• Register Today It's free!

rear blower...

hostile413

Reaction score
City, State
Pekin, Illinois
Year, Model & Trim Level
'96 E.B. AWD
my wifes 97 sport with the 4.0 is having a rear blower problem. i searched for a old thread with no luck. the rear blower will only blow out cold air?? most of the threads i looked at concerning rear blowers talk about a resistor, but the blower comes on. her explorer has the knobs for heating controls, not the digitial ones. any ideas?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hmmm.... my best guess is that something happened to the duct and it had become disconnected from the plenum under the dash. IIRC, I believe the rear air duct is supposed to suck air from the plenum under the dash, but I can't say for sure.

It's also possible that the floor/vent door in the rear console became dislodged and fell down, blocking the airflow, but I've never had it apart, so I honestly can't say.

-Joe

There is a duct connection right under the info center-cubbyhole compartment in the center console. Maybe it is loose or clogged.
Try switching from vent to floor or both with mode switch?
For some reason warm air isn't reaching this point. I think it is a constant flow that is boosted by the console fan.

Is this the one you just bought? If so is it something you just noticed?
It is possible, since it is a sport, someone added the center console and missed the duct connector.????

vent was disconnected from under the dash, thanks for the help...do the sports not usually come with the rear heat and air?

hostile413 said:
vent was disconnected from under the dash, thanks for the help...do the sports not usually come with the rear heat and air?
Good job
Some did, but I remembered several questions about people wanting to put the longer ones in their sports.

Mine has the full console, with air and all the radio controls in the rear just like the 4dr.'s.

I think that the base model sprots with the 4.0 OHV and SOHC may not have come with the full length consoles (for obvious reasons) but I think either of the other two trim packages included them.

I just wish they had put the rear blower controls on the dash instead of only in the rear seat... It's a pain to have to reach back to adjust the rear fan speed....

-Joe

My rear heating control for the fan speed is not working I have already replaced the fuse it was blown still not working any ideas. I am considering it could be the switch itself that needs replacing.Has anyone replace the fan speed switch in the back of the centre console. I would like to do it myself instead of taking it into a dealer and is there any other place to purchase the part besides the dealer since they are overpriced.

Easy to get in there- remove the armrest, then the console interior cover, opening up a few more screws to remove from the top.

Then open the cupholder and remove the screws holding it from the back.

Pop off and the switches are right there. (4) screws or sometimes 7mm bolts and it's out.

Pic from when I was cleaning my '97 to give you an idea:

IMG_0851.jpg

Rear heating controls

I really appriciate you taking the time explaining how to remove the rear fan speed switch the instructions you gave will help a lot getting the job done.:thumbsup:

Back