Weight Distribution Bars and Backing Up. Make a Difference? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Weight Distribution Bars and Backing Up. Make a Difference?

Towed the travel trailer home after a weekend of camping and ran into some difficulty backing the trailer up. Normally, we would back in then remove the weight distribution bars from the hitch. Today, I needrd to allow the awning some time to dry out, so I rolled it out and figured I would get ahead of the game and go ahead and remove the weight distribution bars while I waited for the awning to dry. Jumped into the Mounty and started to back up the trailer and it seemed to react completely different, in that it seemed to make turns much quicker and seemed harder to keep straight when backing up. Am I just imagining this or does removing the weight bars cause the trailer to react more quickly and make it harder to back up? Took me much longer to wiggle the trailer into its space today than it has in the past. I am completely new at this towing thing, so any input here would be greatly appreciated. I am hoping that someone chimes in and says the lack of weight bars do make a difference, otherwise, I am in desperate need of more back up practice.

With the WD disconnected, it will turn faster, the spring bars and chains resist turning when under load, it's part of their design to reduce sway.

If you are having difficulty backing, do practice at every opportunity, maybe borrow a tandem axle trailer and use it. The hardest and best thing to learn is to back a trailer using only your side mirrors, but if you ever master that, you can back anything up with ease.

With the WD disconnected, it will turn faster, the spring bars and chains resist turning when under load, it's part of their design to reduce sway.

If you are having difficulty backing, do practice at every opportunity, maybe borrow a tandem axle trailer and use it. The hardest and best thing to learn is to back a trailer using only your side mirrors, but if you ever master that, you can back anything up with ease.

I def. need more practice, but man, that trailer was acting completely differently with the spring bars removed. I thought I had lost what little skill I had acquired! Glad to hear you confirmed what i was thinking. BTW, The camper is a tandem axle. Funny you mentioned using the mirrors. I was starting to get better at that before this whole debacle happened yesterday. Guess I'll go over and hitch her up tonight and practice, practice, practice....

A WDH's resistance to sway (if it has this feature, like the Equil-i-zer or Dual-Cam models) and also the resistance of 4 fixed trailer wheels could give you the sensation that it's easier with the WDH engaged. With the WDH disengaged, more weight will be on the front axle, which I suppose could let the rear tires "crab" easier, and rotate easier.

But these things will only be felt as making it easier to hold the steering wheel at a certain position (more rotating the steering wheel. But regardless of WDH engagement, if you hold the steering wheel at a certain rotation, and back up a given amount, the trailer will end up in the same spot.

Back