• Register Today It's free!

Runs rough, CE lite on, no power

OldYankee

Reaction score
City, State
Concord, MA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'98 XLT
I'm bummed, my baby is hurting and I don't how to make her feel better...

I recently had the thermostat and fan belt changed, then in less than 200 miles, the engine started acting weird. On a particulalry long, steep hill in northern NH, the check engine light came on and she started to run rough. I figured the cold might be part of the problem (-14F), and I assured myself that when I get back home (in MA) that I would have it checked.

Well, I changed the plugs and wires, and replaced the rear O2 sensor.

The engine still ran rough when accelerating, and dropped in RPMs when Idling to around 500-600 to almost stalling. Also, there was a knocking, not a tapping like water in the fuel, but knocking in the engine at all times (that it was running). I had lost alot of power to climb hills and accelerate, too.

I dropped it off at the Ford dealer, the diags said that cyclinder 4 & 5 were misfiring and they suspect the timing chain has problems. They need to remove the front of the engine to see what the problems are ($400). Then if the problem is timing chain only, then another $8-900 to fix that, but possibly, on the high-end, $3500 for a new engine.

I'm in shock.

Something doesn't sound right to me, and I need more opinions from those who know.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

did you ever have the recalls performed i would change the plugs and wires but the dealers diagnostics is very possible

Sounds like a coil pack to me. I've had two go out in my V8 so far. Might as well check that first since its only $50 or so.

She has new plugs and wires. I replaced those when before bringing it to the dealer. She runs better, but the problems still are the same.

Feeling good

GREAT NEWS!

I just spoke to the dealer, they tore open the engine to check out the timing chain, and there was more broken than they thought.

On the other hand, since I had only 97,000 miles on her, the repairs fall under one of Ford's warranty repair plans and it will be covered, completely. Everything. Today is a good day...maybe I'll buy a lottery ticket!

Back