City, State
Bremerton WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2008 Sport trac limited
FORD: 2006-2008 Explorer
2007-2008 Explorer Sport Trac
MERCURY: 2006-2008 Mountaineer

ISSUE:
Some 2006-2008 Explorer, Mountaineer and 2007-2008 Sport Trac vehicles built on or before 7/28/2008 may exhibit a high pitched squeal noise from the rear axle area while driving at low speeds. This may be caused by the rear outer axle halfshaft dust seals contacting the knuckle surface.

ACTION:
Follow the Service Procedure steps to correct the condition.

SERVICE PROCEDURE

Position vehicle on a hoist and place it in neutral.
Remove the rear wheel and tire. For additional information, refer to Workshop Manual (WSM), Section 204-04.
Remove and discard the rear axle wheel end nut. To install, tighten to 203 lb-ft (275 N-m). (Figure 1)

Figure 1 - Article 08-19-6

CAUTION: DO NOT USE A HAMMER TO SEPARATE THE REAR AXLE HALFSHAFT ASSEMBLY FROM THE HUB. DAMAGE TO THE THREADS AND INTERNAL CONSTANT VELOCITY (CV) JOINT COMPONENTS MAY RESULT.

Use the special tool, press the outboard constant velocity (CV) joint until it is loose in the hub. (Figure 2)

Figure 2 - Article 08-19-6

Use a brush and apply Motorcraft® Silicone Brake Caliper Grease and Dielectric Compound to lubricate the rear axle halfshaft dust seal.
Reverse steps 2 and 3 to install halfshalt, tire, and wheel.

PART NUMBER PART NAME
XG-3-A Motorcraft® Silicone Brake Caliper Grease and Dielectric Compound
N808405-S100A Nut

WARRANTY STATUS:
Eligible Under Provisions Of New Vehicle Limited Warranty Coverage
IMPORTANT: Warranty coverage limits/policies are not altered by a TSB. Warranty coverage limits are determined by the identified causal part.

OPERATION DESCRIPTION TIME
081906A 2006-2008 Explorer/Mountaineer, 2007-2008 Explorer Sport Trac: Lubricate One Rear Constant Velocity Outboard Joint to Knuckle Dust Seal: 0.5 Hrs(Do Not Use With 4139A, 5968A) 0.5 Hr.
081906B 2006-2008 Explorer/Mountaineer, 2007-2008 Explorer Sport Trac: Lubricate Both Rear Constant Velocity Outboard Joint to Knuckle Dust Seal: 0.9 Hrs (Do Not Use With 4139A, 5968A) 0.9 Hr.

DEALER CODING
BASIC PART NO. CONDITION CODE
1175 14

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NOTE: The information in Technical Service Bulletins is intended for use by trained, professional technicians with the knowledge, tools, and equipment to do the job properly and safely. It informs these technicians of conditions that may occur on some vehicles, or provides information that could assist in proper vehicle service. The procedures should not be performed by "do-it-yourselfers". Do not assume that a condition described affects your car or truck. Contact a Ford, Lincoln, or Mercury dealership to determine whether the Bulletin applies to your vehicle. Warranty Policy and Extended Service Plan documentation determine Warranty and/or Extended Service Plan coverage unless stated otherwise in the TSB article. The information in this Technical Service Bulletin (TSB) was current at the time of printing. Ford Motor Company reserves the right to supercede this information with updates. The most recent information is available through Ford Motor Company's on-line technical resources.

Copyright © 2008 Ford Motor Company

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

2007 Mercury Mountaineer Premier

I have a '07 Moutaineer that is having the same high pitch squeal at low speeds. I haven't determined if it's front or rear. Is most everyone experiencing this in the rear of the vehicle vs the front? I've also had some popping noices from front right passenger wheel when turning and didn't know if the two were related. :dunno:

Thank you for posting this thread. My STA is doing this and is a June build date... Been driving me nuts.

i took my 07 sport trac to a dealership with this printed out and they fixed the squeal but it came back a week later its been doing it for a year now and im not sure what to do

It could be one of the two following issues:

Special Service Message 20656: HIGH PITCHED WHINE NOISE COMING FROM A GROUNDED OUT SHIFT CABLE ON THE 5R55S TRANSMISSION SPEED SENSOR (TSS) OR INPUT SHAFT SPEED SENSOR (ISS)

Some 2006-2009 Explorer/Mountaineer, 2007-2009 Explorer Sport Trac vehicles equipped with a 4.0 liter engine paired to a 5R55S transmission may exhibit a high-pitched whine at low speeds. The noise may be due to the transmission shift cable grounding out. Insure shift cable routing is correct and not making contact withthe turbine speed sensor (TSS) or intermidate shaft speed sensor (ISS). Effective date: 2/10/2009
------------------------------------------------------------
Special Service Message 19946: 2002-2007 EXPLORER/EXPLORER SPORT TRAC/SPORT TRAC/MOUNTAINEER WITH 5R55 TRANSMISSION - TORQUE CONVERTER SHAKE/RATTLE

Some of the above vehicles with 5R55 transmission may exhibit torque converter shake and/or rattle. Proper alignment is required for converter and adapter plate. Misalignment of the torque converter to adapter plate will cause an imbalance. Align paint mark on adapter plate to orange paint dot on converter. Rotate paint dots to 12 o'clock position in preparation for decking to engine. The fly wheel position is not critical. Utilize all new nuts to mount the converter to the adapter plate and to attach the flywheel to adapter plate. Effective date: 9/7/2007

Good info. My '09 has done it from day one. I bought the truck with 60 miles on it. Definitely taking it in to the dealership to have it checked out.

It could be one of the two following issues:

Special Service Message 20656: HIGH PITCHED WHINE NOISE COMING FROM A GROUNDED OUT SHIFT CABLE ON THE 5R55S TRANSMISSION SPEED SENSOR (TSS) OR INPUT SHAFT SPEED SENSOR (ISS)

Some 2006-2009 Explorer/Mountaineer, 2007-2009 Explorer Sport Trac vehicles equipped with a 4.0 liter engine paired to a 5R55S transmission may exhibit a high-pitched whine at low speeds. The noise may be due to the transmission shift cable grounding out. Insure shift cable routing is correct and not making contact withthe turbine speed sensor (TSS) or intermidate shaft speed sensor (ISS). Effective date: 2/10/2009

Man I love this forum. This has gotten fairly bad on my 07 ST. Wanted to know if anyone out there has had this fixed??? And is it a recall ?? or something to have to pay for ? Thanks guys.

Back