Tow Bar Towing My Ranger Behind my Explorer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Tow Bar Towing My Ranger Behind my Explorer

Never used a Tow bar before so thought I would ask a few questions just so i feel better about the entire idea.

So i went shopping today and the idea of an $88.00 Tow bar sounds better and cheaper then an 20 ft car trailer to tow my Ranger.

Ive got an 1988 Ranger 2wd that I drag race the track is about 150 miles round trip and its not a very HWY friendly truck to drive. The weight is about 2650 lbs.

Looking at the instructions it looks to me like this tow bar unit is clipped onto the front of my 1988 Ranger Frame Horn Bolts JUST 2 grade 8 bolts holding this ranger on the tow bar doesnt sound safe to me but oh well they have been makeing the tow bars longer then ive been alive so they must know best.

1. Will My explorer have any problems towing this ranger flat tow on the highway not too many hills.

2. I just pull the driveshaft and , hook up tow bar and go?

3. How are the road manners of an 2dr explorer with an Ranger being towed behind it???

4. Leave the explorer in D or OD or does it matter.

I'm setup with an Class III hitch and 4 prong factory harness How do i wire in the signals on the ranger being towed Or just purchase 2 of the stick on the bumper type lights and run it that way?

any suggestions that may help me out let me know LOL This is going to be a weekly ( sat nigth ) tow so I want to spend the money with something thats going to work well for me.

The ranger has an C-4 so pulling the driveshaft is 4 bolts and thats it not a big deal at all. lock the steering wheel straight and how do you go about of running safety chains with this type of set-up?

Dave

1. Will My explorer have any problems towing this ranger flat tow on the highway not too many hills.

I don't think it will be a problem- its under your tow rating

2. I just pull the driveshaft and , hook up tow bar and go?

Check your tow bar throughly and lights. I believe the steering wheel should be unlocked.

3. How are the road manners of an 2dr explorer with an Ranger being towed behind it???

Your shorter wheelbase will attribute to less control. Id go slow until you see how it feels.

4. Leave the explorer in D or OD or does it matter.

I'm setup with an Class III hitch and 4 prong factory harness How do i wire in the signals on the ranger being towed Or just purchase 2 of the stick on the bumper type lights and run it that way?

If you only plant to tow occasionally, Id use the stick on lights.

The ranger has an C-4 so pulling the driveshaft is 4 bolts and thats it not a big deal at all. lock the steering wheel straight and how do you go about of running safety chains with this type of set-up?

I am almost certain you want the steering wheel unlocked to allow the truck to turn when you do. The tow bar should stabilize the truck.

awsome

thanks man

Do NOT lock the steering wheel. If your steering system works the way it is supposed to, the wheels will "follow" in the direction of travel. The steering wheel needs to be able to turn to do this. Just be careful for really sharp turns, it is possible for the wheel to turn too far, and not straighten itself. Also, do not plan on backing up at all.

just to make a point here

if your ranger isnt highway friendly to drive, why do you think its going to be better pulling?

You are still going to put wear on the rangers tires and suspension, and if its setup for dragracing, thats not a good idea.... Personally for a dragracing vehicle, id get a flat trailer, specially because if you brake something at the track, you MIGHT not be able to flat tow it home

Back