rattles

Aspire

Reaction score
City, State
Chesterfield
Year, Model & Trim Level
NortFace 2000 LPG
HI guys,

Ok need some help as to find why I have a engine rattle, mine has been changed to lpg. Last year I had the head gaskets done and at the same time had new timing tensioners fitted. Tick over on gas it is around 1000 rpm and 500 rpm when on petrol. When in gear ie not in park or neutral there is a ticking noise not a rattle behind the steering wheel / dash area and does this when you accelerate. If stationary and there is this noise if you put it into neutral the noise goes.

Any ideas or is this the start of the dreaded timing chain problems starting!

Cheers

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

can it be heard when you rev it up when your under the bonnet?

Nope as only does it when in gear lever in drive

I would have thought if it were the timing chains it would do it whether in gear or not. Does your gearbox work ok in all gears? ie; no flaring or delayed shifts.
Is the fluid level ok?

kev.

Yeap gear change ok, having oil changed tomorrow and getting it over a pit to get more of a look. When it rattles when stationary at traffic lights if you put it in neutral then rattle vanishes. Will report back tommorow.

I know that this sounds odd but check the heat shields on the exhaust pipe. One of mine had snapped a weld and rattled like hell at times.

Are you sure its not the covers on the cats and exhaust?

The welds break, but make a rattle not a clicking noise. All mine have been taken off now!!!

Sorry Howard, didn't see you had commented.

Ok guys I am one happy bunny the muppets who did the head gasket work hadn't bothered to attach the bonnet release, accelerator and cruise control cables properly so now engine has no rattles :). Thanks for all your help

Back