rear body panel crack? who has it!! | Page 5 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

rear body panel crack? who has it!!

Funny story, My dads 2002 thats always been outside in Illinois has not cracked when my 2004 thats been well kept in Arkansas has the crack... Never know.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have two cracks in liftgate of my Ford Explorer, 04. I have called my local dealer and he says he can't help me. He gave me the # for Ford and they said they were sorry they couldn't do anything for me.

I feel that Ford used inferior materials since my Ford Explorer has been garaged and has never been exposed to severe cold weather outside. If this car cannot survive the weather in Memphis, Tn, Heaven help those owners who live in Chicago.

I have the phone #'s to call and will do so. Thanks for the info. Dennis

Im not trying to pick for Ford because I think its real Crappy for owners who have this crack... But I dont think its because of inferior materials, in fact its just the opposite. The glue used to hold the panel on is too strong, and will not allow the panel to expand and contract and therefore...Crack...

Ideally when replaced some double sided 3M tape should be used, as this will allow the panel to flex.

Part of the panel on mine has come unglued. On a cold day, it sits flat, but on a 100° day here in FL it puckers out almost 3/4"...I think thats the only reason why mine has not cracked, because it has a place to expand.

so the end result of this nonsense, even if you replace it, it will "most likely" crack again..... Has anyone tried replacing the whole lift gate with a 4th gen? I called a junkyard and he had a whole lift gate, didn't want to part out the piece. For $500 and the right color it seems worth it to just replace the whole gate.

so the end result of this nonsense, even if you replace it, it will "most likely" crack again..... Has anyone tried replacing the whole lift gate with a 4th gen? I called a junkyard and he had a whole lift gate, didn't want to part out the piece. For $500 and the right color it seems worth it to just replace the whole gate.

It should not crack again if you use a flexible double sided tape to mount the new piece.

As for the 4th gen lift gate I don't know of anyone on here that has tried it. I have a feeling it will physically fit, but I bet the wiring for the wiper and lights are different. You'd just have to figure them out.

It should not crack again if you use a flexible double sided tape to mount the new piece.

As for the 4th gen lift gate I don't know of anyone on here that has tried it. I have a feeling it will physically fit, but I bet the wiring for the wiper and lights are different. You'd just have to figure them out.

Curtis can I have your GS? I miss my Buick GSX. But lucky for me I had the 455 monster;)

Curtis can I have your GS? I miss my Buick GSX. But lucky for me I had the 455 monster;)

Wow another Buick guy! I guess you do miss your GSX...thats the ultimate. Did you have it recently? Ever think about getting another?
Here's mine... currently a 350
IMG_0135.jpg

And here's the 455 Im doing to go in it. I have it on the engine test stand to the left. If it checks out, it will get a soft rebuild and I have a stage III cam and stage 1 heads to go on it :D

IMG_6262.jpg

I miss it alot. It was my first car. But i was going up a hill and there was a turn at the top and my tire lost traction and blew out sending the car rolling. Not alot of damage but i had to sell it for insurance reasons. I really want another. Mine had a built 455(titanium rods, valve job, performance cam, roller rockers, the works) It was a 1972 also. I would give anything for another but its not gonna fit in my budget right now. maybe later on hopefully. :D There is a Skylark where i live but its a roller with no front fenders or anything. The guys wants $1000 for the body alone. All matching numbers but its too much work for 1000.

loose applique/molding/rear panel

I owned '02 Ford Explorer XLT. I had it washed to an automatic softcloth car wash in my town. The panel was broken by a dryer. The car wash owner will not take responsibility for the repair reasoning out that the loose was a ford/mfg. defects. Went to Ford dealer for body repair estimate. It was examined by other than a bodyshop technician. So, i'm guessing he's in-charge of bigger problems and that he should take this issue seriously.
see pictures:
sredir

I had the crack on the panel on my 05 mountaineer but then someone rear-ended me so I convinced the Body Shop to replace it. :)

Th gift that keeps on giving, First frost advisory of the season last night in NOVA and a nice addition to the imperfections list! What are some of the prices folks have been paying to get this fixed and has anybody had it crack a second time? thanks!

The email I sent to the Ford Motor Company today....

Below you will find a very LONG list of websites, all documenting the complaints and reviews regarding the Ford Explorer 2002, 2003 and 2004, regarding the rear cracked panel. I have already been in contact with two Customer Service Representatives from Ford, both of whom elicited a response exactly what I expected....yet was hoping I was wrong. Consequently, I was not wrong.....and Ford offered nothing but poor customer service and angered yet another ex-customer.

