Smashing Pumpkin!!! Rick lays it over.... | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Smashing Pumpkin!!! Rick lays it over....

We'll I'm officially a member of the roll over posse as of this afternoon. First time out on a good trail with the new coil overs. I was trying some different lines than normal of course, seeing what it would do.

Well... I found out what it wouldn't do. I placed a front tire on a rock... not even a very big one drove over it, the left rear tire started up it and the front right was down in an off camber loose down slope. Then it started to go over... super slow mo. I pushed the clutch in and it didn't help. At that point I looked at Char who was trying to stick her hand out! I yelled HANDS! And she yanked it in just in time to block a tree from hitting her in the face.

Next thing we know we are looking at each other asking if we're ok and then started laughing once we realized everything was fine.

Jeremy was the only person with us and he was way up the hill already. So still strapped in and sitting sideways I yelled "Jeremy Help"! Then I unstrapped my seatbelt and sat there... Jeremy came on down and gave me a hand so I could get out the window without crushing Char on the way out :D Char was next, I was sitting on the door and gave her a hand out.

Jeremy came back down the hill and lined up his truck so we could run our winch cable through a clevis and then back to the nerf bar, this set up a sling that we used to pull the truck back safely back over.

Oh what fun... NOT!!!

Damage... Roof is dented, passenger door is dented, right tailight was taken out as was the PIAA reverse light. Knock on wood that's it.

Here are the photos:

q1.jpg

q2.jpg

q3.jpg

q4.jpg

q5.jpg

q6.jpg

Videos:
http://www.explorerforum.com/layover/rollback1.mpg

Dead Link Removed

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Wow Rick you truck looked great in the before pic's I am glad you and Char are ok.

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Well I'm glad to hear that you are both okay. Char, I know you are a strong willed woman, but did you actually think you could stop the roll? Rick, It looks like that dent in the roof can be pounded out with the right sized hammer and hopefully you'll be able to tweek the passenger side windo frame back into enough of the original shape. Oh well, welcome to the elite of the the elite! At least now we have two things in common. The front diff and the passenger side! LOL.

Now you see how easy it is to roll :D..

At least the damage is slight, getting caught by that tree was good.

Damn Rick that tree branch came right in the window, are you trying to collect on Char's insurance policy?! Glad you are both okay. The door should pop out enough to roll the window. It's hard to get at the sheetmetal behind the crossbar but you should be able to work most of it out. You also might want to make sure the key still works. When I smashed my driver's door the key wouldn't turn until I banged the door skin out.

btw i was thinking... do you think maybe you rlled cause you run so little tire pressure? and the side wayy could not hold up? thats what it looks like the that one pic...

Mike

I was thinking the same thing Mike, it looks like the tire just slipped sideways to the max in that shot. I should have photographed it from the other side as well. The tire was pulled taught kinda amazing... Thing is other folks run that low of pressure all the time. Maybe it's due to the weight of the rig...

ya cause from the looks at some of those pics.. your allmost on your rim at times.. i think you need to up your PSI a little

dang rick that sucks! Oh well, it was bound to happen someday. i've enough close calls I"m still knockin on wood :).

Sorry to hear about that. Welcome to the rollover club. Maybe you can add "Rollover Member" under the moderator in our names. Just be glad it didnt look like my Old Sport Trac :hammer:

Ouch, Rick.....

And I had just voted for you as one of the best drivers I've wheeled with :D :rolleyes: :p

Ya play and ya pay :shrugsshoulders: :D

Well, I'm sure this is no consolation, but it could have been worse. I'm glad you and Char are OK. I also think you need to put alittle more air in your tires.:roll:

rick can you post the URL of the other pics from the day before you rolled?

Hey rick I think you should add "Rollover Posse Member" under each person's name that has rolled, including yours :D

Next time, does Char get to be on-top? :D

That really sucks Rick. I'm glad to hear that no one was hurt though.

Congrats???? :D You know me I think that's kind of cool. Like a passing of sorts... :) Now you have even more character dents.

Look what Hammer saw yesterday, you will never belive it!

Well it was pretty messed up yesterday. Whenever I go out with Rick I worry about trying to follow him. I worry that the lines he takes and cruises over without any problems will roll my truck right over. So after Rick helped me finish the last obstacle on upper Raw Deal I was pretty amazed to see him sitting on his side at the beginning of the 20 yard boulder garden.

I was parking my truck at the top of the hill as Rick was making his way back to his Rig, Char waited inside the Rig as I completed the obstacle. I heard Rick start up his rig as I started down the hill to help spot him. I had my video camera in hand to record the event but I could not see them yet. I was not worried as were Rick was parked he had a 90 degree left turn to make and then he could start up the boulder garden. When I came around the corner I heard Rick say "Jeremy Help”, I looked up expecting to see a large orange pumpkin. All I saw was a Tree shacking from side to side, 4 bouncy tires and the underside of Rick and Chars Ex!

After about 30 HOLLY SH*Ts! I made it to the site of the carnage. I yelled out " Are you guys OK?" Rick said "Yeah we are good". I ran around to the "Roof" side and I could not get close as the tree was all over the place. I asked Rick what I should do? He said to get to the winch and try and flip them over. I ran to the front of the truck and started pulling cable out. Rick and Char were still in the truck and I think I was still saying HOLLY SH*Ts! I then looked around and said, "What am I going to use as a winch point?" There are no trees in AZ! I told Rick I would have to get my truck. He said, "Well then I am getting out of here."

I looked up and he had his digital camera poking out of the window. (I guess he has his priorities). I climbed on the rear drive shaft then the spring to the slider and helped him up. The Truck was amazingly stable. It did not move as my 300lbs climbed on it and helped them out.

Once they were both out and OK we came up with a plan to get the truck rolled back over. I ran up to were my truck was parked and drove it down to a position where I could use the truck for a winching point. I used my 20,000lb strap and attached it to my front bumper at the frame; at the end I used my extra large D-ring Clevis to tie the two ends together. From Rick truck we took the front mounted winch cable to the D-ring and back to my 40,000lb strap that we looped around the rear of his driver side slider. The funny thing was Rick had a smaller D-ring that he could not find. He must have had some drain bramage cause he got it open and put it in his pocket. Understandable. With a few winds on the winch the truck was upright and we could access the damage. Rick took it like a champ. I would have run out in the desert never to be seen again, not really. But Rick and Char took it in stride.

I just wanted to also add that there was not 1 drop of fluid from any part of the truck spilled on the ground. Also after the truck lay on its side for 20 minutes when Rick started it up it had a little white some for about 10 seconds then nothing. It purred like a kitten. Rick has put together quite the rig, nothing spilled out of the passenger compartment and none of his trail tools and equipment moved from it originally secured and stored position.

Great job Rick and Char!
I look forward to further adventures with you guys!

Jeremy we're ready to do it again! Run with you that is not roll it LOL.

Thanks for all your help, we really appreciate you keeping calm under pressure also. And thanks for stopping by with video of the righting of the truck and the days events. I'll get all that online as soon as I have a chance.

Back