Question regarding center console lights | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Question regarding center console lights

jamazz

Reaction score
City, State
Drexel Hill, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2008 Ford Explorer 4WD
Hey guys.

I have a 2008 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer Edition 4WD with a lighting issue.

The center console, where the radio, environment controls, and shifter are located, has some lights out. To the best of my knowledge, this is not a dimmer issue, as the gauges and radio lights are illuminated. What's not illuminated are the environment controls, 4x4 button, seat heater, and shifter gear indicator; the effected spot is between the center vents and shifter. I found a few pictures that detail how to take this panel off (Similar to gaining access to the radio compartment), but nothing specific to this particular problem. I'm looking to determine if the make/model of this vehicle does not illuminate this part of the panel as designed. However, if this part of the panel was intended to illuminate, are there any instructions on how to effectively troubleshoot and repair it? Perhaps the button assembly is back-lit with one or more bulbs, or, perhaps the button assembly individually lights each button? Not sure... Hell, it could even be a loose connection...which I hope it's not since I would assume that could even be more of a nightmare. But, I digress...

Any help would be much appreciated. My level of skill with cars is intermediate, but my electronics skills are much better. I repaired my washer after determining it was two bad capacitors. So, I'm hoping those skills will come in handy here.

This seems like an awesome community, so I have faith and am looking forward to hearing from you.

I believe each button has its own internal lighting in that area that is wired all the way back to the primary headlight switch so it sounds like it is a bad connection somewhere. I would start by checking the primary connections behind the panel and then working your way out. Somewhere around here there is an electrical diagram that you can reference to see where the primary connections are for the lights in that area.

This makes a lot of sense. Lately the wipers have been intermittently working, and when the car hits a sizable bump, the interior light comes on and the seat slides back to entry and exit position.

The interior light and seat moving issue had to do with something in the steering column. The truck is still under warranty, and we had them fix that issue.

I guess it wouldn't be much of a stretch that all these issues might stem from something inside the column.

I'll post here what we find.

As of right now, the wipers are still working intermittently (No it's not the intermittent wiper setting on the controls). They found that a bulb needs to be ordered and that the shifter light bulb is missing entirely and is also not getting any voltage.

More to come.

Back