So what is the antenna for on the roof? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

So what is the antenna for on the roof?

Rhyalus

Reaction score
City, State
New York
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 Limited 4WD
Hey folks,

Is the antenna on the roof multi-purpose?

It does not look like a satellite antenna, so is it for FM radio or something else?

(Limited, 301A package)

Thanks,
R

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If its a small black square looking thing sitting towards the forward right hand side of the roof then it is for satellite radio as thats the antenna for it. Your FM/AM channels still come from the antenna on the front right fender. Now if you are buying it used and it has the factory radio with no option for satellite radio then its possible the previous owner had an aftermarket sirius or xm satellite radio installed in the car and removed prior to trading it in.

The antenna on the roof of the '11 is multi-purpose.

The best pic I could find was this one... the antenna sticking off the back of the truck.

ant.jpg

R

I think SirManny (hopefully not Ramirez)... is talking about older explorers...

The 2011 explorers have one bee stinger antennae at back which is for all radio/satellite communications

I think SirManny (hopefully not Ramirez)... is talking about older explorers...

The 2011 explorers have one bee stinger antennae at back which is for all radio/satellite communications

I have an 07 Mountaineer and I drive a 11 Explorer for work so I know the new Explorers as well as the older ones. I was thinking about the older Explorers when I commented so I retract my previous statement as the 11 Explorer has the ugly antenna on the back.

I just received my Ingot Silver shark fin from Visual Garage in the mail today. They quoted me a lead time of 2 weeks to produce it, but it came in 5 days. Now I just need the X to put it on... :D

I just received my Ingot Silver shark fin from Visual Garage in the mail today. They quoted me a lead time of 2 weeks to produce it, but it came in 5 days. Now I just need the X to put it on... :D

Please post how easy/hard it is to install and if it effects your reception at all. I'm thinking about getting it because my antenna hits the garage door and it sounds like I'm going to rip it off when I back out!

I would also be interested in any feedback of the shark fin antenna. I am afraid the stock antenna will be to tall for my garage, as well.

I was also quoted 2 weeks, but have not placed the order yet.

I can't even find Ford on their list of vehicles to order it......

I also have Sirius, and I'm presuming it is in the same antenna (base I guess), will this fit over that base? I'd hate to spend $80 and then have it not fit over the base. I'm not even sure if it is a larger base for Sirus....

Please post how easy/hard it is to install and if it effects your reception at all. I'm thinking about getting it because my antenna hits the garage door and it sounds like I'm going to rip it off when I back out!

I'm still waiting on my X to arrive, but this thread shows a few pictures and has a link to a prior install on a Flex. Seems fairly easy and the results look good.

Back