• Register Today It's free!

Remote Keyless Question

drellis

Reaction score
City, State
Oxford, MS
Year, Model & Trim Level
'03 Ranger XLT
I have a 2000 Ranger. I bought it used and while it was loaded with every option, I didn't get any remotes with it. I didn't even know if it had factory keyless entry. After reading some other post, I followed the instructions to reprogram a remote in the vehicle as if I had one by turning the ignition key from off to run 8 times in 10 seconds and the doors cycled (locked then unlocked) as if waiting for the remote control transmission? Does this mean I have a RKE sending unit with no remotes? Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It sounds like you are right.

If it has a keypad on the door, you have keyless entry.

you don';t need a key pad to have keyless entry...

They keypad on the door is what the keyless entry is. If all you have is a key fob you have remote entry. Not exactly the same as remote / keyless entry.

I agree with too fast...the keyless entry system is just that...a way to enter the vehicle without a key. This can be accomplished using a remote transmitter, OR the keyless entry keypad (if equipped). My 2002 Explorer XLS has the keyless entry remotes, but doesn't have a keyless entry keypad.

Then you have remote entry.

Back