Rust Repair Cost - Does This Seem Correct? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Rust Repair Cost - Does This Seem Correct?

Does anyone know the going rates for rust repair and if the prices I've been quoted seem appropriate? This is for a 2008 4.6L V8 Limited with about 150k miles. I'm also located in Pennsylvania if that matters. Penndot loves to overly salt everything during the winter which I'm sure is the largest contributing factor.

I've taken this to a local body shop that works with rust and I was quoted $1,707 to do the right rear quarter and wheel well. This includes cutting and welding in a new piece, cutting and welding new cross members underneath, and removing/replacing items like right rear glass, tail lamp, bumper, etc. Also includes cleaning, caulking, priming, and repainting to match the existing paint.

Both of my rockers are also beginning to show some signs of blistering and they want $3,190 to cut/weld new rockers on. This includes pretty much everything listed for the rear quarter (except they would be removing/replacing all 4 doors, running boards, etc.). Shop said it's currently only on the outside and the rust hasn't gone too far in.

This is literally the first time I've ever had to deal with body work out of pocket. Does this price sound in line with the current market? I was kind of hoping to get the whole thing taken care of for around $2-3k, but I'm looking at closer to $5k.

Thanks for any input, it's much appreciated!
20221014_171012.jpg
20221014_171026.jpg
20221014_170936.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

for all that work id say 1500-1600, but the 1700 isnt far off.
the 3100 is also not a bad price imo.

That is a labor intensive job.

That is a labor intensive job.
Yeah, it sounds like it. I've put this same question out to a 4th gen Facebook group and I'm getting a mixed bag of folks saying that the price sounds right and others saying the guys out of his mind. I really have no idea what one should pay for something like this. But yes, it sounds like a lot of work and a massive PITA.

Does anyone know the going rates for rust repair and if the prices I've been quoted seem appropriate? This is for a 2008 4.6L V8 Limited with about 150k miles. I'm also located in Pennsylvania if that matters. Penndot loves to overly salt everything during the winter which I'm sure is the largest contributing factor.

I've taken this to a local body shop that works with rust and I was quoted $1,707 to do the right rear quarter and wheel well. This includes cutting and welding in a new piece, cutting and welding new cross members underneath, and removing/replacing items like right rear glass, tail lamp, bumper, etc. Also includes cleaning, caulking, priming, and repainting to match the existing paint.

Both of my rockers are also beginning to show some signs of blistering and they want $3,190 to cut/weld new rockers on. This includes pretty much everything listed for the rear quarter (except they would be removing/replacing all 4 doors, running boards, etc.). Shop said it's currently only on the outside and the rust hasn't gone too far in.

This is literally the first time I've ever had to deal with body work out of pocket. Does this price sound in line with the current market? I was kind of hoping to get the whole thing taken care of for around $2-3k, but I'm looking at closer to $5k.

Thanks for any input, it's much appreciated!View attachment 435592View attachment 435593View attachment 435594
Sounds right to me. Hope it works out well!

Definitely not out of line.

Lots of work there to repair that right. Sounds about right but for 5k I'd consider driving to Virginia and picking up one with no rust and keeping both

Lots of work there to repair that right. Sounds about right but for 5k I'd consider driving to Virginia and picking up one with no rust and keeping both
Would love to do that, and probably will eventually, but I'd still have to get this one fixed up. This one is a bit sentimental to me.

Yeah, it sounds like it. I've put this same question out to a 4th gen Facebook group and I'm getting a mixed bag of folks saying that the price sounds right and others saying the guys out of his mind. I really have no idea what one should pay for something like this. But yes, it sounds like a lot of work and a massive PITA.
The price is where I'd expect it to be. You could ask for an itemized breakdown of the quote. Parts and materials will be a small fraction of the total amount. I had a 96 ford ranger bed repaired and painted. One outer side was replaced, that bill was $2,800. In my eyes you are getting a lot more work done for a little more money spent.

Back