How to: - Rebuild 4X4 Shift Motor | Page 10 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How to: Rebuild 4X4 Shift Motor

Prefix for threads which are instructional.
:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

I'M GOING TO A MANUAL TRANSFER CASE!!!!

i guess it was my fault, but it's so damn hard to find the right spot for the censor.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

98' 4x4 Problems

I have a 1998 XLT and when I used the 4x4 recently, I get excessive tire noise like it is still in 4x4 even though the switch is in Auto. My switch is Auto, 4H, and 4L...does that mean I have Auto 4wd? Should the front drive shaft be turning all the time? I'm wondering if my shift motor is stuck and won't release. When I try the 4H, I don't hear the "click" anymore.

Thanks for your help
Shawn

OMG thank you so much for this wealth of information. I cannot tell you how grateful I am that you have taken the time to write such a great article!

OK....maybe it's me but......

As detailed and informative as this thread has been I am still left with a question or two. One helluva tutorial, BTW!

I totalled my 92 EB about 3 weeks ago and the next day at the tow yard as I was stripping my stuff off her the tow driver tells me about another explorer he knows of and I should go have a look.

So off I go because after that accident that I walked away from, I was suitably impressed with the safety aspect of explorers. The cops, EMS guys and the fire guys who responded all were amazed to see me standing up and walking after seeing the truck.

Anywho.....

I get there and it's a 93 EB with pushbutton 4WD and Low. Pretty nice inside and out and the fellow is asking $1300. Starts right up, runs smooth, but not knowing squat about 4 wheelers I figured I'd sort out the new buttons later. For now I'm fishing for my wallet to hand him some "hold this for me" cash.

Enough background I think....

I have no lights on the switches or the dash for 4WD or low. That is, they aren't coming on. I am going to try this in nuetral this morning but I cant figure out something else in the tutorial.

If I remove the gear cover {3 #20 security torx} while leaving the motor in place, can I get to the back of the gear to change out the funky bushing that seems to cause so many failures?

Or does the entire motor assembly need to come out to do this?

In other words....when I pop the gear housing cover off am I looking at the front of that gear?

Thank in advance for you help and way monstrous big thanks for the site.

I have no lights on the switches or the dash for 4WD or low. That is, they aren't coming on. I am going to try this in nuetral this morning but I cant figure out something else in the tutorial.

If I remove the gear cover {3 #20 security torx} while leaving the motor in place, can I get to the back of the gear to change out the funky bushing that seems to cause so many failures?

Or does the entire motor assembly need to come out to do this?

In other words....when I pop the gear housing cover off am I looking at the front of that gear?

Thank in advance for you help and way monstrous big thanks for the site.

1st Welcome to the site, and thank you for searching for this thread instead of creating another one asking how to fix 4x4.. :thumbsup:

Forget about neutral...neutral only comes in play when trying to engage 4x4 Low. But in order to engage 4x4 Low you must 1st be in 4x4 H.. As such If you were going off-road you'd press 4x4H wait for it to engage, shift into park or neutral then press 4x4Low..
Anyway you should be able to remove the cover (mark it with a sharpie for easier re-installation alignment). With the cover off the geared sensor will appear as pictured below (shift motor removed for clarity).. There is nothing holding the geared sensor in place other than friction with the worm motor shaft. It maybe tight, but you should be able to wiggle the geared sensor up and out.. If not you'll need to remove the shift motor from the T-case and tap the geard sensor out from the backside.. Doing this will allow you to change just the bushing without pulling the motor completely apart.

27133Tcase08.jpg

I concur with DeRocha's advice.

way cool!

Thank you gentlemen! I had a feeling it was as you described, But I hate going in with a question nagging. I apreciate yer help and I'll report back when I finish.

TK

This is some great info. I am going to have ot take on this project soon myself. My biggets question concerning this is the plastic bushing that gets replaced by the rubber hose. Is there a picture of this process? I am still a little uncertain as to what all of this is suppose to look like once I get it apart.

Brown Wire Removal Help

Great thread, Excellant pics!
Can the brown wire be removed from the connector without the removal tool?

Great thread, Excellant pics!
Can the brown wire be removed from the connector without the removal tool?

umm what tool??? And yes the brown wire can be removed from the wire connector; this has been addressed already... I suggest you re-read the thread starting with post #24...:rolleyes:

Thanks for the reply. Ford refers to a pin removal tool. I re-read the thread... (seems like many just cut and splice..) I did remove the red retainer. Mine is the 16 pin square connector. The pin doesn't budge. I used an old manual choke cable with a bend at the end. Should the wire side of the connector be open? Mine may be covered over with undercoating. Looks like it's all fused together.

Thanks Brian
The information on the the shift motor will be invaluable.

i got under my 1993 mazda navajo and it is exactly how you show it here.

when i get under i took off the "rock gaurd" or whatever, and then i go to take the rear driveshaft off and the bolts seem to be stuck on there. i'm using an allen wrench, but i just can't get them off.

what did you guys do? did you guys just put your truck up on ramps? or do you guys actually have the capibility to raise your truck in the air?

please help me with this, thanks!

Sorry 93mazdanavajo
My dads vehicle is in the hands of Fords service manager

i got under my 1993 mazda navajo and it is exactly how you show it here.

when i get under i took off the "rock gaurd" or whatever, and then i go to take the rear driveshaft off and the bolts seem to be stuck on there. i'm using an allen wrench, but i just can't get them off.

what did you guys do? did you guys just put your truck up on ramps? or do you guys actually have the capibility to raise your truck in the air?

please help me with this, thanks!

:confused: I'm confused.. This thread details rebuilding the 4x4 shift motor, why are you trying to remove the drive shaft? What exactly is the problem you're trying to fix?

BTW my truck is lifted and I have enough room to work on it (or have a picnic under there) with my tires on the ground. :cool: Before it was lifted I would have used ramps or jackstands.

i said this because the drive shaft is connected to the transfer case, so in order to remove it i have to disconnect it from the drive shaft....or do I?

did you guys fix yours while it was still in your explorer? or did you guys all take yours out? which is easiest?

i said this because the drive shaft is connected to the transfer case, so in order to remove it i have to disconnect it from the drive shaft....or do I?

did you guys fix yours while it was still in your explorer? or did you guys all take yours out? which is easiest?

That is correct in order to remove the T-case you need to remove the front and rear drive shafts... But more to the point: this thread you've posted in deals with fixing the electronic shift motor attached to the T-case. As such there is no reason to remove the T-case or drive shafts..

We can help you much better if you'd post what problem your having...

That is correct in order to remove the T-case you need to remove the front and rear drive shafts... But more to the point: this thread you've posted in deals with fixing the electronic shift motor attached to the T-case. As such there is no reason to remove the T-case or drive shafts..

We can help you much better if you'd post what problem your having...

Ok let me rephrase this.

I read this whole thread several times, so I know exactly what I'm doing. I am just having trouble getting under there and doing it. How did you guys do it without taking the t-case out? I am having trouble getting tools, my hands, etc. in a spot that tight.

I really appreciate all of the help.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ok let me rephrase this.

I read this whole thread several times, so I know exactly what I'm doing. I am just having trouble getting under there and doing it. How did you guys do it without taking the t-case out? I am having trouble getting tools, my hands, etc. in a spot that tight.

I really appreciate all of the help.

Put the vehicle on jack stands or ramps. Remove the T-case balancer (if present) you will then have direct access to the shift motor..

Back