4. I appreciate it. Ps. I've heard tale of guards and mount to frame bars being hazards in low speed crashes. Ie. Frame damage due to the direct connection. True? Do brush guards not regularly save vehicles from deer collisions? And aren't the two frame branches in the front designed to crumple? Would it be ideal to extend directly from the frame with stronger support for the bumper, even if that could lead to less impact absorption? I dont know near as much as I'd like to about the Xs we drive, but this is certainly a great place to learn.

Back