The Mint 400 - Who is Going? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

The Mint 400 - Who is Going?

..pm sent...:biggthump

...We could probably stop by..:scratch:..But only if you post more pics of the race truck in action..:bounce:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

We've only got 1 race under our belt so not a whole ton of pictures honestly... I've ridden shotgun in quite a few other trucks but this is the first one I've built and driven myself. The entire truck other then the front suspension kit is 100% home built in my garage 99% by me solo. I've got a folder with close to 600 pictures in it on my photobucket account but 9/10ths of them are build pictures! LOL When the technical owner of the truck is on the east coast and buying stuff that gets shipped directly to me and he never actually gets to see the parts at least he had photos to hold him over on his bus ride to work in the pentagon! LOL The team name is Tax Payer Funded Racing (TPF) since the whole truck was built on an Air Force enlisted paycheck with 16 years of service.

BTW, easy way to tell who's driving... My helmet is white, Jason who owns the truck has a black helmet. His wife may be in the passenger seat in some pictures with a white helmet but drivers seat, it's either him or me...

jump1.jpg

Kinda of a cool trio here...

TPF-4_zps1543784f.jpg

TPF-5_zps61147089.jpg

TPF-6_zps381232c2.jpg

Race day...

736814_4749271602762_752732965_o_zpsb565b986.jpg

race3_zps3ea9649d.jpg

177856_457538617628459_629222040_o_zpsd58277db.jpg

j_zps3ab0a511.jpg

whoops, nice tire with 60 miles total on it!

image-1844214520_zps4141ec0a.jpg

whoops again! The stick was the owners fault, this one below was my bad...

image-1431096783_zpsb9380355.jpg

image-2022063267_zpse084ad7e.jpg

Motor mounts are over rated! Huge straps work equally as well and will get you across the finish line even if it's 7 minutes too late which is better then our competition which never actually physically crossed the finish line! LOL

image-3249938042_zpscef69ddb.jpg

That's about all I have really...

Oh, well there's this finishing clip too... Truck had the motor held in by the strap above, one of the smaller coolant lines had a jack handle being used as a splice, 3 flat tires, exhaust was completely broke off and held in by an O2 sensor wire and one rubber hanger, spent a solid 20 minutes digging at one point, oh and a broken motor mount led to a oil filter change mid race too due to punching a hole in it. Good times!

Another note to touch on, that race was only 180 miles, I got to the pits at 5:30am and it was 17 degrees out. Jason left the starting line around 8:30am. Notice in the background on this clip, the sun is setting! It was a long day to go 180 miles!!! Only true issues were flat tires and the broken motor mount. All other issues were trickle downs from that broken motor mount. For a brand new truck garage built out of the gate, I was more then happy with it but man, my bed was a welcome sight that night!

BJ Baldwin passing, the owner scratched his pretty wrap on the fenceline too! Whoops!

9 minute testing video, My name is Khris BTW, if you watch the whole thing, you'll see the parts I'm driving in.

And this is a super short clip of my personal toyota, our plans was to use this to prerun with, the race truck to actually race with and then the exploder I'm building to Chase with and use for support on race day. The expo also will be my daily driver and my crawler. Just jump to the 0:27 mark unless you like staring at blue sky. LOL

...I will see your tire...

image-1844214520_zps4141ec0a.jpg

..although your stick is bigger, I will match you with a new tire of my own..:D

tire_repair_101_003.jpg

..I am a fan of straps but even a bigger fan of the use of zip ties FTW..:burnout:

..Seriously...You need to take all them pictures and do some build threads here of both the Race truck and the Chase vehicle...There are a bunch of us in desperate need of some inspiration...:biggthump

..although your stick is bigger, I will match you with a new tire of my own..:D

tire_repair_101_003.jpg

..Seriously...You need to take all them pictures and do some build threads here of both the Race truck and the Chase vehicle...There are a bunch of us in desperate need of some inspiration...:biggthump

Trust me, we had duct tape and zipties on board ready for action if needed!!!

Curious, did you plug that tire and salvage it or toss it? I still have that tire above with the stick in it and I'm thinking about shoving a plug or two into it and keeping it as a spare/testing tire...

And for the build thread... Check it... I'm less then a week and a half into the build though so it's not a whole lot yet and I had some down time over the past couple days due to my welder not liking me.

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=381341

For the race truck, I'm not sure if you have to be a member but we've got a couple, if this one doesn't work without membership let me know and I'll link to another. LOL I didn't do a build thread on here for the race truck cause well, it's a yota which I'm sure isn't that much better then saying the word jeep around here. LOL

http://www.ttora.com/forum/showthread.php?t=183881

Pretty much though, these are the two best shots of the entire build thread! LOL It once was a fully loaded '04 tacoma!!! HAHAHAHAAHA

Picture055.jpg

Picture059.jpg

..It's the current spare on my X and has held air ever since I plugged it and it hasn't had to be used since but as much as they cost now, it may forever be my spare..:biggthump

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=296115

..I had noticed the title of your X's thread but if it had "Chase Vehicle" in the title I would have read it immediately..(it could be added for you..;) )

...You can definitely do a build thread of the Race truck here too...Kind of like keeping all your vehicles in the home garage and it's welcomed..We have several members with jeep and yota builds that share here too..Bring it on..:salute:

...You can definitely do a build thread of the Race truck here too...Kind of like keeping all your vehicles in the home garage and it's welcomed..We have several members with jeep and yota builds that share here too..Bring it on..:salute:

Are they posting them in that same area I have my current one or someplace else? I've had a couple people PM me asking about doing one but I've always just shot them a link to one of the other forums. I could toss together a build picture thread pretty easily.

