RU planning to put a 302 in your X? | Page 5 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

RU planning to put a 302 in your X?

So you think you want to put a 302 in your 91 to 94 Four Wheel Drive Explorer? My advice is plan, then plan some more. Ask questions, then plan, and finally ask more questions then plan. You get the point. There are several sources for doing this swap with Rangers. Most of this info is usable on the Explorers. However, some options do change the way things fit. My ABS motor on the 94 XLT is making it tough to mount a radiator. Also, Size does matter! 302’s are the easiest fit. There is not much room in the older Explorers, so anything bigger than the 302 ( Size wise, not Cubic inch wise ) is hard to squeeze in there. Yes 427’s can be made to work, but why spend all the extra money redesigning the frame? Doing this conversion takes Time and Money, Be patent and you’ll enjoy the outcome. Try to rush it and things can go south real quick.

I started my project 9/27/00. Yep, over a year ago. Just proof that this is an addicting sport when you can sit for a year and still long for the offroad experience. Looking back, the biggest single improvement I could have made to this project would have been using a Donor vehicle. First choice would have been a 96 model 2WD V8 Explorer. Second choice would have been any 89 to 93 Mustang GT.

Donor vehicles can be picked up from Salvage or Insurance pools. Also, find a friend that can purchase from the Auto Auctions. High mileage Mustangs are going for $500 running ( who cares what the body looks like ) and the Explorers are going for around $3000. With the Donor vehicle you get all the brackets and wiring. Very important. Using the Explorer, you get the all-important clearance for your radiator.

Even with the Donor vehicle it is a great idea to have the motor rebuilt. It is out of the vehicle, do it now. Should cost around $1500 depending on how crazy you get. Cheap insurance. I don’t want to ever pull my motor out of my Explorer again. So rebuild it now. If you’re using an automatic, you’ll need to get Advance Adapters kit. It’s about $900 bucks and includes the output shaft. Have a good tranny shop rebuild your tranny using the new output shaft that fits your Transfer case. If you’re using a manual tranny, I don’t know what to tell you. Refer back to paragraph one.

Other thoughts…..

Make sure you line the motor up correctly. If the motor mounts are not lined up right then you will have the back of the transfercase to far left or right, and it’s time to start over. Pull the motor and reweld mounts.

Fuel Rails….This stuff is expensive. You can hook up the fuel lines on a 94 XLT using 96V8 Explorer parts. It's 4 separate parts and cost about $180.00 ( Go to a salvage ) The fuel rails connect at the back of the intake into extension lines that hook directly to the hardlines coming from the gas tank. Custom fuel line is expensive too, so refer to paragraph 1 and decide which route you want to go.

Exhaust…This is a mess on my truck. I went the shortcut route and tried to use Mustang Shorty headers. They did not work on my truck. Purchase the custom headers from Kaufman or one of the other vendors. Once past the manifolds I have a nice 2 ½” true dual set-up with Cat Convs. & 02’s. I will pass emissions.

Wiring….. This was another tough area. The explorer uses a fuse relay panel and the mustangs don’t. So I had to somehow merge the mustang and Explorer Harness. A good friend on this board did this for me. Fox wiring charges $600 for a new harness, but it bypasses the Fuse relays. I wanted it to be factory looking under the hood so I paid a friend to do this wiring for me.

Cost…..Well that’s hard to nail down. There are bargains everywhere if you do your homework. My estimated cost is between 5 & 7K right now. Can’t get an exact cost due to several issues that occurred during this project. It is not a cheap conversion. It does make swapping to a solid axle front seem less painful to the wallet though.

At this time my project is still in progress. I ran out of time, so I’m using money to finish the project. I have another friend finishing the truck. He is being paid well for what is left. I saw first hand the LT1 vette motor he put in another friend’s jeep. It looked factory, so I asked if he could finish mine. It was hard to find a shop to do this project because of all the potential for custom or fabricating work to make this combo work. I am glad I stumble across him. I’m hoping to have this finished this year or maybe in January. Plan on seeing everyone in Phoenix!

Good Luck and enjoy.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Brandons,

The 94 Explorer did not have a V-8 as an option. If you can find one that did come from the Factory with the V-8 please show us.

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

I would love to see a factory V8 in the first gen X........ please send pics of one..........

Ford may have done wierd things... I'd love to see a factory v8 94 explorer.

