rolled and totaled my explorer | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

rolled and totaled my explorer

well this saturday night after supper when it was still daylight i was following a friend in my truck to his cabin, well come to be on the way there, we had to venture across about 5mi of gravel road, and loose gravel, i came to a S-turn where on one side was a pond maybe 2acres big and on the left side a tiny pond maybe 200ft back in from a prarie, going into the S-turn there was some nasty loose gravel and washboards and i lost control, trying to counter-steer out of the slide i over did it, started to slide the opisite direction, counter-steered again too much, this time comming to the last turn in the S-turn and slide right into the ditch nearly sideways w/ my front left tire going in first, my tire bit into the soft wet dirt and threw my veichle into a 3 dimentional roll over having my front left hit first, then smashing my back left, rolled over once and landed on the wheels, engine was still running and i drove out of the ditch and drove to my friends cabin, called my parents and the cops, got a report done, and here i am

i wasnt hurt, i had a friend w/ me, he wasnt hurt, we were wearing our seatbelts, i blacked out after my front left hit, but while rolling i could hear all the coins in my change holder fly all over the place, could see again after we were right side up in the ditch

the insurance company came today and said i rolled it "hard", they said if the veichle wasnt one of substansial weight, the out come would of been much different, and they said it was amazing that we walked away w/o being hurt, and only rolling once, aparently the frame is bent, and if they would repair it the best they could, it would never be like it was stock because of the twist in the frame, so in other words, totaled, i have a couple days to get out of it what i put into it, like xm radio and cell phone stuff....and now pictures

roll1.jpg

roll2.jpg

roll3.jpg

roll4.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Really? That's funky odd.

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Uhh...yeah I did that once...

I have an odd question, has anyone ever rolled a first gen explorer? I ask cause I wonder how safe they are compared to a 2nd gen with air bags

I rolled my 94 about 4 times and it landed on it's wheels, still running too! I have pics that I could email someone to post. I also was wearing my belt and didn't get a scratch on me.

really? mine stalled...

how come i had sticker that said children 12 and under can be killed by the passenger airbag, and why was there the cut out in the dash for the airbag? Not saying you guys are wrong just doesnt make sense that they would put that in....maybe its a canadian thing? airbags have to save our molson canadian horse riding mountie *****....(when they deploy:rolleyes: )

i have a 93 and the steering wheel has the little airbag insgnia

I had a fully loaded '93 Limited with every factory option before getting the '94 Limited with every factory option. Now, I don't know about Canada, but there were no optional Air Bags in '93 or '94. I know because I really wanted 'em, but they just weren't available. But maybe Canada lucked out and you could get 'em as an option. Doesn't make sense, but anything's possible.

I was just wondering how fast you were going? I dont want to sound like an ass here, but for the ditch to 'throw' your ex, you musta been going pretty fast. I speed too, but on a gravel roads, you should really take it a lot slower =P

If I were you I would just get the $$ for it and call it a day. Put it towards a new ex. Unless you got extra money, then turn it into a trail rig =P

We have two '93 limiteds up here in canada and neither one of them has an airbag

that doesnt look bad at all.

My First Explorer 92 XLT 4x4 4 door had drivers side airbag.

i bet they won't notice if you steal me the hood supports...

really too bad this happened- but it is likely to result in a positive event car wise. In my experience so long as your ok and insured totalling a vehicle aint all bad.

Are you kidding me?
Some Scratch-X will buff that right out!

worse than you think

All the roof pillars are folded to the pass. side. The frame is probably tweeked a little. I think in the state of Ma., if a vehicle is rolled, no matter how bad, its considered a total loss for insurance purposes. Too bad, it was a nice ride. :(

Yep I have a 93 XLT and I have a drivers side airbag.

there was no air bag's till 95..show me a pic is the "air bag"..my mom's 94 does not have it..cause they did not offer them!

Re: worse than you think

Originally posted by provincelander
All the roof pillars are folded to the pass. side. The frame is probably tweeked a little. I think in the state of Ma., if a vehicle is rolled, no matter how bad, its considered a total loss for insurance purposes. Too bad, it was a nice ride. :(

yeah, the whole thing sucked with rolling and all, but i think i drive much safer now and know the "tipping" limitations of the veichle, dont think i mentioned this in the thread above, but i think about 2-3 weeks after the accident the local ford dealership had a 2000 mercury mounty in, test drove it, parents liked it, i liked it, so it became mine

also after the whole thing was said and done, and after my insurance gave us the check for the total, a month or so later when we got the insurance rates for the mounty, it was only about $50 more then it was for the explorer, which isnt too bad considering i was completly at fault for the accident, besides the horriable washboards on the turn i was taking way too fast

Ak LTD, never got too pushy w/ your limited on gravel roads, lol, it sucks to slide into the ditch sideways and the feeling of having no control of the veichle is horid

My 93 XLT also has driver side airbag. Maybe the XLT had them and the Limited didnt?? Anybody know??

My Xlt dosent.

mine doesnt either.. theres not suppose to be air bags in 1st gens..... unless the ford guy was wrong? i mean we all know that happens alot:(

Brandons said:
Some people get the impression that just because the vehicle is rather large, airbags arent really require.

I just read this a couple years later.. and i seriously have no idea what the hell i was saying.........

my Ex has no signs of air bags installed or anything like that. Its electrical follows the limited edition setup, instead of the XLT that it is.. but still no air bags. I really do beleive they were not installed on 1st gens at all.

Brandons said:
I just read this a couple years later.. and i seriously have no idea what the hell i was saying.........

my Ex has no signs of air bags installed or anything like that. Its electrical follows the limited edition setup, instead of the XLT that it is.. but still no air bags. I really do beleive they were not installed on 1st gens at all.

You are correct, 95 was the first year of airbags for the Explorer. Ford made them standard equipment, both driver and passenger side bags for 95+.
Nobody here has a 94 or older explorer with an airbag, unless they installed it.

Back