• Register Today It's free!

SOHC 5-speed swap

Demon5oh

Reaction score
City, State
Branchland, WV
Year, Model & Trim Level
'00 Sport 4x4
Hey everyone I'm new here so I'll give you a lil background before I ask. I'm 21 yrs old, 2 yrs machinist experience, above average mechanical ability, I have access to almost any tools imaginable, and I built the Mustangs in my sig. But anyways, I was just wondering if anyone has ever swapped a 5-speed into an AWD SOHC? Would the 5-speed from a ohv engine bolt up? What could one do about the computer?

Thanks

Todd

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yes the M5OD can be swapped in. I think that 6 of the 7 holes will line...bolt up, but it has been done a couple times. Do a search for 4.0 OHV to 4.0 SOHC swaps...I remember reading about this in a few different posts. May take some researching but use the search key and read through posts on the above topic. You'll find um.

teh SOHC came with a 5 speed behind it, grab one of those and you are golden.

You sure your SOHC truck is AWD not 4wd?

410Fortune said:
teh SOHC came with a 5 speed behind it, grab one of those and you are golden.

You sure your SOHC truck is AWD not 4wd?

Control Trac II is AWD b/c there is no 2HI option (unless you brown wire mod it)

Ford did not put a 5 spd manual behind the SOHC until '01. So if you have a earlier model you'll need to have your chip reburned or risk putting an '01+ computer in a earlier vehicle

the 04 ranger drivetrain a friend pulled has the SOHC, 5 speed, and a BW1354 t case :) it also has the PATS theft system built in so yeah your computer would need to be flashed to eliminate the auto trans control circuits otherwise you will get a CEL.
Or swap over to the later model computer as Hokie said and have the PATS system removed from it.

Hokie said:
Control Trac II is AWD b/c there is no 2HI option (unless you brown wire mod it)
Its still not officially AWD, its Auto 4WD. And yes there is a difference. :p

EDIT: Also, there is a reason the SOHC never came with a manual trans until '01. Ford had to beef up the trans to handle the extra power of the SOHC. So I'm not sure putting an older M5OD is a good idea.

M5OD is that what they are calling the Mazda these days?

They are good trannies, but I agree with Jefe, I dont like them any more then I like the A4LD, the pre 95 Mazda 5 speeds that is...some last forever some are junk.

Yea mines the Auto 4wd BS, I hate it. So I can use the tranny and computer from an '01 model? Will I be able to use my transfer case behind it or would I have to use the one from the donor truck? How would I have the PATS removed? Thanks alot guys.

Todd

Jefe said:
Its still not officially AWD, its Auto 4WD. And yes there is a difference. :p

EDIT: Also, there is a reason the SOHC never came with a manual trans until '01. Ford had to beef up the trans to handle the extra power of the SOHC. So I'm not sure putting an older M5OD is a good idea.

Yes, its the M5OD-HD

And yes, I know there is a difference between a gear driven full time awd unit and a 2spd locking center transfercase (I am a Mechanical Engineering student co-op'ing for one of the largest automotive suppliers in the world ~ Robert Bosch Corp) my dad currently has both parked on his driveway :p

Back