..I would definitely do it in the same sub forum your X is in..

..That's where us offroad folks go to get our ideas and inspiration..:D

..We do have a Toyota section in the "Other Vehicles" sub forum but it would not get the views or the respect it deserves in that section..just my .02

..Title it something like "Not a Ranger but it's a Race Truck"..:p:

...Found it..:popcorn:

..You sure you don't want to race the Mint this weekend?..:burnout:

LOL, it's not a matter of want, it's a matter of out of all the races I could choose to do without the owner present, that would be absolutely #1 without a doubt top of the list to not do without him! It's literally his bucket list race and to know his truck did it without him would kill him! LOL I'm sure the times I do race it without him here is going to be difficult enough for him! LOL

..We totally understand...:salute:

..Hopefully I shall be there by this eve and Brian1 I believe is already on the road from New Mexico...

..The weather looks perfect for racing this time of year as in it will be a cool 65-75 during the race...

Yeah, this weekend is shaping up to be really nice weather wise! Hoping to make a lot of progress in the garage! I grabbed my camera to upload pics of my rear shock setup but forgot the stupid cable to transfer them to the computer for the build thread. LOL whoops... Honestly they're not worth showing off anyways. If I wasn't in a hurry I'd be doing something else that would be more worth bragging about. Maybe next fall/winter I'll redo the rear shock setup but for now I'm betting it'll still work just fine.

Crossing my fingers a local spring shop can knock out some work for me this afternoon to keep me moving forward.

..I was hoping to swap some rear shocks on my X for this trip but what I have don't fit and I would have to drive a ways to pick some new ones up from 4WP out here or wait a day or so..:thumbdwn:

..I will be shopping for shocks out there hoping that maybe there is a "Mint 400" special going on..:biggthump

Looking for anything special? I've got the ones that were under the rear of the white expo you could have for free. They're nothing special, just typical gas charged white shocks. Not even sure of the brand. I don't think they'll mount in stock locations though. You'd have to see what I have going on to see if maybe they'd work for you.

BTW, only reason I'm in a hurry on this build is I have to daily drive my toyota which isn't really street legal and a cop magnet until the expo is finished. That and the toyota has no a/c and no headliner and is flat black and summer will be here too soon no matter what! I'd like to not be still daily driving the yota when summer kicks in!

..I like free to cheap..:biggthump

..Not looking for anything special as I will be doing some new shock mounts this summer..I just don't like the waddleing down the highway feeling since it's unhooked and the shocks are dead..:crazy:

...While you are shopping later today if you could please, see if any one of the shops has any 8" o.c. shackles for an X...

..And let us know who all is having "Mint 400" sales..I really don't think they will have a big Vendor section down on Fremont..:dunno:

I'm not down with the expo lingo... What do you mean by "o.c. shackles"?

The shocks I have are just normal eyelets on both ends and are fairly long. They were mounted to tabs welded off the rear axle housing to a cross bar mounted between the frame rails basically right where the spare tire should be. They're fairly long but it rode good with them to be honest. I just stepped up to something more tunable. I really had no intention of bypass shocks, they just ended up being a deal I couldn't pass up at the swap meet.

There will be vendors down at freemont for sure all day tomorrow but they're going to be selling "mint" stuff and the ones selling actual parts will be selling mostly the higher end race type stuff. Not sure what you're looking for. I'm swinging by Butchs offroad today after work and I'll see if they are doing any promo stuff but I'm not holding my breath.

..It's fabricator lingo..:D

..8" o.c. = 8" on center, bolt hole to bolt hole...;)

..I appreciate the help and you looking around for me..

Well see, that's why I don't understand it, I'm not a fabricator. Now if you'd said 8" from bolt hole thingy to bolt hole thingy that would've made more sense for how I roll.

Whitey has some generic lift shackles on it you could have too. I'm talking generic though, nothing special at all. If you wanted those too swap them for whatever's under your expo tonight if you make it by the house! LOL I just need to make sure it's still got something under it to keep it able to roll onto a flatbed to dispose of eventually.

I'll see what I can find for shackles. Heck, if you'd said something yesterday I'd have just had some plasma cut out for you with the shock mount stuff too and welded them up last night. Day late though... Story of your life I'm betting right?

Day late though... Story of your life I'm betting right?

..Day late and a dollar short...I'm always doing it the hard way..:banghead:...:D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back