How to: - Rebuild 4X4 Shift Motor | Page 11 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How to: Rebuild 4X4 Shift Motor

Prefix for threads which are instructional.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

can you point out the t-case balancer in any of those pictures?

The balancer or vibration dampener is not shown, but it's location is indicated in post #1

To straight out replace the motor with an OEM or aftermarket one, eight bolts are all that is needed to remove the motor. Four bolts hold on the weight that is used as a vibration dampener (not shown, but locations are marked in blue), and four bolts hold on the shift motor (locations marked in red are 10mm).

27133Tcase17B.jpg

The balancer or vibration dampener is not shown, but it's location is indicated in post #1

27133Tcase17B.jpg

alright man, thanks for all your help. it has been pretty rainy the past couple days but when it all dry's up I will give this another go...

4WD Still doesn't work

Hi,

I rebuilt the shift motor and all seemed well. It worked once, then never again.
What can I do now? Have you ever heard of that happening?
Thanks for any help. Aughh!!

subscribing for the project X....

4 X 4 Shift Motor Rebuild

Re: Brians Fix. My 97 explorer wouldn't shift into 4x4 low. I followed your directions, removed and stripped down the shift assembly and found my commutator and brushes dirty from time and use. Cleaned everything up and slammed it back together. Transfer case works perfect now. Bit tight working the brown wire but got it spliced OK. About an hours work all together. Thanks kindly.

Do you really "need" the balancer piece? I hit mine really good last time wheeling (bent the heck out of the bracket).

I took it off and haven't noticed anything bad about it not being there and the good thing is that I have one less piece hanging down. It looked like if I got enough force on that balancer that it would break the xfer case (which would be really bad)..

~Mark

Do you really "need" the balancer piece? I hit mine really good last time wheeling (bent the heck out of the bracket).

I took it off and haven't noticed anything bad about it not being there and the good thing is that I have one less piece hanging down. It looked like if I got enough force on that balancer that it would break the xfer case (which would be really bad)..

~Mark

The balancer helps minimize vibrations; lots of people don't run them since they didn't notice any difference either way.

Hi,

I rebuilt the shift motor and all seemed well. It worked once, then never again.
What can I do now? Have you ever heard of that happening?
Thanks for any help. Aughh!!

Do you get any 4X4 lights on the instrument panel or clicks from the controller? Go under and check the shift motor connector.

Did you replace the plastic bushing on the gear stop? If the motor does nothing (no lights, no clicks) it is possible that the gear cover with the switch contacts on it is slightly out of alignment, due to a bad stop bushing or gear cover out of alignment. If the control module can't tell what position the shifter is in, then it will do nothing. You can loosen the 3 torx screws and rotate the cover until the contacts align with the printed circuit on the gear. In 2WD you should get continuity between the yellow/white, purple/yellow, and brown/white wires.

Bob

my 4x4 doesnt work, how do i know if its the shift motor or something else? i dont get anything when i push the 4x4 button, no clicks, hums, anything. could it be something else? like, even when a starter is bad it still clicks over right? i tried banging on the solenoid but that didnt help at all.

thanks guys.

ezeedee, if you go to the first page of this thread and then read on...this is the right thread for exactly what you are looking for...there are a few q and a's on here about your same problem and how to test your 4x4 computer, good luck...

btw, where are you at in so. cal??? :scratch:

ezeedee, if you go to the first page of this thread and then read on...this is the right thread for exactly what you are looking for...there are a few q and a's on here about your same problem and how to test your 4x4 computer, good luck...

btw, where are you at in so. cal??? :scratch:

oceanside, a good bit south of you i think.

cool, a bit south but not that far,,,go ahead and read that thread, it will help you alot...

I have a '97 Explorer Sport. I'm trying to remove the shift motor from transfer case but the wiring is different than the one in this thread. There are 2 bundles of wires that come off the main harness (attached to the same side of the connector that goes to the shift motor) That attach to points on the transfer case. I suppose they are some sort of sensor.

I can't figure out how to get those sensors off the transfer case. The sensors have a bolt to hold them on, but after taking the bolt off I'm not sure how to get them off.

Sorry if this has been covered in this thread before, but I couldn't find it.

Anyone? Found a pic of the speed sensor that attaches to the transfer case. Looks like it just needs to be pryed out after removing the bolt.

Yes, once you remove the bolt and tab that holds the speed sensor in place, it just pulls out. It is held by a rubber grommet.

On the harness connector to the motor, push the tabs down to release the connector. If you pry them up they will break. The wire in the center of the connector that is hard-wired into the transfer case can be removed without cutting. Just use a bent paper clip to pull out the red plastic retainer from the center of the connector, then use a small screwdriver to push back the retaining tabs on the pin, and pull the pin out through the back of the connector.

Bob

Yes, once you remove the bolt and tab that holds the speed sensor in place, it just pulls out. It is held by a rubber grommet.

On the harness connector to the motor, push the tabs down to release the connector. If you pry them up they will break. The wire in the center of the connector that is hard-wired into the transfer case can be removed without cutting. Just use a bent paper clip to pull out the red plastic retainer from the center of the connector, then use a small screwdriver to push back the retaining tabs on the pin, and pull the pin out through the back of the connector.

Bob

Thanks! I may need that. I finally got around to removing the cables from the battery, and that has kind of solved the issue, at least temporarily. So far it's 50-50 whether it will go back into 2-wheel drive after having it in 4-wheel drive low.

From what I read I think that means one or both of the speed sensors is bad, but not sure if that's right.

First, i wanted to say thanks for this thread. I bought my Explorer earlier this year, and it was without 4wd. I got it very cheap since the guy thought it was completely broken. I pulled it all apart and the bushing was gone. Used some hosing and it kicked into 4HI with no probs. It also goes into 4LO easily. My only problem is once in 4HI, i cannot switch back to 2wd. I hit the button and nothing happens. I have to shut it off, shift into neutral, depress the clutch, and re-start it. Then it will be in 2wd again. No clue why this is happening. A neighbor suggested a vacuum line might be off, but i'm not sure. Any suggestions

Redneck, I've got almost the same issue, except I can get into and out of 4HI fine, its when i switch into 4LO, it gets stuck in that. The only way I can fix this is if i disconnect the battery for a minuet or two, then reconnect it, start the engine, and presto back in 2wd(auto).

I have a 98 explorer sport...I took apart the shift motor just like exeryone else, except I saw almost nothing wrong! the bushing was fine, all the gaskets were okay, nothing broken, the springs were in position in the correct areas and had good tension, the shift motor loks great. I applied some lithium greese to the gears, the stock stuff hardened a tad and wasnt in place correctly.

anyone have another idea what my issue could be?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

99 mountaineero/d light flashing as well as 4x4 high & low

Hey all,

I have a 99 mountaineer just since I put in in 4x4 to get up over a curb (in Reverse) I now have a o/d light that flashes and as soon as I putit in gear both highand low 4x4 lights flash. While driving it feels like it's in 4x4 low goes to 3k rpm at abot 35mph. I looked at the threads provided and taped on the shift motor and gear with 2x2 piece of wood and a small hammer. Afterward it appears to be grinding in fwd until it starts really going (5-10moh). btw I disconnected the pos bat term hoping to reset a switch to no availe. I'm begining to think the problem i'm experiencing is w/ the stop bolt and the cushion found on thread #1. Any help in this matter would be greatlyappreciated. I am holding down 2 households therefore $ is tight. Pls help this laborday weekend. Also will I hurt it driving slowly? Thanks in advance.
v/r
butch

Back