RU planning to put a 302 in your X? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

RU planning to put a 302 in your X?

So you think you want to put a 302 in your 91 to 94 Four Wheel Drive Explorer? My advice is plan, then plan some more. Ask questions, then plan, and finally ask more questions then plan. You get the point. There are several sources for doing this swap with Rangers. Most of this info is usable on the Explorers. However, some options do change the way things fit. My ABS motor on the 94 XLT is making it tough to mount a radiator. Also, Size does matter! 302’s are the easiest fit. There is not much room in the older Explorers, so anything bigger than the 302 ( Size wise, not Cubic inch wise ) is hard to squeeze in there. Yes 427’s can be made to work, but why spend all the extra money redesigning the frame? Doing this conversion takes Time and Money, Be patent and you’ll enjoy the outcome. Try to rush it and things can go south real quick.

I started my project 9/27/00. Yep, over a year ago. Just proof that this is an addicting sport when you can sit for a year and still long for the offroad experience. Looking back, the biggest single improvement I could have made to this project would have been using a Donor vehicle. First choice would have been a 96 model 2WD V8 Explorer. Second choice would have been any 89 to 93 Mustang GT.

Donor vehicles can be picked up from Salvage or Insurance pools. Also, find a friend that can purchase from the Auto Auctions. High mileage Mustangs are going for $500 running ( who cares what the body looks like ) and the Explorers are going for around $3000. With the Donor vehicle you get all the brackets and wiring. Very important. Using the Explorer, you get the all-important clearance for your radiator.

Even with the Donor vehicle it is a great idea to have the motor rebuilt. It is out of the vehicle, do it now. Should cost around $1500 depending on how crazy you get. Cheap insurance. I don’t want to ever pull my motor out of my Explorer again. So rebuild it now. If you’re using an automatic, you’ll need to get Advance Adapters kit. It’s about $900 bucks and includes the output shaft. Have a good tranny shop rebuild your tranny using the new output shaft that fits your Transfer case. If you’re using a manual tranny, I don’t know what to tell you. Refer back to paragraph one.

Other thoughts…..

Make sure you line the motor up correctly. If the motor mounts are not lined up right then you will have the back of the transfercase to far left or right, and it’s time to start over. Pull the motor and reweld mounts.

Fuel Rails….This stuff is expensive. You can hook up the fuel lines on a 94 XLT using 96V8 Explorer parts. It's 4 separate parts and cost about $180.00 ( Go to a salvage ) The fuel rails connect at the back of the intake into extension lines that hook directly to the hardlines coming from the gas tank. Custom fuel line is expensive too, so refer to paragraph 1 and decide which route you want to go.

Exhaust…This is a mess on my truck. I went the shortcut route and tried to use Mustang Shorty headers. They did not work on my truck. Purchase the custom headers from Kaufman or one of the other vendors. Once past the manifolds I have a nice 2 ½” true dual set-up with Cat Convs. & 02’s. I will pass emissions.

Wiring….. This was another tough area. The explorer uses a fuse relay panel and the mustangs don’t. So I had to somehow merge the mustang and Explorer Harness. A good friend on this board did this for me. Fox wiring charges $600 for a new harness, but it bypasses the Fuse relays. I wanted it to be factory looking under the hood so I paid a friend to do this wiring for me.

Cost…..Well that’s hard to nail down. There are bargains everywhere if you do your homework. My estimated cost is between 5 & 7K right now. Can’t get an exact cost due to several issues that occurred during this project. It is not a cheap conversion. It does make swapping to a solid axle front seem less painful to the wallet though.

At this time my project is still in progress. I ran out of time, so I’m using money to finish the project. I have another friend finishing the truck. He is being paid well for what is left. I saw first hand the LT1 vette motor he put in another friend’s jeep. It looked factory, so I asked if he could finish mine. It was hard to find a shop to do this project because of all the potential for custom or fabricating work to make this combo work. I am glad I stumble across him. I’m hoping to have this finished this year or maybe in January. Plan on seeing everyone in Phoenix!

