Replacing the spare tire | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Replacing the spare tire

Have a 08 escape Limited, It came with a donut tire, instead of the standard tire.Question, do I need to get a pressure sensor for the tire, will the on computer except the 5th sensor? Called local ford dealer, and got the run around,and told to bring it in so they could check it over, for a fee of corse.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The donut tire is made to save space. If you want a full size spare, you might consider just getting one at a salvage yard or from someone parting out.

Spare tires don't use pressure sensors. Even full size spares are generally regarded as something you use only until you have the original tire replaced/repaired.

You don't need to involve the dealer, just get whatever wheel/tire you want to use, as long as it fits. I'd say the donut spare is good enough for an Escape, unless you need a full size for off-road or something.

The reason I ask is I would like to rotate 5 tires insted of the normal 4 tire. This way I can get a longer peroid and mileage from the set of tires. I find it is easyier to rotate 5 tires then 4, from the confines of my garage with out a lift.

i've done this with 3 of my Fords. You will need the OEM rim, sensor, mounting strap, and of course the tire. Tire rotation - yes very easy with one jack, also i'm doing a cross over rotation. With 50k on the tires they are still over %60, they will dry rot before they wear out. Just make sure there is room for a full size tire. I also have to reprogram the tires every rotation.

First one the '04 ex JY rim for $100, plus the extra tire, $200 each; sensor was a stem mount fleabay for $20.

The ST . . (Chrome 18") rim for $300, tire $75 used, sensor $25, mounting kit $50.
For the Merc that has (brushed chrome 18") $350, tire $120, sensor $25, mounting kit $50.

I shopped Fleabay, JY, Used tire stores, dealer to piece it together. Some was very hard to find. Its about half the price of new set of 4.

sounds good, How do you reprogram the computer?

sounds good, How do you reprogram the computer?

with an '08 you most likely have the garage door opener type. has a green button. 3rd Gens used the magnetic donut type.

There is a training procedure, which is the same as the 3rd gens.
Starting in Off position with the key,
Turn to run/off 3 times
hit the brake pedal
Turn to run/off 3 times leaving in run,
Horn should chirp and ask to train LF (put the door opener thing and hit the green button opposite the tire stem, horn should chrip),
Continue with RF, RR, LR etc If successful the dash will say so.

Your talking about the garage door opener type, and the green button . not to sound rude, but what the blank are you talking about?

Ford Motorcraft TPMS-19 Tire Pressure Learning Reset Tool. Fits Mercury, Lincoln
Mortorcraft Part Number 8C2Z-1A203-A

http://www.fordtechservice.dealerconnection.com/vdirs/servicetips/pdf/TPMS_JobAid_102010.pdf

fleabay,
http://www.ebay.com/itm/FORD-MERCUR...1082949875&pt=Motors_Automotive_Tools&vxp=mtr

Dealer should have them for like $20; something about the F150 owners manual saying it was supplied forced them to offer it for cheap.

Just installed the 5th rim on the '10 ST, worked great. Only thing with the five tire rotation it has to be trained. After swapping in the 5th rim and throwing the spare in the bed it took about 10miles for it to trigger "TPMS fault" reprogram fixed that.

Back