Unfortunately for Ford, you've found a house wife who has the time to invest in something like this, and I intend to make this issue well known. I have contacted Call 3 News, made a report through the Better Business Bureau, and that is just the beginning. I do not have the funds to hire a lawyer regarding this issue, so my only alternative is to make a fuss large enough for this issue to get noticed and corrected. Ford owes it to their customers to resolve this issue. If I had the money to replace the rear hatch and avoid this process I'm having to endure now, I wouldn't bother since Ford would likely replace the hatch with the same flawed part(s) that created this situation in the first place, as noted by many from the links below. It is my understanding through my research that once Ford realized this was a big enough problem, newer models have been redesigned so this issue is not repeated. Great news for those who own newer models, not-so-great news for those of us with cracked vehicles? My suggestion is to put your design team in place starting today, to create a new hatch for all '02's, '03's and '04's.

Warranties are not intended to cover design flaws that never should have occurred in the first place. This issue was not caused by wear and tear on our "very well taken care of" vehicle. Warranties cover wear and tear.......but legitimate car companies cover and fix an issue that CLEARLY elicits a RECALL for a defected part(s).

I will continue to fight this issue until it is resolved and Ford customers like myself are satisfied. I've said it before and I'm not alone....we take pride in our vehicles, and while a crack in the rear panel may not "appear" to be anything other than a cosmetic issue (it remains to be seen if the crack creates other problems?), I can no longer take pride in my car with the crack being a daily reminder that I no longer have what I once considered a nice vehicle. And while I can't see the crack as I'm driving, I'm reminded of it when I see the many others driving around town with the same problem. I've even seen some with duck tape covering the crack!!! I'm sorry, but a $30,000+ vehicle should NEVER have duck tape on it for ANY reason; not one that's not 20+ years old, at least!

Attached you will find two photos of my vehicle. While I hope Ford will end this fight "better late than never", and keep me from having to spend my free time arguing this issue......I'm prepared to do what is necessary to put an end to a very unfortunate situation, one that could have been prevented had Ford chosen to step up to the plate. Shame on Ford.......

--Lisa Chalstrom

Original Owner: 2003 Ford Explorer XLT V6 (Red)

VIN #: 1FMDU73WX3ZB09303

Odometer Reading as of summer 2010: approx. 65,000 miles

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.carcomplaints.com/Ford/Explorer/2003/body_paint/index.shtml

http://www.carcomplaints.com/Ford/Explorer/2003/body_paint/cracked_panel_below_the_rear_window.shtml

The two links above are just ONE of the many websites I plan to send to you, which show the countless complaints regarding the cracked panel below the rear window. At this website alone, 321 people have a complaint regarding the body and / or paint of their 2003 Explorer. Of those 321 people, 273 of them have complaints about the cracked panel below the rear window of their vehicle. Of those 273 people, you can add myself, making it 274.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.edmunds.com/ford/explorer/2003/consumerreview.html

Listed in the link above, you will find numerous Ford Explorer 2003 car owners listing complaints of the cracked panel below the rear window.....most of which was their ONLY suggested improvement on that vehicle. Also note the rating for the "build" of this model is a "5", and the overall rating of the vehicle as a whole, is only a 6.1....NOT great, in my opinion.

http://www.fordproblems.com/Explorer/cracked-rear-panel.shtml

From this link above, it is almost laughable that Ford having FULL understanding of this complaint, is STILL unwilling to solve this problem and correct it for their customers. Note that one person saw "6" Explorers in ONE parking garage, ALL with the rear cracked panel. In addition to my Explorer, I have seen countless others with the exact same crack....some of which actually have duck tape on them. How embarrassing for Ford, one would think? I also found the following quote the most interesting from the report: "The Ford Explorer's most frequent problem - in fact one of the most common problems reported for *any* vehicle (Ford or otherwise) - is cracks in the plastic panel below the rear window." And you STILL won't help?

http://www.automotiveforums.com/t489142-discuss2003_ford_explorer_cracked_rear_hatch.html

Now the website above has SO many complaints about the cracked rear panel, that the moderator of the site ended the dialogue because the complaints were so repetitive. How ridiculous is that? Not the fact that the moderator ended the dialogue, but the fact that there were SO many complaints and Ford yet again does not take accountability....amazing.