Good Luck and enjoy.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Great Info

Gofast,
Your post explains it all. It's extremely time consuming and very expensive, but hopefullt rewarding! I too am in the middle of a 5.0 HO conversion in a 91-94 Explorer!! Luckily in my case, I bought all the conversion parts(AA), tranny, AOD - BW1354 AA, and complete exhaust system from front to back, From a guy who already had all this stuff installed in his '94 explorer. So I know it fits, and has been set up for the explorer application. He spent big money to have the complete exhaust 3inch exhaust system custom welded for the "X". (He had a 1994 Explorer 4DR, that he had converted to 5.0.....got t-boned in accident) Anyway, this is a great post for anyone remotely interested.
I have created a Website that is specifically related to doing the swap in 91-94 Ford Explorers. You can find lots of TECH information, and a break down of all costs involved. It is also like a "diary" of my conversion!
Everybody who is interested, should check it out at:

http://home.earthlink.net/~asp84/

Good Luck
Al - asp84@earthlink.net

V8

I just bought one with a V8 already in it.

The 91-94 model didn't come with a V8 option. Only 4.0 OHV.

Great writeup. If I ever do this (I'd really like to do it after graduation), I'll definately reference this. Thanks Gofast...

I think drnaline was referring to his 1998 AWD 5.0 Explorer..... yes they did comes with v8's. He did it the easy way though. Ha! Had ford put the v8 in for him!!!

Jared - the SOHC was introduced in '97, so 91-95 had the OHV, '96 added the V8 option, '97 added the SOHC

Rob,

Has a Lot of GREAT points. I too am working on a 5.0 Swap on my Navajo. The only thing is I have yet to even take the truck apart and I do think I will even get to that point till about a year from now.

As Rob Stated the 96 Explorer 5.0 motor is a great motor to use for the Swap but the Explorer as a Donor is a bad Idea. The 96 Explorer used the ODB II wiring harness and the 91-94 use ODB I . The 96 harness needs the Dash To function properly. I am Going to use the Explorer motor with a Ford Motor Sport wiring harness, Computer and MAS. But, there are Great advantages by useing the Explorer motor. Since I was pulling the Explorer Motor out of the Explorer myself I was able to get the Fuel lines, GT-40 heads, GT-40 intake (with bend to clear AC box), and Short Front Acc. With the Short Front Accessories, I will be able to run a clutch Fan for better cooling.

Other Things I plan to use for the swap are James Duff parts such as dual slump Oil pan, motor mounts, remote oil filter, radiator, and headers.

I am Still up in the air about my Transmission since I will be useing a Manual 5-speed. I would like to run a NV3550 with the My stock manual T-case. If not I will go with a Dana 20 or Atlas 2

My Estimated Cost for the entire Swap is in the $6,000-$14,000 Range Could be Cheaper or could be more Expensive based on the parts I deside on. That also does not count the resale of the Stock motor/transmission.

5.0L conversion

I just got an engine for my conversion, a '93 Cougar H.O. The swap isn't that bad if you are have conversion experience, I put one into a buddies truck in about 40 hours of total work time. This was a 2wd but it was pretty simple. I custom made the harness by splicing the X and Mustang harness together, used Motorsport X hedders and '85 Mustang mounts reversed r to l. The only problem was the use of the longer style accessories which required the James Duff rad. I made a small plate to mount the tranny to the trans crossmember, and the exhaust was done at a local shop. Complete duals on a truck lowered 4 inches. With the extra parts the conversion ran about $2500 Can including labour. My buddies only complaint about the swap is that his truck now sounds like a Mustang. (You just cann't win) My swap will use the short style accessories off the Cougar with 96 X Motorsport hedders and a single 3 inch exhaust for torque. I will be using an AOD/4R70W tranny and a BW1356 transfer case with bolt on rear driveshaft from a '89 Bronco FS. The only mod to this set-up will be the rear driveshaft will have to be shortened a couple of inches.

Thank you!!

Thank you!! I'm glad that someone out there has said that this conversion is not some great task,or that it cost 10,000 dollars. Some times I think guys make a big deal out of these things. I also have collected parts for this swap and have not over spent. You just have to take your time and find the parts cheap. I have a 5.0 multi port fuel injected motor C-4 tranny and model 20 transfercase and all the little extras. And I am still under 300$. Last year I did the soild axle swap. I narrowed a Dana 44 six inches,put in new ring and pinion and a locker and had a shaft resplined the whole thing cost 645.00 Yes I did do all the work my self,but it wasn't hard I just did it.Now my truck has a Dana44 up front and a 60 out back both with lockers. The tires are 35" boggers mounted on 15x10 custom Eaton bead locks.And yes this is my daily driver. So don't be scared get the parts and just do it.Oh yeah one more thing anybody that wants a custom front axle built for thier rig just contact me.:bounce:

HAHAHAHAA thats right!
You can do the 5.0L conversion for $10K or you can do it for $600.
It just depends on what you want.
You can buy an entire 89 GT Stang from Auction for $500, cut and weld your way to a tranny crossmember and motor mounts. You'll probably have to spring for a custom radiator and to have your driveshafts modified.

