should i pull the trigger on these? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

should i pull the trigger on these?

should i?

• Total voters

rokr1292

Reaction score
City, State
richardsville va
Year, Model & Trim Level
'01 Explorer Sport Trac

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

dont do it. save a little more cash. you can get a set of 3-way alpines or infinity's or even h/k's for around 60 bucks these days if you look hard enough. also, it wont matter what speakers you get if your deck is still stock. even if these sound marginally better than stock, you will soon be asking yourself why you didnt just save 50 more bucks and get some alpines. trust me, ive seen it a million times when i used to sell these things.

Really kinda set on components, any budget component speaker recs?

I kinda need them soon too, I have a rear speaker blown and a front speaker on the verge. And my headunit is a JVC XR-KW 610 double din. (Those letters are wrong for sure)

CIMG1581.jpg

CIMG1582.jpg

I have used this seller before. Bought my 4 Clarion speakers from him. I'm happy.

Try them and report back to everyone... Let us know how they work...

Yeah that's what im thinking is the worst case scenario. Im just afraid of being stuck with crappy sounding speakers. Noones heard of this brand?

go with a name you can trust, especially if you cant listen to them. the best advice i could suggest is to find a set that meets your needs spec wise on the net on sale, then go to a bestbuy or frys, find the speakers and give them a listen. bring a cd of the kind of music you like. they will let you demo it as long as it isnt profane. this will give you an idea of how any speaker will handle the types of hi's and lows you will be playing for the most part. dont look for bounce or stereo imaging when demo'ing at the store. the building will have totally different acoustics than the inside of your truck. look forclarity, level and distortion. i used to sell these things for years and believe me, a set of 3 way alpines will own a set of no name component set ups with tweeters. last thing, its not all about wattage. the difference between sets that peak at 35 watts and a set that peaks at 45 watts is indistinguishable. you need at least a 20 watt difference at those types of peaks to get any kind of difference. so if you find a set of alpines that peak at 50 watts, and a set of jensens that peak at 60, go with the alpines. when i used to sell these things we would all laugh at the guys who would go with the cheapies because they were cheaper and their specs were better on paper.

I'd go for it. They will definitely sound better than what you have now-;)

Worse case scenario is you could build boxes for them to use in the garage or on the patio.

here are a couple sets that i think fit what you are looking for.

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_500SPS...FFSubcategory|[rank51900]5"x7"/6"x8"+Speakers

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_068R573N/RetroSound-R-573N.html?tp=105

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Alpine+...air)/1807145.p?id=1218293494655&skuId=1807145

if you can hold out and save a bit more, the best speakers you can get in my opinion are alpine type-R series. you might be able to find them for 150/pair, but i know you are in a hurry to get something, so i think the ones i left links to should do you well. jvc makes decent decks, i used to have one myself in my old truck. remember, the key to any good setup is wiring so if there is one place you dont want to half ass, its wiring. you can buy the best gear in the world, but you would never know it if the wiring is done wrong with cheap material. trust me, i work in the music industry out here on the west coast. good luck!

Im with Turdle on this one, for 30$, thats a hell of a deal, and I promise they'll sound better than stock!

Are you running an amp? The HU is not goig to power them well at all.

I do not like the fact that they don't tell you the RMS of the speakers. That is a crucial number.

Theres no way those are 150w RMS, thats gotta be peak.

Theres no way those are 150w RMS, thats gotta be peak.

It says 300 watts total peak output (150 watts each) so correct that is peak power.

In my old ranger, stock wired dual 6x8s I got for 30 were good enough for me. Im not running an amp, at least not yet. Im just looking for decent sound for cheap. I don't listen to stuff really loud, volume isn't that important. My ears aren't well trained, soi wouldn't need top-of-the-line anything. I just need a good speaker to base my system with. Speaker prices to me are insane, I don't know why I want components really, just an idea I liked.

Ill just say it, im looking to get the best set of 4 speakers I can for a hundred bucks max.

I think youd honestly be good with those (Dunno if your ordering sets for the front AND back)

In my old ranger, stock wired dual 6x8s I got for 30 were good enough for me. Im not running an amp, at least not yet. Im just looking for decent sound for cheap. I don't listen to stuff really loud, volume isn't that important. My ears aren't well trained, soi wouldn't need top-of-the-line anything. I just need a good speaker to base my system with. Speaker prices to me are insane, I don't know why I want components really, just an idea I liked.

The problem with using components is they require more power than a full range speaker. I'm willing to bet your HU is putting out 15-20w RMS per channel at the most. Most component speakers need 60w RMS at the least.

I'll be quite honest. I have never been a fan of Pioneer speakers and have always used Kenwood's. Just recently (with in the last month) I wanted new speakers for my KIA Sportage. I ended up with a pair of Pioneer TS-G1643R
2 way 6.5" speakers as they sounded really good. They are rated at 30w RMS so your HU will have no problem powering them.

I got them at Wal-Mart for $40+ tax. A 6.5" will fit fine in an Explorer. You can buy the speaker adapters or make your own.

dan is right, if you dont have an amp that changes the whole equation. the deck is not going to do a good job of powering any component set up. go with a set of 2 or 3 way pioneers or kenwoods if you are looking to get good sound for under 100 bucks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I completely agree that if you're using the HU to power the speakers, you should be getting coaxials instead of components.

I'm also VERY skeptical of generic speakers using such names as "SPL". There are actually plenty of 'cheap' ones out there that aren't half bad, they are just made like old school stuff rather than the latest and greatest from more expensive manufacturers. But there is also a lot of pure garbage that is made cheap, cheap, cheap that looks flashy but in reality is poor quality stuff that works just long enough for you to lose the paperwork or the seller to close up shop.

I'd say you're better off with 6x8's, either 2-way or 3-way, something like Pioneer, Kenwood, etc. Even some cheesy JVCs to match might work. Walmart sells the Pioneer 6x8's for $59.99/pair, but you could also get some less expensive 6.5" coaxials and use adapter plates.

If you're looking for deals I'd say stick to either finding brand name sale/clearance stuff at audio shops, or major websites. Some people have good experience with audio equipment on ebay, but from what I've seen, most of the 'too good to be true' stuff is either cheap junk or refurbished but sold as new.

If you really want to try them though, I suppose you could get one set, replace the two blown speakers with them, (moving the components to the front), and if they do what you want, buy a second set. It's free shipping so you don't pay anything extra doing it that way, but you lose less if you can't return them once they're used.

Back