Seek towing info | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Seek towing info

Greetings! Am seeking info on towing a '98 Explorer using a front-end fastened tow bar, using my '04 Expl. as tow vehicle. Need to drag it 1500 miles. Plan to remove both driveshafts, it's a V-8 AWD automatic trans, of course.

Does anyone know of any reason why this should not be attempted? I've never towed a vehicle with rack & pinioon steering gear; could that be a factor against towing? I've heard of "locking" the steering wheel of the towed vehicle, which always seemed dumb to me. I've towed small cars this way, long distances, but never an SUV-sized hulk.

Any thoughts would be appreciated! Thanks!

imp

Greetings! Am seeking info on towing a '98 Explorer using a front-end fastened tow bar, using my '04 Expl. as tow vehicle. Need to drag it 1500 miles. Plan to remove both driveshafts, it's a V-8 AWD automatic trans, of course.

Does anyone know of any reason why this should not be attempted? I've never towed a vehicle with rack & pinioon steering gear; could that be a factor against towing? I've heard of "locking" the steering wheel of the towed vehicle, which always seemed dumb to me. I've towed small cars this way, long distances, but never an SUV-sized hulk.

Any thoughts would be appreciated! Thanks!

imp

I don't see any reason why it won't work- removing the driveshafts eliminates all the problems with flat towing. Definitely wouldn't lock the steering, I haven't seen that done when flat towing. Really mind your braking distance, youll have a 5k trailer behind you for all intensive purposes.

The braking issue is the main reason you should not do this.

In my opinion, any braking system on any vehicle is designed to handle up to it's GVWR, not the combined GCVWR. Even if your '04 has the factory towing package, that makes no improvement to the brakes. Check the Ford towing guide, or your owners manual, and you will find requirements for when to use trailer brakes.

Your '04 probably has the same 6400 lb GVWR as my '06, and your combined weight is going to be at least 9000 lbs even if both trucks are empty. 2600 lbs (or more) over GVWR is way too much to take a chance with.

Back