Or you can start from scratch, buy a EFI 5.0L crate motor for $2500, buy the AA t case adapter, buy a brand new AOD, have everything powdercoated, chromes, whatever. go nuts! You can have a 300HP Explorer for $7000 that looks like it belongs in a showroom.

If I had 10K to blow on this I would have one sweet 327 (5.0L punched out) with a C4 and twin stick Atlas II.
Probably be sitting on bent beams or a D44 up front, 35's, and a full roll cage.
So to each his own.

The big factor with the 5.0L conversion if you ask me is how much of the work you do yourself. 1/2 the cost is in the labor easy.

Of course you will spend much less time and $$ if you get the entire donor. Matching parts is a bitc*
I spent 2 months converting my BII to a 4.0L, the next time we did a 4.0L we bought the enitre donor, only way to fly...

OH hey GOFAST who did that awesome wiring job for you? Was it Brett? Give him some props when this is all over and it's running....

Windsor fox rips you off for the wiring, starts at $700, give me a break......They go too far....

Wiring & Cost.

Originally posted by 410Fortune

OH hey GOFAST who did that awesome wiring job for you? Was it Brett? Give him some props when this is all over and it's running....

My wiring was done by a friend. I paid him for doing the wiring, and I am very impressed. Looks great, and questions are answered quickly when I forget what type of connecters are used etc.

I do not have his permission ( yet? ) to share on the forum who did the wiring. He may not want anymore business, if he does then he will be highly recomended by me.

COST of project?

Keep in mind the focus of this thread is to let others know some of whats in store for them. It's up to them how much they spend. I freely admit where I made mistakes, so hopufully others will avoid the same mistakes.

$600 conversion? Very rare for most people. They simple do not have access to the welding skills or auction vehicles. It would be misleading for most to expect thier conversion to only cost $600. Not to mention the $300 radiator.

10K conversion? Well I bet I'll be close to that. Yes I want to look like a show truck. So what? I will still run any trail out there. Didn't stop me before the conversion, why would it stop me after? Yep, I have some chrome, I have some powder coating. Yes I'm planning on a nice set of leather seats too. Maybe I can win a trophy at a show-n-shine? But, I will have a freshly built motor and a freshly built tranny etc. Why go through all the work and effort and find out the donor vehicle had a bad motor or tranny? :(

( Theres a very good deal in the 4 Sale forum now for a blown motor in a conversion )

So for those of you out there looking to convert to a V8, The message is still the same...Plan, Plan, & Plan.

There are cheaper ways to do some of this and like stated by others in this thread, if you have the ability to do most of this work yourself, then you can do it much cheaper.

How about some "along the way" photos Rob.

How are things looking for the AZ run?

Photo's

I need to post some Photo's of progress made lately. As soon as I make the trek North ( My truck is in a friends shop, 4 hours north of me ) I'll take some photo's.

To let others know what I'm doing...

I have been Coaching my Daughters Select level Soccer team. We have a min. of 2 practices a week, and sometimes we practice everynight. Add in Games and tournaments to the mix and you'll see that I don't have a lot of free time.

So when I started coaching we decided to have a friend finish the project for me. Motor is in place, wiring harness installed, yellow top Optima purchased today. Radiator is installed. Now to finish the accessories and a few odds & ends. He works different shifts so when he goes back to day shifts he'll finish the truck up. His estimate is sometime in March, he thinks later rather than sooner. I believe AZ is out. I have already asked about planning a MOAB trip and he said sure. It should be done by then? So I am waiting and hoping.

I'm ready to wheel again, In my truck!

Oh wait! dont take that the wrong way!

My truck is 1/2 show and shine, 1/2 mean ******.

I have some chrome plated rims and I'm always getting, "oh that trucks too pretty to go off road" etc..

