• Register Today It's free!

Rear suspension help

Homerexplorer

Reaction score
City, State
Upstate NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 XLT 4WD
Does anyone have any recommendations or advice on air helpers for the rear suspension of the Explorer? I have a '99 and it has the traditional rear end sag. On top of that I am towing a 19' boat (~450 lbs in tongue weight) and that drops it right down. I put helper springs on and they helped a little but not much. Thanks for any help.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I tow an 18 ft boat with my sport and i had the same problem. I swaped mine out for 4x4 leaf packs and the problem went away.

Since you already have the 4 door leafs, you may want to try an Add a Leaf, but that may not help much with the towing. Im seriously considering the air bags to bring my truck back up to where it should be since i already put 4 door leafs on my truck and shackles. I dont want an AAL since my ride is already on the stiff side. Let me know how the search for air springs goes.

Dan

Yes, I already have the 4 door 4x4 leafs. I was thinking about doing the AAL but if I were to go that route I think I would just replace the entire pack. I only want to get another year out of it so I'm trying to balance cost with effectiveness. I priced out the air bags and they're looking at $300 (no compressor). A set of spring packs is probably on the order of $600. Correct me if wrong.

Well, I went to NAPA, they called Ride-Rite and they said they didn't have a set of air helpers that would fit a '99 Explorer. They said the ranger set would not work. Does anybody know a set that will? A new set of springs is $400 a set but I'm not sure it will fix the problem.

Well, I went to NAPA, they called Ride-Rite and they said they didn't have a set of air helpers that would fit a '99 Explorer. They said the Ranger set would not work - I thought it was the same frame/suspension? Does anybody know a set that will? A new set of springs is $400 a set but I'm not sure it will fix the problem.

Air Lift has a kit for explorers part number 59514 and is about $180 on Summit. Here is the Link

Dan

Back