How to: - Remove and Replace Battery - New battery at just over 3 years and 43,000 miles | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How to: Remove and Replace Battery - New battery at just over 3 years and 43,000 miles

Prefix for threads which are instructional.

Rick

Pumpkin Pilot
Staff member
Admin
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Wayoutin, Aridzona
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 XL '20 ST
Callsign
AB7FH
I just replaced the battery with an O'Relly Platinum with a 3 year warranty. Came to about $275 with tax. Ouch.

The Explorer started just fine on a cold start. My wife drove to a meeting about 2 miles from the house and when she tried to restart it was dead. :( I used a NOCO jump starter to get the Explorer back to the house. Ford Pass did show that it went into deep sleep mode after she shut the vehicle off at her destination.

Replacing the battery wasn't difficult, but next time I'm wearing a long sleeve shirt. I scratched the heck out of my arm working between the plastic cover and the battery. I used a 1/4" drive ratchet with deep 10mm and 8mm sockets. The 10mm nuts hold the cables to the distribution block, and the 8mm is for the bolt that holds the battery to the tray.

2020_power_dist.jpg

Remove the clips which hold the plastic battery shield in place. There are several plastic clips and two metal clips.
Lift front edge of shield out of the way. I used a 6" long 3/8" extension to wedge it in place.
Remove the two cables in front by removing their 10mm nuts.
Remove the nut which connects the positive battery terminal to the distribution block.
Loosen the nut on the close side of the positive battery terminal. That nut does not need to be removed, just loosened.
Wiggle the positive connector to remove it from the battery post.
Once that is all done there is a clip under the two battery cables that must be disengaged, and another on the backside which is disengaged in the same way.
Once that's done, lift it up and position it out of the way.
Loosen 8mm bolt which holds the battery in place. It is located behind the battery about center. Lift out the bolt and retainer and then the battery can be pulled out.

PXL_20240224_145034778.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ouch, looks like that hurt. Thanks for sharing. :dpchug:

Ironically, our battery also died with basically the same # of months and mileage as yours. The shop we use for regular maintenance, a Firestone, only charged me $30 plus battery cost to install the new Diehard Platinum AGM battery. It was worth every penny to pay them to do it. :)

4 1/2 years, 84k miles.. still original battery. But get the deep sleep daily because of dash cam draining battery till it shuts off at 12v.

3 years is all I ever get from a battery in the Phoenix area.

3 years is all I ever get from a battery in the Phoenix area.

I get double that and often more from my Optimas. Regular batteries just can't stand the heat.

Back