Question about tow package | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Question about tow package

Reaction score
City, State
Dos Palos, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Explorer XLT
Hey everyone. I have a 2013 xlt w/tow package and I'd like to know how to tell if this is a "HD" tow package or regular (if there is a difference). Does Ford different levels of their tow packages? Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Only 1 tow package, rated to tow up to 5,000lbs. Still need to follow GVCW.

I don't know about this for sure, but everything I've seen is that the factory installed tow package is a class III, while the after market is only rated to like 2000lbs, which is class I. Now given you could add a class III hitch later, that would still only mean that is the hitch rating, now what the vehicle is approved to tow per ford's manual.

So what I'm getting at, make sure it's the factory hitch and not an dealer add on.

Yea I have the hitch and pins. I just wasn't sure about HD tow package. I'm looking to start pulling a travel trailer and just doing my research. Transmission cooler is included in the tow package right? Oh, I have the class III & 500lb tongue weight. Straight from the factory.

I don't know about this for sure, but everything I've seen is that the factory installed tow package is a class III, while the after market is only rated to like 2000lbs, which is class I. Now given you could add a class III hitch later, that would still only mean that is the hitch rating, now what the vehicle is approved to tow per ford's manual.

So what I'm getting at, make sure it's the factory hitch and not an dealer add on.

Someone ordered the class II hitch from Ford to put on their Ex because it didn't have the tow package. The hitch indeed was the same Class III hitch. But as you stated, whatever the vehicle is rated from the factory is what it is allowed to tow regardless of what you do to it. Adding everything if possible to their vehicle that is included in the tow package will not change the ratings. Ratings are certified and the vehicle would have to be certified again to bump up to the 5,000 pound tow rating.

Yeah, and there are also dealers that just put on a uhaul type hitch as well. That doesn't mean the vehicle can't do it, just means you can't and expect any kind of warranty coverage or possible insurance issues if you wrecked while overloaded!

The factory tow package comes with an engine oil cooler and that little opening on the bottom of the front bumper. It also comes with a tow mode button. The factory hitch is class III and I think everything together is what allows the Explorer to tow the 5,000 pounds.

The factory tow package comes with an engine oil cooler and that little opening on the bottom of the front bumper. It also comes with a tow mode button. The factory hitch is class III and I think everything together is what allows the Explorer to tow the 5,000 pounds.

With 1 exception, the Sport does not have the additional oil cooler. It isn't needed with that motor.

Back