Security Systems | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Security Systems

Reaction score
I have a 97 Sport w/power everything and want a security system to protect my expensive stereo and exterior mods. I want one with all the works; remote start, keyless entry, power windows up/down, sunroof open/lose, perimeter and shock sensor, and the voice modulator. Has anyone got a similar set up, if so what kind, or can anyone recomend a system.

------------------
Red'97 Sport Loaded,
4x4,SOHC,Warrior Twist and Shackles 2inch lift,
BFG Mud Terrain LT265/75R16/D's, Chrome SmittyBuilt Outland Brushguard and Tail light Guards, PIAA 520 Fogs,PIAA 959 Fogs,
K&N, Flowmaster
Panasonic Cd player,Planet Audio DVC 10inch SUB, Planet Audio 600 watt amp,MA Audio 1.o Farand Capacitor, 4 Gauge Lightning Audio Wires Throughout,
Virtual Technologies Box,CB, PA

Planet Audio Seperates in all 4 corners on the way!

Try and look around at your local library. Forgot which Car Audio mag has it, but once a year they have a single issue specifically directed at Security System lineups. Sorry, I don't remember which one.

You should really go and visit the Car Audio Newsgroup, Rec.car.audio for real, professional advice. There are a lot of professional installers there and they will be able to tell you what works and what doesn't, because they always have stories about which security systems keep having to return to their shop for fixing and retweaking, sensitivity, false alarms, etc.

Just make sure you go to a really good shop for your security system. Any of the people who hang out there will tell you that a great security system is nothing if it's not installed properly. That means it will be a little more expensive than you might think. All the the small perks you want are really inexpensive now, like Keyless entry is almost standard. Remote start is like a little over 50 bucks extra depending. Call your insurance agency as well. Some systems will force you to enable the security yourself with your key chain fob, but others have that type that will just auto-turn on if the car is left and turned off. Some insurance companies supposedly give a small rebate if you have the auto-security. However, I didn't like it, because if someone is sitting in the car, the stupid thing keeps going off. Just some things to think about.

Good luck!

Back