I know that Ford made atleast one 1994 Ranger 5.0L, but I have never heard of an X before 1996. Another interesting couple of vehicle engine combos were 2 1993 Mustang coupe's that had 305hp DOHC 4.6L engines. These 2 cars are owned by the aftermarket manufactures collectively and were used to produce aftermarket parts for the Cobra engine. Most of these types of vehicles are usually destroyed by Ford. Although there is always the odd one or 2 that somehow get passed the crusher. I would be interested in finding out if there truely is a first gen X with a 5.0L factory out there somewhere......

hellow everone. i have a 91 x with a 4.0 and a4ld; i also have an 89 bronco with a 5.o efi. how hard would it be to take the 5.0 out of my bronco and put it in my x. i am wanting to upgrade both vehicles with bigger motor because i have a built carbruted 390 i want to put in my bronco so i could take the 5.0 ant put it in my x. any help or opinions would greatly help. also would the a4ld take the power of the 5.o i just had a new one put in not 5000 miles ago.

blazeing91

Welcome!!

If you start at the beginning of this thread and start reading, you will find a lot of info on swapping the 5.0 into your 91.

You can also use the "search" feature of the forums for "*v8 swap" and find a lot of good stuff.

Good Luck!

I would never put a v-8 in front of a POS A4LD.

hey Von,
do you have a write up on your v8 swap? ive searched and couldnt find one.

I did not know this place existed when I was doing mine.

I do not think I can even post pictures on here, I have not bought a membership or watever you have to do.

I can give you the basics. I have a 91 exploder that loved to go through the a4ld trannies. On April 13th, a Friday, 2001 it went out again. I had replaced it twice before then, and broke the sprauge gear everytime. I had enough.

I bought a 1984 Ford Gran Marquis with a injected 302 and a AOD tranny. Drove it home for $800 at 120MPH. Seemed to be running great. I sold all the 4.0 parts to a kid who wanted it all for his bronco 2. Once I pulled the engine out of the Marquis, I went to change out the valve covers and all that. Once they were off you could see the DRY oil in the heads. Was not pretty. I pulled the pan to find out that the timing chain had gone out before. In that year they used a plastic lower gear. Not the best of ideas. The plastic peices had clogged the oil pickup tube. So, I decided that engine was not going to be my new engine.

Next I bought a 70 Ford van for a hundred bucks. I pulled it out and then set it up for my exploder. When I first put the engine in, I used the stock c-4 out of the van. I did not have 4 wheel drive. I used the stock Frod van motor mounts. They have a single stud. All I had to do was get the postion I wanted and then drill the holes in the cross member. They worked great for me. The cross member had to be moved forward of course. the c-4 is shorter than the a4ld.

I used all the brackets and pullys off of the Marquis. that way I could use a serpentine belt, and the stock power steering pump. I did not use a fan. The stock radiator went with the 4.0, so I bought a Chevy s-10 radiator for it, new. I did not like how close it was to the pullys, and I 4 wheel alot, and did not want to puncture it. What I did was remove the grill, cut out the core support a little larger and mounted the radiator on the front side of the core support. Then put the grill back on. I did have to loose the safety latch for the hood, and cut a small half circle on the top of the grill, for access to the radiator cap. it all fits in there nicely, and is not noticable unless you know what you are looking for. I bought dual B-Cool electric fans with the shroud built in, mounted those on the inside of the core support. The core support was cut to the size of that shroud actually. I of course had to use the remote oil filter, but that was a no brainer.

I was able to modify the heater box so i could keep it. I was also able to use the driveline from the van for a driveline while I tested to see if I liked how everything was setup.

I will start the next chapter after lunch, but it gets more interesting.

Well, once it was in I got to drive it. I really liked the 302, and it ran hard. My only problem was it had a miss. I tore it apart finally to find I had a blown head gasket. Put it back together and the miss was smaller, but still around. I tore it apart again and found something I missed the time before. # 4 cylinder had a nice crack in it. Wonderful huh. Out came the 302 and I waited for my next donor. Turned out a friend at work had a 78 thunderbird I could have. Ran good, just ugly as sin. It had a 351w in it. That was my ticket. I yanked the engine, put the accesories on the front and went to drop it in. Nope. The 351 is taller and wider than a 302. I had to change the exhaust monifolds, and get rid of the heater box. At the same time, I got a c-5 out of a bronco. it bolts up to the stock transfercase. I think I could have kept the heater box if I would have mounted everything lower in the frame, but I 4 by alot, and tucked everything up in the frame as tight as possible. Nothing stationary is below the frame rails. Everything else has worked out fine. The only thing that I have been neglecting is the transfercase. i do not have the computer anymore, so I have to shift it manually now. I could get 4 hi, but not 4 low.

