• Register Today It's free!

Repair or sale ?

hunter5

Reaction score
City, State
florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
02 sport trac
Ive got a supercharged 4.0 sport trac that had a #2 piston that didn't get along with blower. Needless to say a small piece of the top of ring land chipped off.
I got the piece out,put spark plug back in and fired up no prob. Compression checked out ok too. I'm not Gona drive it like that or anything,just got it going long enough to get it to my shop across the yard to get ready to pull the motor to repair. Truth is I'm about sick of f $#@ with the whole blower idea.
The motor has less than 30000 on it and I've got the original motor that came with truck.
The big question is whether or not to pull the whole thing out trans,trasfercase, motor and pcm to sell and do a coyote swap.
By the time I get this motor rebuilt with forged pistons, new injectors,programming and all the other stuff to get it reliable I'll have around 3000 or more in it.
I believe I can v8 the thing for a few grand more and have a much more reliable ride out of the deal. I've got a 3 inch body lift so I've got more room to fit a v8.
I'm here to ask people who are in the know on this matter. Maybe somebody that's been in my shoes can chime in and point me in the right direction.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Aren’t the Coyote motors really wide?

I got the specs on it,yea it's about 30 inches wide. Lots of mods to fit it. I've got a an older 5.0 explorer that I can get to move the parts over from. But it'll need to be totally rebuilt including trans and transfrecase.
I would prob have as much money in that swap as I would in coyote swap by the time it was said and done.
I'm just trying to pick a direction to head in and need some advice from somebody who's already been there and done that.

V8, and sell the blower set up to make your money back.

me personally, i would LOVE the coyote swap idea. for me, that would be over my head, but would love to do it. however, if you are looking for reliability, 5L pushrod is the fastest, easiest way to go because almost everything bolts in. there might be some electrical things to overcome, but members have done them. so i would say the same as stic-o said.

I would think buying the coyote, it’s transmission, t case, getting custom driveshafts, all the computers, harnesses, custom exhaust work would be far more expensive than swapping in something that for the most part bolts in.

If the motor, and transmission both need rebuilt you’d probably be better off sourcing a different 5.0 to swap from. If I was swapping a 5 liter I’d probably go with a 4406 right out of the gate.

I've considered transplanting a 1997 5.0 Mounty Drive train/PCM in a Sport Trac. Would those in the know, know if a 1.5" body lift make this swap a lot easier to perform?

Back