Seafoam Hype?

Mattbuyshouses

Reaction score
City, State
Rockford, IL
Year, Model & Trim Level
'95 XLT
NOT!

I have to admit, I was a bit skeptical thinking that the many rave posts about running Seafoam was a bunch of new age hooey. I mean, for a couple years now I've seen posts on this board about increased gas mileage, better response, better idle, more horses etc.

I don't usually do much on the X by myself and wasn't sure how this eXperiment would go, but after reading several posts on how to do this on this model or that I finally decided tonight on my way home to stop and pick up a bottle.

I tried going through the PCV port but the X kept stalling. I didn't realize at first that the inlets needed some plugging once I removed the hoses to get access to the PCV. I plugged them both with a finger and rigged a funnel into the hose running to the PCV. After a failed first attempt, (the PCV still in it's port) and seafoam leaking out the hose I decided to go through the booster hose instead. Easier access anyway on the '95 X.

I probably didn't do a good enough job but I have to say;
1) the smoke show was awesome and not nearly as rank as I would have thought it to smell,
2) I ran it for a whole can (what was left after some spillage on the failed PCV attempt), shut it off for about 20 minutes to soak and cranked it up. Again the smoke show was at least good entertainment (and hopefully killed a few skeeters too)
3) After idling for another 20 minutes I took it out on the road, (smoke show done by then) and got it on the open highway....... wheeeeeeeeeee!

I couldn't believe the horsepower and response that this little V6 was dishing out. I am _truly_ a believer and am addicted to the feeling after just one half-a##ed attempt in what a little cleaning can mean to the engine.

I was a little reluctant and I'll admit it, scared to try this now that my X has just crossed the 200k line, but I have to say, it certainly seems like the 'ol girl has a new lease on life.

Does anyone with eXperience have any recommendations on what intervals one should do a seafoam treatment? I'm wondering if it would be too much to do it along with the regularly scheduled oil change routine. Anyone have any thoughts?

Anyway, off the stump for now, just wanted to share and say thanks to all you who take the time to post how-to's for us newbies aka (dumba##es) who don't know the PCV from a MAS or a TPS. :confused:

If this works, I'll post a few pix of the beginning of the smoke show... at the peak you couldn't even see my X or the black Mountaineer next to it.

:chug:

Mattbuyshouses
'95 XLT
Stock
202,000 and counting!!!

Attachments

• seafoam1.jpg
    seafoam1.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 588
  • seafoam2.jpg
    seafoam2.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 574

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Glad it worked for you! I ran a can through my gas tank and noticed a significant difference in perfermance also. Haven't done it through the booster yet, but it sounds like I will soon! Are you supposed to "drive it like you stole it" after the treatment, or just normal highway driving?

I also was not sure if i wanted to do it. You always read things that say they can help but not to sure if you want to try it. Well i also took the plung and did it to my sport. Dam what a smoke show. Helped out alot. I would recommend it alot. :thumbsup:

I'll tell you this much, Seafoam worked a miracle on my old '82 CB650. I couldn't go pass 55 mph without the engine bogging down, so I ran Seafoam through the vacuum plugs on all 4 carburators and got thick white smoke galore. Afterwards, the engine idled much smoother and it flies past 55:thumbsup: This stuff really works. I saw a thread a few weeks ago here about a similiar product but it cost about 4 times more. Can't remember the name of it.

Watch out for cops after you do this. You don't want to get pulled over for smoke coming out. BTW, how did you attach pictures without an elite membership?

Non-Elite's who have made at least 50 posts can post 3 or 5 (I forget which) photos. Elite's have an unlimited attachment quota.

I'm not certain about the attachment requirements. I've had an elite membership in the past, maybe that has something to do with it.

Edit
Didn't see it was you Rick who answered this already. I thought maybe you were just giving me credit for being Elite at one time but never really using it much. :)

Cheers!

<snip> Are you supposed to "drive it like you stole it" after the treatment, or just normal highway driving?

I let mine idle in the drive for about 20-30 minutes after letting it soak for 20 minutes. By the time I got it out on the street I was only about 2 minutes to the tollway before I opened it up at 70mph for about 45 miles which I think did some good too. The smoke had already cleared out by this time.

One thing I noticed today is that the sputtering while idle, kinda a loping from 800-1000 rpms is still around. Tollway speeds and horses seem awesome and town cruising at 35-40mph doesn't bog now but the loping still lingers. I guess it could be due to many things only some of which seafoam would 'cure'.

I agree with Brooklyn tho... taking the drive while the infamous white cloud pours out is not something I would recommend doing where it might be hazardous to you or anyone else. I did my treatment in a rural area in the drive where there are a few acres before the nearest neighbor. I wouldn't consider doing this in my driveway in town where everyone is so close together. Not that I think it'll hurt anyone but it's alarming to say the least and could potentially miff the neighbors and/or police.

Have you cleaned you MAF and IAC, and double checked for vacuum leaks?

My 98 smoked an incredible amount (see write up in seafoam sticky) and then ran much better. The idle was rough after and I still had some hesitation so I inspected the plugs. They looked worn but pretty clean, I will replace them this weekend, but I cleaned and regapped then assured the plug wires were well connected using dielectric grease. The idle smoothened up, and the hesitation on acceleration gone. I am sold on this stuff. Check plugs if you have drivability issues after a treatment.

Hmm, I Don't know if I should do this to mine. I'm afraid of something might happen to the engine or the tyranny. I'm a little tight on cash for now so I shouldn't be taking this chance? What if something happens to the engine? This X is already giving me a lot of problems still after getting it checked out multiple times. And if so I should do it, Is there any Step by Step instructions to do it? Preferably with pictures?

Do a search in the forum there are many write ups on using this product. You can just dump it in your gas tank, or suck it with through intake manifold vacuum (use the hose that attaches to the pvc valve) I have not heard of any negative effect aside from fouling the spark plugs in some instances...but you can easily clean them (or replace) if needed.

Have you cleaned you MAF and IAC, and double checked for vacuum leaks?

I can honestly answer these questions, No, No and No.

1. I know I've seen writeups on here about cleaning the MAF, I'll look those up.

2. Same goes for the IAC from what little I recall.

3. Wouldn't have the first clue how or what to check for vacuum leaks.

Back