It has been in the hills around 20 times or so since its new heart, and is still beating.

I will take some photos and load them on my Yahoo account if anyone is interested in seeing them, if not I will not waste the space.

would love to see some photos.

as of right now my plan it pluck the 5.0 out of a 95 f150 and go at it.

I got a c-5 out of a bronco. it bolts up to the stock transfercase

is that the stock explorer tcase that it bolts up to?

do youhave AC?

The stock electronic transfercase, yes. The motor to change from hi to low has a butt load of wires, that I have not tracked down yet so I can lie to it and get it to work right.

With a 302, yes you can keep it all. With my 351 mounted up so high in the engine compartment I cannot.

You have a 94, so your cross member is different than mine, but still very doable. You put in a straight axle, so do you even have a cross member anymore?

my engine crossmember is tight against the front of the radiator.

i have the manual shift tcase so wiring is not so much of an issue.

let me confirm - the c4 and c5 tranny bolt up to the stock explorer tcase? you had the c4 but now have the c5? c5 will bolt to the stock ex tcase (bw-13-54)?

if that be the case then i could land a c4 or c5 and go to town.... what about wiring of the c4 or c5 ... is there a special harness that you have to get or does it plug and play right along with the 302 or 351?

thanks von!

Not all c-4's and 5's are the same. it all depends on the tailshaft and adapter plate. A 1985 Bronco with a 302 will bolt up to our transfercases. A c-4 and 5 are the same except for the 5 has a lock up converter. There are no wires, except back up lights.

OK guys - forgive me, I'm coming over from the dark side.

Looking to put a 5.0 in my Jeep Wrangler (YJ) and am trying to figure out how difficult it is to get the wiring / computer happy using a later model explorer 5.0 with EEC-V/OBDII.

For those that have done it into older vehicles, what is the best route wiring? I plan on getting the harnesses and computer and probably a 4R70W tranny with it.

I have read some posts that say you need to have the dash, all sensors, etc (spare tire :) in place before the thing will be happy. Is this true?

Searched around here quite a bit...are there other good references for swapping in a late model motor into an older shell?

Hey man.. there was a pretty smart kid who use to come around here who has done all kinds of write-ups and whatnot on V8 swaps. I know he posted a lot of his info over at Ranger Power Sports.

http://www.rangerpowersports.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?forumid=12

asp84 is his name.. so you can search for stuff there or I'm sure there is a lot of other useful info in that V8 conversion forum I just sent you to. :D Good luck!

Your welcome to read over my website

You can read about my adventure 4.0 - 5.0 Diary

http://bart.is-s.com/~explorers/

Don't put the 5.0 in a heep...put it in the original bronco! :)

THanks for the input guys.

Still haven't figured out what the gotcha's are in working with EEC-V. Everybody says it's a pain, but WHY?

What are the things it must have to function that most people don't think about? I'm planning on a 4R70W, so that should handle the tranny.

For gages, etc. will I have to go to digital or will the engine sensors interface with analog?

BTW - find me a cheap bronco shell and I'll put the 302 in it any day.

The biggest difference between that EEC-VI system and the EEC-V system is the emission priority and the number of pins. EEC-VI are 60 pin connectors while EEC-V's are 120 pin. The emissions are priority in the EEC-V are first while 'limp home mode' is priority in the EEC-VI. I other words, on an EEC-V system, if there is an emissions system malfunction, the computer will automatically correct or even shut down depending on the severity with the MIL on. An EEC-VI will just go to the set tables of value and continue runnig with little notice. The MIL may even come on once and a while to indicate a problem.

EEC V is not that difficult.... If you know what you are doing.

I'm installing a 96 explorer motor/tranny using the EEC V electronics into my 68 Bronco.

Read Joe's swap diary. It's very good.

If you need help with the wiring, you can always email me brett@explorerforum.com

Brett

Back