Re-Torque After New Wheels | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Re-Torque After New Wheels

This is kind of a safety issue that I've noticied a few companies are having. My brother bought some Eagle Alloys for his Ranger and had them installed at the shop I work at (I didn't work on it thankfully). Anyhow, few months pass and he was coming home from college and his right rear wheel almost fell off. The lugs somehow backed off. Now - there's no hard evidence that it was because of the wheels needing to be retorqued - but what makes it harder is that he was up at Virgina Tech the day before with a damn UVA sticker in his back window. Pranksters - maybe? Anyhow, so he bought a new wheel and he was good to go.

Months later I had to go to a 4wd shop and get some lug nuts and I noticed at the bottom a disclaimer:

Disclaimer: After 100 miles, please re-torque new wheels

So this is more or less a question with a tip - Be sure to retorque your wheels with new wheels (I'd retorque them atleast twice). But has anyone else ran into a problem like this?

My story: I have had my American Racing Diamond Backs for awhile and I've never had to retorque them and when I take the lugnuts off they are always tight as their suppose to and if I do retorque them they already click at 100ft lbs.

Reason I'm asking: I just put some new '03 Cobra wheels on my girlfriends mustang (click here for pictures) and I don't want her wheel(s) to fall off going down the highway in Richmond. I plan on retorqueing them no matter what just to play it safe, but I was just wondering if anyone else has any horror stories because of not re-torqueing.

-Drew

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

No Horror storys thank god, wheelworks in my town has the disclaimer set at 100 miles

you're right it was 100. Did you ever ask them why?

-Drew

ExplorerDMB said:
you're right it was 100. Did you ever ask them why?

-Drew
Never did, am certain it is an insurance issue.
The reality of it is I believe, if they use a TQ wrench, as they should and say TQ to 90 lbs, when you re-ck them, you will not see any change, I never have. Do It if it gives you piece of mind, probebly best to ck them as soon as you get home from the tire store, some of the techs are not the brightest bulbs in the box.

you're right - I also hate it when I see techs using torque sticks

anybody else...

-Drew

Way back when I bought my wheels, I was also advised to check the torque everynow and then when they were new.

always check the torque. ive been kinda **** about my lugs ever since i had my wheel fall off (no, it wasnt my fault). Every time i hear a noise from the wheels i check all the torques. the first couple weeks after it fell off i drove around with my torque wrench in the pasenger seat. I would always make sure to retorque em after a hundred or so miles.

In my experience, wheels, especially aluminum ones, expand and contract with heat. Your brakes heat up, making the aluminum expand and contract when cooling which can make your lug nuts loose. After they loosen up some, vibration does the rest. It’s not a matter of not enough torque at install, rather heat. I have had several custom wheel dealers tell me this and I have experienced it myself. I went back to check my lugs and they were not really loose, but not nearly tight enough. If you read all the fine print on big tire shops tickets, they usually have a line in there telling you to check the lug nuts.

Mountaineergree is correct IMHO, aluminum is the reason. For anyone who might buy wheels soon, look for the ones with steel inserts in the lugs, such as MT's. Wheels w/o inserts will oval out over time.

I like all this information. Please keep it coming. Any kind of expierence will be great to hear! :thumbsup:

-Drew

where i work we actually suggest this with all wheels after they've been removed for any reason....as mostly a precaution.

you mean any wheels? Even steel wheels that have been on vehicles for years?

-Drew

retiredsparky said:
Mountaineergree is correct IMHO, aluminum is the reason. For anyone who might buy wheels soon, look for the ones with steel inserts in the lugs, such as MT's. Wheels w/o inserts will oval out over time.
Sparky
How will they oval out? if you maintain proper TQ on the lugnuts, If you have the proper conical lugnuts that exactally center the wheel, unless the rim is loose and moves.
I don't see how that is possible.
Have run alloy rims since they were Magnesium, have never seen any oval out.

spindlecone said:
Sparky
How will they oval out? if you maintain proper TQ on the lugnuts, If you have the proper conical lugnuts that exactally center the wheel, unless the rim is loose and moves.
I don't see how that is possible.
Have run alloy rims since they were Magnesium, have never seen any oval out.
Torque is the issue. Dissimilar metals expand and contract, basic science.

retiredsparky said:
Torque is the issue. Dissimilar metals expand and contract, basic science.
Sort of like when they tried Aluminum wireing in houses.
Agreed about dissimalar metals, I think if the TQ is checked on occasion, will be no problem.

I have the stock aluminum wheels and have never seen one of them loosen up. I do remember seeing the "re-torque after 100 miles" on the Sears receipt after I got an alignment though. I figured it was just a liability thing-- if the tech didn't torque them right and they fall off after 100 miles, they can say they warned you. From the above it sounds like it can actually be a problem though.

The few times I take my car to a shop (alignment or new tires), I always loosen and retorque my lugs ASAP to save my rotors from getting warped.

after i got my wheels last year i checked them after about 100miles. they had loosend up. i re-tq'd them and kept doing that for about 500miles. after that they kept nice an tight. i just put them back on for the summer and i need to re-tq them cause i got new lugs and i wanna be sure.

A question about retorquing. Do you loosen them then retorque, or just straight ahead?

I've read somewhere than trying to torque something that's already been tightened isn't accurate.

etc said:
A question about retorquing. Do you loosen them then retorque, or just straight ahead?

I've read somewhere than trying to torque something that's already been tightened isn't accurate.
Damn good question

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

spindlecone said:
Damn good question

Wish someone had a damn good answer for it. -_-

Back