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums//showthread.php?t=235694

I'm feeling a bit repetitive myself here. Again, the link above lists all the numerous complaints regarding the same issue. Interesting how one post mentioned that a Ford employee let it slip they have been receiving a multitude of calls / complaints regarding this issue. And still....nothing from Ford to resolve this issue.

http://www.topix.com/forum/autos/ford-explorer/TCQ0SRS3D41AIGKAT

Well let's see....yet another 155 complaints listed on this link above. Ford's response? This is not a warranty issue and is a problem created by heat and humidity. I would love to say something inappropriate right about now, but I'm going to rise above Ford and try to show some dignity.

http://www.aboutautomobile.com/Complaint/2003/Ford/Explorer/Body

And note, there is a complaint that a person's rear panel cracked in the WINTER, so obviously it is NOT a heat / humidity issue, as Ford has claimed!!! Regardless of whether or not this crack occurs in the winter vs. summer, it STILL should not be happening in the first place! And, also note the people complaining of this issue have multiple friends with the SAME issue!

http://www.facebook.com/topic.php?uid=22166130048&topic=12547

Ok, this issue has gone to Facebook? Really? Facebook? Wow. The funny part is, Shawn from Ford made a comment in response to all the complaints regarding the cracked panel, and whether or not these parts have been recalled. Shawn, a Ford employee, simply offered a website to check for open recall information: fordowner.com%2F&h=5002d. Wow, thanks for the information, Shawn.

http://www.planetfeedback.com/ford+motor+company/quality/2002+ford+explorer/283285

This website is titled, "Planet Feedback-- The Voice of One. The Power of Many." If only it were true.....that the voice of just 1, or two, or 3... 300, 3,000+ people were enough power for Ford to realize what they're doing...or NOT doing, is WRONG.

http://www.arfc.org/complaints/2003/ford/explorer/?q=&page=10

870 complaints! 870!!!??? I will give you that not all the complaints on this particular site are related to the rear cracked panel, but MOST of them are....and including the paint issue which is something I have not even addressed yet!!! That is yet ANOTHER issue with the rear panel of my vehicle, which began to occur at the time the panel cracked.

http://automarketseoanalysis.com/index.php?mode=key&key=ford+explorer+hatch+crack+recall

Gotta lose my dignity for a second and step down to Ford's level by referencing the 1st comment on the forum found in the above link. It states: "I too have had the ASS crack on my 2004 Explorer." Well, at least someone is able to bring some sort of humor in what is a very unfortunate situation....one that could be corrected by Ford if they did what is right.

yw6p0bki29uvv2nua6u.jpg

My car! Hopefully this works, as I had to just try to figure out how to get the URL for my photo!

i got it!!! im on my second panel.. this one looks like **** right now. illtake a pic tomarow. it looks worse than any other one i have ever seen

I'm at 65K miles and on the original panel and no crack. Hope to keep it that way. If not I'm going to the junkyard and buying a 4th gen hatch and start splicing if the wire colors are the same.

The only way to fix this problem is a new hatch (4th gen probably) and ford is not willing to spend the money to give or discount us all a new rear hatch for their mistake.

I'm at 65K miles and on the original panel and no crack. Hope to keep it that way. If not I'm going to the junkyard and buying a 4th gen hatch and start splicing if the wire colors are the same.

The only way to fix this problem is a new hatch (4th gen probably) and ford is not willing to spend the money to give or discount us all a new rear hatch for their mistake.

A 4th gen hatch would be my plan too:thumbsup:

I bought mine crack-free a month ago with over 140k miles on it. I noticed the crack start a couple weeks ago, right after using the rear windshield wiper. And, of course, I've opened and closed the glass window a couple times when I first bought it, just checking how things work. So I'm not sure if the wiper started the crack or if closing the window did it; or if it just decided, after 140K miles, it was time to crack.

Joining the Party, Happened over night, no bumps hit or forced interactions with the rear hatch, did some shopping, so it would have been much visible to me opening and closing the rear hatch before going into the house, then came out this morning, this gnarly split down the middle, and I park up a long gated driveway on my property.

exp2003crack.jpg

I will call the hotlines, but I would be surprised if anything was done. I am curious if you can but the replacement part painted and if replacing could be done easily.

OK I have the crack as well. Has anyone had any luck getting Ford to handle this? From the sounds of it they have decided not to fix? I plan on calling Ford Monday. I've checked around at costs to fix and it's not too expensive, parts $140, it's the painting that's going to cost from what I can find. Hope someone has some good news, another $300-$500 out of the Christmas budget.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

OK I have the crack as well. Has anyone had any luck getting Ford to handle this? From the sounds of it they have decided not to fix? I plan on calling Ford Monday. I've checked around at costs to fix and it's not too expensive, parts $140, it's the painting that's going to cost from what I can find. Hope someone has some good news, another $300-$500 out of the Christmas budget.

If the vehicle was still under Ford warranty and you bought it new... then you might have a change of them fixing it. Since warranty on an 04 would have run out 3 years ago they wont touch it.

It is a black mark on them with a bad design... but since its not a safety issue they don't have to do anything about it.

Back