Smashing Pumpkin!!! Rick lays it over.... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Smashing Pumpkin!!! Rick lays it over....

We'll I'm officially a member of the roll over posse as of this afternoon. First time out on a good trail with the new coil overs. I was trying some different lines than normal of course, seeing what it would do.

Well... I found out what it wouldn't do. I placed a front tire on a rock... not even a very big one drove over it, the left rear tire started up it and the front right was down in an off camber loose down slope. Then it started to go over... super slow mo. I pushed the clutch in and it didn't help. At that point I looked at Char who was trying to stick her hand out! I yelled HANDS! And she yanked it in just in time to block a tree from hitting her in the face.

Next thing we know we are looking at each other asking if we're ok and then started laughing once we realized everything was fine.

Jeremy was the only person with us and he was way up the hill already. So still strapped in and sitting sideways I yelled "Jeremy Help"! Then I unstrapped my seatbelt and sat there... Jeremy came on down and gave me a hand so I could get out the window without crushing Char on the way out :D Char was next, I was sitting on the door and gave her a hand out.

Jeremy came back down the hill and lined up his truck so we could run our winch cable through a clevis and then back to the nerf bar, this set up a sling that we used to pull the truck back safely back over.

Oh what fun... NOT!!!

Damage... Roof is dented, passenger door is dented, right tailight was taken out as was the PIAA reverse light. Knock on wood that's it.

Here are the photos:

q1.jpg

q2.jpg

q3.jpg

q4.jpg

q5.jpg

q6.jpg

Videos:
http://www.explorerforum.com/layover/rollback1.mpg

Dead Link Removed

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

well now that just sucks!!!!!
Glad to hear everyone and mostly everything is ok though!!!!!

Well I'm glad you and char are alright.
now you dont have to worry about scratching it anymore.

Sorry to see that. Glad that everyone is OK. Hopefully there won't be very much damage. At least you didn't roll over and over and over and wreck every side of you car.:)

oooops

Glad you two are alright:D Hows the passengers side door frame?

Look at photo 1 you can see the rock I was up on with the back tire. The front went down in a hole with loose rocks, slipped and that's all she wrote the back tire just kept coming up... and over.

I really need to balance the suspension so the rear travels the same as the front, or this will become a regular occurance. :(

What you really can't see in the 2 dimensional photo is the steepness of the spot where the front tire slipped and went down into...

Trying to be a posser and he falls over......
And you weren't even trying to show off, that's a shame.

Glad to hear everyone is O.K. That is the most important part

What about oil leakage? Did you lose any of your fluids?

Glad to hear you and char are ok Rick.

Well, it sucks becoming a member of the rollover posse. I'm glad you and Char weren't hurt. I didn't dent my roof like you did but I did mess up the right doorskins and rear quarterpanel. You could try to Herculiner the doors to hide it like I did :D It's very fortunate you didn't take out any $$$ glass and etc.

Doorskins aren't all that expensive (and no one is tall enough to see the dent on your roof) so hopefully this won't be too painful for you. Like I said, I'm thankful you are okay.

I'm a little unclear on the real cause of the rollover. Does your front now have too much flex? Your front can take you places your rear can't follow?

Rick, glad to hear everyone is ok, got a question though, you gonna try to repair the pumkin at all or just leave it?

Glad you both are ok and in good spirits.

and

WELCOME TO THE ROLLOVER POSSE!!!!

Are you leaving the damage for a trophy or fixing it???

Just repair it so we can roll the window up. If it requires a new door then I'll paint it orange. If not then the dents stay

BTW, we haven't been worried about scratching it for a long time, there isn't a panel on the truck that doesn't have a dent or scratch and that was before this happened :D

Here are the rest of the photos from today's trip on Raw Deal. I will be adding my shots of Jeremy's truck when I get back from dinner.

The shots are out of order right now, the roll is before the run :D

http://www.explorerforum.com/layover

Nice job rick. Hope it doesnt become a regualar occurence. cant wait to see the damage at moab in a few weeks. Still ammazies me how you take such a nice looking rig out and wheel it so hard. More power to you.

Matt

that sucks rick.. first time out too! =P but you guys are on.. thats all the matters! =) the truck can be fixed.. and hey.. now you can spend more $$ on it too! =P

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

sorry for ya. Did you happen to catch the action on that video camera of yours? If so, I'd like to see it.

Back