• Register Today It's free!

SCT Tuner

ericautopart

Reaction score
City, State
Jersey Shore
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 XLT 5.0L AWD
I've been wanting to get a tuner for a while for my DD but for 400 bucks it's rough. I've seen used ones on ebay but it was my understanding that they can only be used with one vehicle. ANyone have experience with a used SCT tuner?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

it can only be used on one vehicle at a time, and as long as that vehicle is returned to the stock program it can be used on another one. But only up to 5 vehicles then it will be locked up, and you'll have to send it to sct to unlock it ($150). Also consider that most tuners will include a couple of tune files with a new tuner. And you would have to buy the tunes if you bought a used one. Jah81592 charges $50 for a tune file. So unless you get a really good deal it could cost just as much to buy a used one in the end.

Thanks for clearing that up! Looks like I'll just have to save and sell old stuff (I can afford a new one but my wife is getting pissed at all the money I spend on my car) :)

Money well spent. I'd be wary of buying second hand because you don't know the history of the flasher. In addition, I used to hit the forums now and again on sctflash.com and some earlier versions of the Xcalibrator flashers could be problematic (nothing a firmware flash couldn't sort out). As someone mentioned, as long as you the unit is returned to stock, you're good to go, BUT you still need to be wary as to how many times it's been returned to stock because of the limitations. My XC2 has been used on 2 Explorers, but I got mine new from Bama. I now use Henson's tunes exclusively (87/89/91 performance). He stands behind his products and his work. Well worth paying the extra $$$ to get a new one, IMHO.

I'm going to get a new one I decided. Just trying to get the money for it. I'll either go to hensons or steeda. I know neither of the companies have much room to work with price..and they both matched each other and I like both companies a lot :)

If you want to tune an Explorer, I don't think there is any choice to make. I know of know one who has spent the time...and is willing to spend the time...as James at Henson.

SCT X3 at steeda is over 500

Back