Reverse Only, plus ticking noise from tranny | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Reverse Only, plus ticking noise from tranny

JOEZ33

Reaction score
City, State
The PIZZEL, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 Eddie Bauer
delete

d

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I got the main side line pressures.
P-105
R-150
N-100
D-100 for 5 seconds, then jumps to 125
2- 95
1- 130

*NOTE- in reverse the pressure gauge bounces so much you can barely read it.

I swapped the valve body from the other transmission. It had been fully upgraded with all the newest valves/gaskets/springs etc. I have about 5 psi higher but still has reverse only. When you select R or D you can hear a hissing sound kick in, but no engagement. Guess this tranny has a blown pack or something. The filter I found was cracked and had allowed it to suck in who knows what from the dirty pan into the pump. Maybe that crap clogged something up, but the valve body still didn't help.

Guess I'm gonna tear into the old tranny. It had a loud snapping/grinding/popping sound in reverse. It also was stuck in about 3 different gears at once when you select D. It was screwed bad, and big chunks of metal were layin on top of the valve body when I pulled it apart. Somehow between the two trannys I'll get one good one.....

Joe, transmissions are "mystery boxes" for MOST people. No responses are better than wrong guesses, IMO. Wish I could help but I'm not a transmission person.

Well anyways, I tore apart the transmission. Found the pump has a broken gear, but it still spins, so it clicks. Also it won't drive forward in any gears because the "Forward" clutch pack is completely stripped. Every one of the little tabs that the clutch plates have is completely stripped out. That explains the metallic looking fluid with shiny swirls in it.

I combined my old transmission clutch packs and valve body with all it's upgrades, into the newer transmission housing. I used the Low/reverse planetary and housing from the newer transmission. Put my old pump, and reassembled it all. Drove it around today, shifts perfectly, no delay in reverse, no shift flare, perfect. I even get a nice solid shift into overdrive, before you never knew it was shifting into overdrive unless you watched the tach slowly drop.

When I say my "Old transmission", it's really a 192,000 mile tranny but it was rebuilt about 35-40K miles ago, and actually looked brand new compared to the "newer" one that's only 96K miles.

Back