RABS bypass | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

RABS bypass

UPDATE: So we were working with an inept, at best, counter guy. He was pretty adamant that we had to upsize the line running into the HCU and then try to splice (we cut a 30 inch piece to ease the frustrations of flaring on the vehicle, and we avoided a little rusty trouble spot, win win.) this new 1/4" line to the 3/16" line... OMG. Almost bypassed the damn unit and went on our way. Did my research and low and behold, at the same shop, was our little adapter. We drove to a different store, just to avoid Captain Ineptitude. Good build! Good Day!

Because we only cut the front to rear line and saved the master to HCU, the remans look like they are supposed to have an adapter built in to accomodate the original fittings, how convenient! XD

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

did it ever work out?

It was a 3/16"-1/4" adapter, it worked perfectly. Threaded the adapter into the 1/4" HCU and linked it to the OEM 3/16"

Like a charm.

I know it's been a while since you posted your comment, but I have a question. Did each side of this unit (meaning front and back) have the 1/4 inch fitting requiring a 1/4 to 3/16 adapter?

Thanks

If you want to bypass it, go down to the parts store and pick up a union to connect the input and output lines together.

I have the same exact issue, but my ABS Hydraulic Unit is plugged up (no rear brakes) and the temp solution until I can afford the part is to bypass the unit.

Question: Considering the factory installation, you're saying that there is enough play in the original system to connect the line that goes into the front of the ABS Hydraulic Unit to the one connected to the back using a union? Do you remember what diameter union is needed?

Thanks

Did you ever install this and ...

I bought the Autozone part, but didn't get a chance to install it.

did you have any issues? I just bought this part today, and it looks like it has the adapter fittings attached to it. On the original part, the brake lines screw straight into the unit.

7399402954_ca448ccd9e.jpg

7399402728_c7498506f0.jpg

Compared to the OEM part, I am wondering if these fittings resolves the issue a lot of people were seeing with the Autozone replacement.

Original Part:

7399402448_85f41e8eed.jpg

I know it's been a while since you posted your comment, but I have a question. Did each side of this unit (meaning front and back) have the 1/4 inch fitting requiring a 1/4 to 3/16 adapter?

Thanks

Hi there,

If my memory serves me well, I believe that we only needed one adapter for the rear side. We'll be out working on the truck today, so I'll be back with a more comprehensive answer later today.

Thanks

Hi there,

If my memory serves me well, I believe that we only needed one adapter for the rear side. We'll be out working on the truck today, so I'll be back with a more comprehensive answer later today.

When you look at yours, would you please let me know if it looked anything like this out of the box:

7399402954_ca448ccd9e.jpg

7399402728_c7498506f0.jpg

That's the same unit. I popped my head under the truck and there is definitely an adapter on the rear line. I can't tell if the engine side does, but I really want to say that there was no need for the adapter on the engine side.

Personally, I would pick up two adapters and just return one if you don't need it.
Good luck with the swap!

That's the same unit. I popped my head under the truck and there is definitely an adapter on the rear line. I can't tell if the engine side does, but I really want to say that there was no need for the adapter on the engine side.

Personally, I would pick up two adapters and just return one if you don't need it.
Good luck with the swap!

Thanks, I'm just trying to minimize the pain. If you look at the original part and the Autozone replacement it appears that somebody at corporate finally got the message and realized the threads didn't match and shipped the part with the proper adapters.

Final Resolution

I took the Cardone Reman/ABS Hydraulic Unit that I got at Autozone and 50 bucks to a local mechanic who installed it for me. Didn't have to get dirty. Bonus! :thumbsup: (I should point out that I had just spent two weeks waiting for the funds to replace the starter and was not in the mood to crawl under the truck again.)

Another bonus was the unit bolted up, right out of the package, brake lines and everything. Nice to live in the desert where there is no rust.

Quick update from the future:) lol

bought a rabs valve at orreilys a1 cardone brand and the threads were like butta:) cant speak for the autozone one but this valve went right in with no issue whatsoever:) also make sure you use line or flare wrenches depending on what like to call them! they will make the job go quick and not ruin flare fittings:)

cheers all

one of my big issues was that grounding the abs connector wouldnt pop codes. i ended up changing the abs module and bam she's reading codes again:) so if anyone ran into a no code situation it's more than likely your module. mine was rusted so bad it had a hole in the metal tin around the pcb. i had a leak in the roof area that made it drip right into that area. but something else to check if your unable to pull rabs codes:) cheers all

Back