HAhahaha!
I have seen a complete 5.0L swap done for $600.
$500 was paid for the donor truck, $100 misc.

I spent a ton of $$$$$ converting my BII to a 4.0L, I didnt buy the donor (I will next time)

My friend Joe is doing a 5.0L into his 94 EB Ex right now!
Talk about taking your time and doing it right.
his Ex is imaculate, I'm sure you guys see him on here (HI Joe! hey post some pics)

I will be joining Brett and Joe in MOAB.

Hope to see your 5.0L beast there too!!! PLan Plan PLan!

No worries...

I've been to Moab with both Joe & Brett. Can't wait to see there 5.0 swaps. I know there both converting for much less than the average person can do it for.

Look forward to seeing you at the Explorer Olympics! ( Moab )

I agree completely with Gofast about the planning part, I am still researching options for my Explorer. I already have the engine, wiring, computer, hedders and other misc parts I need for the conversion. I decided to stay with my original transfer case and ordered up the James Duff transfer case adapter. I also just located a '97 Crown Vic 4R70W core so that I can have the wide ratio gear set in my rebuilt AOD tranny.

I am planning to start my conversion in late March or early April and hope to have everything ready to go by then. I still have more stuff to collect but I am getting really close.

Also if you start looking for parts way ahead of time you may find some stuff cheaper. I found my engine complete, still in a '93 Cougar, with 94,000kms for $500 Canadian. I also ran the engine and pulled it myself with absolutely every nut, bolt, sensor and wire that I needed to make it run in my truck. I plan on making the install clean and look like it might be factory, but show quality isn't a big thing with me.

Re: Wiring & Cost.

Originally posted by Gofast

My wiring was done by a friend. I paid him for doing the wiring, and I am very impressed. Looks great, and questions are answered quickly when I forget what type of connecters are used etc.

I do not have his permission ( yet? ) to share on the forum who did the wiring. He may not want anymore business, if he does then he will be highly recomended by me.

Sure, you have my permission.

The word is out!

OK,OK,OK! Brett did my wiring.

He can give you more details than I can, but basically its like this.

Wire it yourself. I've done other cars and really did not have time to do my truck. Plus, I wasn't that comfortable with wiring a Ford. I've done many older chevys but never tore into all the computer controlled stuff. Piece of mind was worth having Brett do it. I owe him, in my book. If he needs help with anything I'm there.

Buy Aftermarket harness. Looked at Windsor-Fox set-up. $400 if you send him the existing harness. $600 if you buy it straight from him. More if you do anything custom. He does not incorperate the 2 harnesses togather. Not really sure how that part works, but it would bypass everything that runs off of the big relay box under the hood. That includes fuel pump, A/C equipment and I think gauges and ABS brakes. It can be done that way, but I felt better having as much of it wired like factory as possible.

Do it yourself. ( or find someone who will ) This is the route I took. I started down this road doing it myself, but ran into some basic " OK, where does this round plug go?" type questions. I didn't have the time to research all that stuff. Brett spent 30+ hours doing my harness. It returned looking factory.

Very Happy Customer, I would recomend his work to anyone.

wired

:rolleyes:
Rob,

Ok here are my "before" dyno results.

They are near the bottom of my web page.
http://bart.is-s.com/~explorers/jsdietz
No pictures yet...scanner is acting up...

PS:
I'd like to see the ENRON like accounting folks
are doing on their swaps. I'm over 2K on my
5.0L engine rebuild for parts and machine work.
And my engine is nothin fancy...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Wiring is actually easier than the monster people make it out to be. The Mustang harness is stand alone. I will be putting up a guide to doing wiring.

Note on my conversion, The 92 5.0 H.O. that I bought from the yard (with only 53K), turned out to have spun bearings.......I found this out after I got it all installed and running. (must have ran without oil for a long time) Looks like I'm going to redoing the swap all over again. This time I will be using a 92 T-bird 5.0 H.O. which is actually better, due to its low profile valve covers and curved intake, and short front ACC kit. I wished I would have used this engine the first time. I highly reccomend using this engine over the mustang 5.0.....due to the above reasons. Interesting fact......The 92-93 T-bird 5.0 is set up like the 94-95 Mustang engines.

Note: The complete conversion took me 2.5 weeks to complete. It looks pretty killer in there too! :)

Back