Shift motor or other? Read the Sticky, Did Searchs, ugh! | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Shift motor or other? Read the Sticky, Did Searchs, ugh!

The 4x4 will bind and grab like a rabbid tiger on dry pavement. It can bind so much that turning will be extremely difficult.. Pulling into a parking garage in 4x4 h (snowing outside) I still had it on and when I hit the dry pavement I couldn't move until I turned off 4x4..

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

for some odd reason i didnt think about it, but i turned it right off when i heard it, so i didnt break anything, so is it ok to use it in snow on the road or should still stay away from using it? living in ohio it snows 8 outa 12 months around here.

oh yeah since the front drive shaft hasnt had to work in god knows how long, should I redo the u joints on the drive shaft now that its working?

...I'm sure if you used the search you will find all kinds of hub info..;)

for some odd reason i didnt think about it, but i turned it right off when i heard it, so i didnt break anything, so is it ok to use it in snow on the road or should still stay away from using it? living in ohio it snows 8 outa 12 months around here.

You can use 4x4 on any surface that will allow the wheels to slip. (Off-road, or on wet pavement (snow, rain etc).

thanks guys, i figured i would get it fixed before winter so wife doesnt get stuck in drive way again :bsnicker: (i think it was an excuse not to go to work)

Isn't wet pavement pushing it though?

You can run in 4x4 High on the rain without any problems. Because the 4x4 system is true 4x4 (and not AWD) it splits power 50/50 between the front and rear drive shafts. As such torque wind up will exist between the front & rear axles proportional to the disparity between tire sizes (the greater the disparity in tires the greater the torque wind up). When the torque wind up exceeds a tire's traction the tire will break free :burnout:of the surface and spin releasing the pent up force.. Wet roads have alot less traction than dry roads and the release of torque is barely noticeable. On dry pavement however traction is so high that it could easily exceed the strength of a HUB, or U-joint and cause it to explode before the tire is able to break free..

For example: If the front and rear tires only differ in diameter by half a millimeter (0.5mm) the difference in circumference would be 1.57mm. As such for each revolution of the drive shaft the rear tires will try to move 1.57mm more than the fronts.

The circumference:
Rear = 75mm x 3.14 = 235.5mm (circumference)
Front = 74.5mm x 3.14 = 233.93mm (circumference)

Difference = 1.57mm

For each 1/2 mile (804,672mm) of travel the tires need to slip 22.9 revolutions to release the torque wind up.

Rear tire revolutions = 804,672mm/235.50mm = 3,416.9 revolutions.
Front tire revolutions = 804,672mm/233.93mm= 3,439.8 revolutions
difference = 22.9 revolutions

Back