Shift motor or other? Read the Sticky, Did Searchs, ugh! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Shift motor or other? Read the Sticky, Did Searchs, ugh!

SwaintaN

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Carey, Ohio (Georgia Grown)
Year, Model & Trim Level
93 XLT
Jacked it up, got all four tires off the ground. Wife sat in back of the 93 X and you can hear the comp click (the lights on the dash do not light up because of blown bulb). had a friend; Jon, take off the shift motor and look/hold it. When I pushed the 4 hi, comp click, shift motor jerked, but did not change. Sat it to the side, manually put it into 4hi, worked like a charm with in seconds, (still no lights on dash, still blown, lol)

So since it jerks, but doesnt change (looking at it while its off) is it just the shift motor or should I look at a relay problem with the Comp. I read the sticky, I havent reset the comp yet, checked everything else and it all worked. Just GRR is all, got stuck on ice, and 4x4 would have helped, any help would be appreciated, thanks guys...

Sorry for another 4x4 problem

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

im going through the rebuild now, the light on the 4x4 button, dances whenever it likes. sometimes lit, sometimes not, wont be pushing the button and will still just come on.

...What does your bushing look like??...It sounds just like that is the problem...:dunno:

...That link I posted shows the fix as a piece of rubber hose I believe...;)

hehe, I hacked a part of a lead concrete anchor to the right size and put that in place of my dried out bushing.

works!

my original plan was to use a piece of copper pipe, but I didn't have one the appropriate size (wrong i/d and o/d)

Ok tore it all apart... yeah... problems! There was more then I could repair, so i spent the 80.00 and just got a new one, with replacement plan.
This was part of the problem
27133Tcase14.JPG
along with these wires being cut and missing
27133Tcase16.JPG
Well I ordered the new one, and the plug is different, the brown wire is not on it at all, and the magnet part is not on it.... what now:dunno:
picture.php
picture.php
picture.php
picture.php
ugh please help

It looks like you will need to pull the wires out of your old connector and put them in the new one. I "think" the rebuild thread for the shift motor talks about using a pic type thing to release the brown wire to take it out. Once out you can put them in the new connector.

~Mark

It looks like you will need to pull the wires out of your old connector and put them in the new one. I "think" the rebuild thread for the shift motor talks about using a pic type thing to release the brown wire to take it out. Once out you can put them in the new connector.

~Mark

Agreed.. it looks like you have a shift motor for later explorer models. As mentioned by Mark you can remove the connnector's center piece and re-use the old wire (double check the rest of the wires are correct).

got it done! thanks guys, yeah, pull the little rip retainer clip out of the prongs, bent wifes fork, released the three wires, put them in the new unit, thanks guys apprecaite it!

Sounds like the parts place had the box mis-labled

lol never know, but it works, from what i was reading on their site, some parts need modified to work, they are made to a "slim universal" style. but hey i spent 77.00 for a New **** motor with Lifetime warranty, all i pay is shipping of the motor back to them if something goes wrong.

ok guys, still need help, pulled the wires out, put wires in etc. put it up on 4 jack stands, threw her into 4x4 YAY, first time in 3 years 4x4 lights came on!!!! went into 4wd all tires went....

now the problem

in 4hi there is a very loud and scary clunk/twisting noise up in the front, that is in D and OD, i put it into 4lo and the switch was VERY VERY VERY loud, in and out. ill go to manual when I have the money BUT... what could the clunk/twist be?

If your saying that going into 4lo made a loud kathunk.. that is normal.. It depends on where the gear etc ended up. Once you put it in 4lo take it out then put it back and it will problably be quiet.

As for the twisting.. Are you saying that as you drive in 4x4 that it feels like things are binding? If so.. are you on pavement or hardpacked dirt/ground? If so.. STOP.. the part time 4x4 must be run on a surface that will allow the tires to slip. Without tire slipage it will bind and if your lucky the tire will slip before something breaks (like a hub or u-joint).

~Mark

:eek: wow im a dumb @$$!!! haha i did, as soon as it made the noise I turned it off yeah i had it on pavement long enough to see if it worked. but I stopped... yeah dont wanna break more.. give wife more to ***** about, hahahaha, thanks for the warning.. new to 4x4... if that isnt apparent :D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back