removing manual transmission | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

removing manual transmission

ol_ben

Reaction score
I was given a 92 sport with a bad manual transmission. I have removed the exhaust, transfer case, crossmembers and am currently stuck trying to disconnect the clutch hydraulic line.
The haynes manual gives very little information but indicates it should be a quick release connection. They show a special tool pushing one way while pulling the hose other way. The connector has a white ring with a v split in it that is able to be pushed back, however I amn unable to remove the hose.
Am I pushing the right thing? What is the correct procedure and how easy or difficult is it?

Also, once I get the transmission out are there any web pages showing an exploded view and/or a 'how-to' article for rebuilding this transmission?

Thanks,
-Ben

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Goto napa and buy their 10 dollar tool to remove the clutch line. It's a real pita, I had a friend who was able to do it with 2 screw drivers but it took me about 10 minutes to get it out using the tool. You have to keep at it and work the tool around the release mechanism (white collar) and pull on the hydralic line until it comes out.. good luck.

I made a home made tool and got the split ring pushed almost to the point where it cannot be seen. The hose did not budge. I can modify the tool to push furthur. I want to sure that the split ring is the peice that needs to be moved. Is that it?

thanks,
Ben

Ok you manual transmission guys.
I got the transmision out and have removed the shifter top. The gear immediately against the bell housing on the top shaft is "toothless", it is sheared clean.
Is there a disassembly procedure to get this gear out?
I can stumble into it by beginning to remove all bolts, nuts, split rings and slowly removing I can until I get to the problem gear but it sure would be nice to have instructions that would lead me directly to the offending part.Should I suspect some situation that caused the stripped gear to become that way?

Thanks,
Ben

If you don't know what you're doing take it to a shop, at the very least you're going to need a bearing press and a puller to get the shaft out. If your transmission is that fubared you're better off buying a new one on ebay. they're ~700.

No chance for a tranny shop or buying a rebuilt,
I do all my own work.
I have rebuilt manual transmissions periodically. This transmission is similar but not the same as the mazda rx7 tranny I rebuilt a few years ago.
I was just looking to save some time If anyone has access to a disassembly procedure.
if no one has one I guess I will tear into it blind tomorrow.

Thanks,
Ben

I'd look around online try www.therangerstation.com I'd source the parts you need before you start pricing out parts. Some of those gears in there are real expensive. I blew up reverse and the 3 reverse gears where ~400 and i know some of the foward gears are even more expensive. It's to bad I'm not home, I've got a torn down m50d sitting in my basement.

Well I have it apart now and it appears that the input shaft and the countershaft cluster are the main components that need to be replaced. The dealer says these parts are no longer available from ford. - Doug, you indicated ..." I'd source the parts you need before you start pricing out parts." So do you (or anybody else) have a source for these parts.?

Thanks,
Ben

I know Ford carries the parts you'll need but they're $$$ You could try a local transmission shop but who knows if they'll sell you the parts. I suppose you could always try an autoparts store, they might just be able to get them.

The best thing is that I went to the website Doug referenced www.therangerstation.com and they had a link to
http://www.diverco.com/rebuilding.htm .
I called for the parts and they seemed to have good prices so I ordered the The input shaft, countershaft gear cluster and a coupl of odds and ends that seemed to need replacing.
It will probably will be a few days till the parts come in - I will use that time to inspect and clean. I will also probably replace the clutch and the slave/t.o. bearing unit while the tranny is out. I suppose the good thing about replacing the the input shaft is that I can use the old one to line up the clutch disk.

-Ben

good luck with it, how much did all that come out to if you dont mind me asking?

What I ordered was the input shaft, countershaft gear cluster the input shaft needle bearing ant the two oil control rings in front of the input shafy bearing. I did not write down the quote thwy gave me but it was like $37.95 for the input shaft, $55.75 for the countershaft gear cluster $10.00 for the needle bearing - prices weren't available for the oil control rings or shipping. These prices sounded good to me - I will see if there any changes when te stuff comes in.

I have taken some pictures and will try to take more and if all goes well provide a write-up and send it to the board for others to reference.

-Ben

Wow those prices are alot cheaper than I thought they'd be.

Yeah, me too. I hope they are right. I will be very disappointed if they arrive and they are billed lot higher. Perhaps I was given "rebuilder" prices. Which, in my opinon anyone rebuilding a transmission deserves and should receive due to the complexity involved.

-Ben

update

I've had this EX on the road for a few months now and thought I would give the results. The parts came in at the quoted prices. I installed the new cluster gear, and new input shaft and the rest of the good original components.

I also modified the top by replacing the 3 rubber plugs with steel freeze plugs. ( I beleive the rubber plugs leaked significant amounts of tranny fluid leading to the failure).

I took the opportunity to install a new clutch kit and slave cylinder. Prior to installing it I made sure it went through all the gears. Installation was straight forward but felt like there were more things to put back on than I took off. - An illusion that probably resulted in feeling once the tranny was back in again the job was pretty much done.

When I first put it on the road I again ran it through all the gears however 5th gear has never been available since. The only thing I can think of is that I may have put the gear in backwards. I think I can check it out without removing the transmission from the car. I will have put it on the lift one of these days to check it out. Otherwise it works fine and I only miss 5th on the interstates.

I took lots of pictures and could put together writeup but I can't post pictures :(

-Ben

update 2

Everything was fine with the manual trans up to about mid january. I was cruising along around 50 mph, began to acelerate to change lanes and got only increasing rpm. I was getting no foward progress. I coasted to the side of the road. Tried all gears - nothing. The Ex would not move. Had it towed home where it sat in my driveway until last weekend.
I removed the trans and clutch (much easier than the first time around as bolts did not have enough time to rust in place) and found the clutch disk had come apart internally.

With the clutch engaged the disk was spinning but the input shaft was not.

This clutch disk was part of a new complete clutch kit made by perfect clutch and purchased from advance auto.

Perfect clutch has a 1 yr warranty. This was in service a year +1 - 2 months. - slightly out of warranty. less than 10,000 miles.

I called Perfect clutch customer service department and after explaining the circumstances they have graciously agreed to send me a new disk.

I await the new disk arrival and hope to get the ex back on the road shortly.

-Ben

Back