rear 4" lift springs

PUR PONY

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
CT
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 LTD, 96 XLT, & 98 XLT
Trying to piece together a lift for my 98 and the one part im still planning out is the rear. I want it to sit level. The Front will consist of a 4" Superlift. If need be it can be cranked to 5"

for the rear i was thinking of doing a SOA but im afraid it may sit high in the rear.

Since superlift discontinued the rear 4" lift leafs im searching around for options. I can get custom leafs made, but trying to see if there is an alternative to that.

I found that Rocky Mountain Suspension has a 1991-1994 3" lift leaf spring. The 1st gen explorers were SUA, correct? And if yes, then my thinking is.... a combo of 3" lift springs and warrior shackles (or custom shackles) should get me to my 4"-4.5" ... yes / no?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i was reading about that, swapping and combining leafs. Would rather go new i think. Also, with the f150 combo setup how much stiffer will it be?

check around i'll bet that there is a spring shop in Connecticut.
roscoe

I'd just do the soa, you can crank 1.5 easy in the front to match the rear with the front box kit, you could also do a sloped body lift and soa with torsion twist that would be most economical and looks good because the majority of exposed undercarriage from the body lift is towards the rear which I call the belly you can barely tell the difference up front. I wouldn't spend big money on sua lift springs.if I could do it over that's probably what I would do to get the most lift for least amount of cost.

I'm not sure what you can find, but I'm running Ranger springs on my '00.

They're a direct bolt in.

For 4" in back, I would consider going SOA. For 1st gens you'd want larger u-bolts from a place like RuffStuff, if you do that. Probably same for 2nd gen.

I run lifted springs, and was more money and time than I thought it would be. Springs n Things, Custom Spring, Deaver Spring, Detroit Spring, etc. could all arch you a 4" llft leafpack but it would cost you.

Are the 1st and 2ndgen leaf packs interchangeable? The only advantage of sua is it provides better anti axle wrap. The v8's come with an additional anti wrap bar.

Are the 1st and 2ndgen leaf packs interchangeable? The only advantage of sua is it provides better anti axle wrap. The v8's come with an additional anti wrap bar.

In the below thread, 2nd gen owner Gavin says that he has the same leaf pack as I have (OME36 / ARB part# CS042R) and was waiting to install it...from that I can only assume that at least with the Old Man Emu leaf pack it is interchangeable.

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums...f-spring-bushing-sizing-and-suppliers.443587/

I'm thinking of ditching my shackles soon and installing those arb lift springs as there not much more than stock replacements and if it wasn't for the sensa track shocks my springs sit almost perfectly flat.

I feel soa on stock springs flexes and rides the best. But it also comes at the price of swapping leak packs every 2 years from them looking like W's from going negitive.

My ranger is factory spring over with explorer leafs + 1 extra leaf now (about 3" lift over stock ranger springs). Now I also have lift shackles which give me another inch but I removed the stock 2" blocks. Basically im setup like a soa explorer now. Here's a pic of how negitive my setup will go and a pic of the droop.

20170820_115609.jpg

20170820_115314.jpg

20170820_115328.jpg

Lol that first pic almost looks like my springs now with the truck just sitting level .... I've got to change them soon thinking about making a custom shackle and going with the ome ARB lift springs. Two inches of lift iirc? And it should still ride nice. I got the #1 bars swapped in today it has improved the ride with the tt and definitely look more stout than my old b bars.i would highly recommend this to anybody doing a tt as they should last longer especially with the weight of extra off road goodies up front.

How much lift would you get if swapped with standard 4-door Explorer leafs on my 2-door sport? Mine has mono leafs at the moment and PO put coil over shocks to help with sag....(DUMB)..

I am planning on doing a rear SOA setup to get more lift to level up after I do the front SOA conversion. Im torn...

4dr leafs should level you out. Technically they should only give you about .75"-1" of lift but that all depends on how sagged yours / the junkyard ones you get are.

How much lift would you get if swapped with standard 4-door Explorer leafs on my 2-door sport? Mine has mono leafs at the moment and PO put coil over shocks to help with sag....(DUMB)..

I am planning on doing a rear SOA setup to get more lift to level up after I do the front SOA conversion. Im torn...

What's wrong with the coil overs?

If I read that correctly did you mean a SAS conversion I believe most people run 5.5" lift springs and do the soa to match.

@bigred4x4 - Yes, I meant SAS...(too many acronyms to remember :) ) These coil overs on mine are very generic with 1/4 in springs wrapped around the shocks. There is nothing wrong with them per se, especially for functionality reasons.

I have had a few bad experiences with them in the past - falling apart, springs breaking up. Having owned my own Hot Rod shop over the years, I had seen many of them put on 60's cars and they were a 'bear' to remove.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I hear you I have the load leveler coil over shocks in the rear the only bad thing I have to say about them is the springs sagged pretty quick, still work well though I just lost most of the added ride height in about a week then again my leaf packs are due to be replaced as there looking pretty flat.

Back